63V J8 4Spd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63V J8 4Spd.

hey guys I just went to look at the Daytona that has been in a garage for over 10 years just 2 mile from mt house. I had no idea it was there till 6 months ago. Anyway the body tag is listed as above, with the 4SPD TAG [] still in place, although as we were standing there his little boy ran up and grabbed it and folded it over and darn near sanpped it in half [:0].

The vin number is 63 36860, I know it was a 4 spd car but now it has a 283 chevy and a 4 spd, i don't know if the 4spd is original or has been swapped. Would they have bolted up the same or not?

Oh yeh, at some point it has recieved a new front clip 64 or up and new rear clip. the rear tail lights have the vent system in them, I think that was 66' model right?

Hes not sure what hes gonna do with it but not in a real hurry to decide.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

no, the Stude 4-speed would not work with the Chev engine without him either drilling the crank for a bigger/deeper pilot bushing or else swapping the input shaft of the Stude 4-speed. And I believe a '63 would have had a Ford pattern trans anyway. So it is probably just coincidental that it remained a 4-speed after the engine swap.

just thought, is it possible that the car is really a '65-6 car that's had the tags swapped? Can you tell what year the interior/dash are?

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Ah, Nate... a J8 would be a hardtop - of which there weren't any in '65-66.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

right... ya got me. It just seemed odd that it would have a Chevy drivetrain AND later front/rear sheetmetal. I know that a 4-speed wasn't an option, but I believe a 3-speed was, so it'd be no big deal to make a Chevy T-10 work with a few parts from SASCO and possibly a custom driveshaft. (just pointing that out so you didn't think I was a complete n00b.)

I completely brain faded on the J8 bit though... just didn't register.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I s definatly a 63' as it has a 63 dash just like my R1 wagon, and it is a HT.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Way back in 1969 I replaced burned out FoM in my '65 Cruiser with a T-10 4 speed removed from of a '62 Daytona.
            It 'kinda-sorta bolted up' to the chevy bell-housing/clutch assembly that I bought from one of my 'Chevy' buddies.
            In other words out on the ground, the T-10 bolted right up, but when I went to install it in the car- Oh Oh!
            The Stude in-put shaft was way too long, being a 'creative' teen, I wasn't about to let a little detail like that stop me, I used dad's carbide bladed concrete saw and whacked about an inch off that shaft and tried 'er again!
            Close, but still not quite, and the through-out sleeve was close to the pressure plate, I didn't want to have to wrestle that trans out again, so off to the hardware store for two dozen large washers to fit between the trans and bell-housing, half a dozen on each bolt and she finally was bolted in place.
            On start up I 'discovered' that I had inadvertently made the input-shaft a press-fit into the Pilot bearing. it squalled like crazy for about 30 seconds while it 'clearanced' itself
            With a little welding, I was also able to adapt the '62s clutch linkage to the '65 different dash mounting, and sourced a correct length drive-shaft from the local wrecking yard.
            It was crude, but it stood up a tremendous amount of daily abuse, for tens of thousands of miles, and out lasted the engine itself.
            I removed the badly worn 283 at my father-in-laws place in 1970 anticipating doing a rebuild or replacement-
            Then some low-life went and stole my 'chevyBaker' 4 speed! I 'moved on' to a series of Big Block 'Muscle Cars', and to my everlasting regret, sold my Stude minus the engine and trans.

Comment

Working...
            X