Report from Carlisle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from Carlisle...

Just got back from Spring Carlisle. You would never know we're in a bad economy by seeing what's going on there...lots of people seem to to be spending money. I saw lots of body parts being carried out...the automotive kind, anyway. Maybe the buyers were leaving behind an important personal body part or two in trade.

Not much Studie stuff that I could recognize...mostly old signs, ads, owners manuals, etc., but I really didn't expect to see much Stude stuff. I skipped the car corral as that's too dangerous and time consuming for me, but in the vendor area I did spot a '63 4-door sedan for sale...289, automatic, 51k miles. It looked in very nice, original condition. The hood wasn't open so I couldn't see how the engine bay looked.

The price...$35k! I checked to make sure the sign didn't say $3500 but $35,000 was correct. I guess the guy really doesn't want to sell it.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Awhile back, Bruce, we were treated to a picture of a 1963 Lark 4-door that had been involved in a what appeared to be a deliberate explosion to kill the driver, and it probably did. The car was horribly blown apart and probably "totalled" three or four times over.

Perhaps the car you saw for sale was that very explosion car, and that's what it cost him to put it back together! (Nostalgia, you know....[}]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was primarily looking for the new Hot Wheels Avanti's...some have found them at Wal Mart...I've tried there, Toys R Us, Target, hobby stores...no luck. I figured if anyone had them, it would be the vendors who specialize in models and die cast cars at Carlisle...none that I tried had them. I guess the Ebay vendors bought them all up to sell at a "reasonable" price plus unreasonable shipping costs.

I did find a book there called "Barris...Cars if the Stars", about customizer George Barris and the vehicles he did for various celebrities. There is a short chapter on Paula Murphy and the '64 Avanti he customized for her back in the day. It also shows a Jaguar XK120 done for boxing champ Archie Moore. The Jag looks suspiciously like the one Raymond Loewy had done. The books states it had a "special Farina-designed aluminum body". Maybe Farina fabricated the body, but it sure looks like Loewy's car. I guess it's possible it could have ended up with Archie Moore, or is a copy of the Loewy car.

The book is full of cars Barris did for celebrities, such as the Paula Murphy Avanti...cars built for celebrities such as John Wayne, Bob Hope, Ann-Margaret, Elvis Presley, and many more. Some seemed highly customized, some with custom touches to make them more practical. Makes you wonder where these cars are now and do the current owners know their provenance?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

I was primarily looking for the new Hot Wheels Avanti's...some have found them at Wal Mart...I've tried there, Toys R Us, Target, hobby stores...no luck. I figured if anyone had them, it would be the vendors who specialize in models and die cast cars at Carlisle...none that I tried had them. I guess the Ebay vendors bought them all up to sell at a "reasonable" price plus unreasonable shipping costs.
        You can find them here. Do a search for Avanti. I just got some a few weeks ago.

http://mivasecure.abac.com/rdtwcolle.../merchant.mvc?

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger
          The book is full of cars Barris did for celebrities, such as the Paula Murphy Avanti...cars built for celebrities such as John Wayne, Bob Hope, Ann-Margaret, Elvis Presley, and many more. Some seemed highly customized, some with custom touches to make them more practical. Makes you wonder where these cars are now and do the current owners know their provenance?
          I haven't bought the book yet (since I don't think my car is in it..but it was in an earlier book by Barris with a similar name) but I've never heard of Barris doing an Avanti other than the four-square headlight "1965 prototype" that was at the Spokane meet.

Barris did a range of work from custom paint for Lennon's Rolls or Clint Eastwood's Ferrari (which recently sold for big money...but not because it was his) to slight customs, to major customs (Dean Martin's El Dorado wagon, John Wayne's vista roofed Pontiac wagons) to all out show cars. (If you know where those wagons are, let me know!).

To answer your question about the car's whereabouts...some survive some don't.
          I fear the lesser mods (a slight custom Lincoln convertible for the star of "The Man From UNCLE" and a Jaguar sedan with macabre touches...like casket handles...for the female star of "The Munsters") were probably sold on as used cars after their original owner tired of them.

Sadly, I understand some of the more way-out (not really driveable) show cars from the late 60s done by Barris and others, were parted out in the 80s-90s for their now rare drivetrains.

There are folks that have made a point of saving and collecting some of Barris cars...I know of a guy in New York and another in Michigan with a couple of Barris cars apiece. But there still is some attrition, one of the two sisters to my car was recently bought and torn apart by its new owner in an attempt to make it look more authentic (not that they look bad now, you have to be a Stutz fan to spot the differences). Trouble is, a lot of the cars value lies in it being a Barris creation, so he probably didn't do himself any financial favors by his modifications. When I've made changes to my car (like a corrrect fuel tank) I've kept the old parts for a future owner.

I'd like to see a book on Barris cars featuring the cars as they appear today. Like Dick's Ute, show cars have long lives and occasionally change over time. Beisides, it would be fun to get "the rest of the story".
          Sorry for the lack of Stude content...[:I]

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Awhile back, Bruce, we were treated to a picture of a 1963 Lark 4-door that had been involved in a what appeared to be a deliberate explosion to kill the driver, and it probably did. The car was horribly blown apart and probably "totalled" three or four times over.
            Are you serious?!

[u]JEFF! Get your gun!</u>

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

As much as I enjoy the Carlisle swap meets, they never are extremely high in Studebaker content. But still well worth attending if you like cars, parts and automotive memorabilia at all!

Comment

Carlisle is great if you are looking for a part you cant find, and are willing to pay three times what its worth when you find it.

I've run across very few deals at Carisle, and I dont even bother going any more, even though I only live a few hours away. Stuff is just too ridiculously priced.

Comment

Working...
                X