Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Eye Candy

Gordon Williams

For those who may be wondering: Yes, the 1963 Standard pictured is the same one shown in black & white on Page 64 of the February 2009 Collectible Automobile, within my article on High-Performance Studebakers.

It was ordered, built, and shipped as an R1/heavy-duty Flightomatic Standard and initially raced as such. Then, Gordon Williams reconfigured it as an R2 and raced it as shown in Rich's picture, above. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey Blob,the rear quarter says "bite by Cassler",but that looks like Good Year on the sidewall!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

Hey Blob,the rear quarter says "bite by Cassler",but that looks like Good Year on the sidewall!
        Cassler wasn't a brand name of tire, it was a tire STORE in Southern California (Ontario?). Bill Cassler popularized recapped cheater slicks. Those are probably his on Good Year casings.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick is there any thing you don't have the answer to??? You just come with it all, not that it is bad but, wow. I do like them standards ...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

What Dick said.

PLUS:

1. There's only one "S" in CASLER.

2. Look on the Page 64 photo in Collectible Automobile. That's an earlier photo.

Bite By Casler is already on the car...but it clearly has different rear tires on it than in this thread's subject photo.

So he probably changed tires without changing the lettering on the rear fenders. The tires shown could either be Goodyears or, as Dick suggests, Casler 'caps on Goodyear casings. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hmm, is that a plaid firesuit he's wearing?

Comment

Whaddya wanna bet he whomped that Star Chief in this match-up???[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Whaddya wanna bet he whomped that Star Chief in this match-up???[}]
                  That he did, Bob. You can interpolate that from the photo caption, even though part of it is missing. This is an eliminator race, so the Stude probably started with a handicap. He'd be understandably behind at the git-go...at least until Uncle Paxton started blowing off again.

Check out the front fender on that Poncho: The emblem in the rear center of the fender is either Tri-Power (probably) or Fuel Injection (not so probable, given 1958 production figures). BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Dick is there any thing you don't have the answer to??? You just come with it all, not that it is bad but, wow. I do like them standards ...Bob

Hey, Bob...if it was "Bite by Bruce", you would know it right away, I'm sure. Bruce's Tires was the Casler equivalent in the Bay Area at the same time.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

J&M is still around here in Riverside. I wonder if anyone there remembers this Lark.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Umm... I am going to have to dissagree with you guys on that so-called "Star Chief". If you take a closer look, you see the front fender "sweeps" (not sure if they are really called that) behind the wheel arch, and on the roof, there is what looks like a fake "air extractor". Those two peices (along with the covered up rear spear chrome) were exclusive to the Bonneville. I would normally not have said anything, but my father raised me under the Poncho banner, and has owned a 1958 Star Chief all my life, so I am pretty familiar with them...

BTW< my dad would love to see this picture, the Lark (what I got) versus the 1958 Poncho (what he got). Then when I get to tell him the Lark won...LOOK OUT! (of course, both of ours are a lot slower than the ones racing in this photo)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

Nathan "tutone63" is correct; closer inspection confirms it is a Bonneville. Good eye, Nathan. BP

Comment

Working...
                          X