Congratulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations

Congratulations to John and Tracy Smith's fine article, "A Studebaker Family Story", in the May 2009 Turning Wheels. Also nicely illustrated with one photo of their very young daughter up to her shoulders in soap subs washing the pickup truck. This illustrates what the Studebaker disease is all about. A pleasure!!

Frank Drumheller
    Louisa, VA
    60S-W6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

You got the May edition already?! Thats no fair! [)] I am looking forward to this story.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thank you, Frank! We are anxiously waiting by the mailbox for our copy. We're glad to hear that little Jillian got her picture in the magazine, too. That's one of our favorite pictures! We really appreciate your kind words.

John and Tracy Smith
      Queen Creek Arizona
      http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
      [IMG]

Comment

Two months in a row I received mine by the 21st. No extra fee. [^] Great, positive article, you two.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelark

Congratulations to John and Tracy Smith's fine article, "A Studebaker Family Story", in the May 2009 Turning Wheels. Also nicely illustrated with one photo of their very young daughter up to her shoulders in soap subs washing the pickup truck. This illustrates what the Studebaker disease is all about. A pleasure!!
          Darn, Frank! What did you do- go rip one of the press at Good Printers?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Got mine yesterday, also.

Comment

Yes, John and Tracy; an excellent article. Thanks so much. (I don't get my Turning Wheels earlier than anyone else; it just arrived today, April 23rd.)

Frank Drumheller is spot on: The picture of little Jillian on Page 31 is Top Contender for Most Precious Picture of 2009, if not the decade. I kind of teared up looking at it, actually; it wasn't that long ago my little girl looked just like that...how could she now be 27 years old, carrying our first grandchild? Where did the years go?

Question for John and Tracy: How did John distress the lettering on the doors to make it appear so aged? It looks very believable and authentic; no wonder it fools people.

A job well done all around, John & Tracy; much appreciated.

For many years, the Studebaker Drivers Club published a pamphlet entitled, "What's it all About?" by Fred Fox, IIRC, describing the nature of our club and the fellowship among members. The John & Tracy Smith family "posed for that picture." BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[/quote]
                Darn, Frank! What did you do- go rip one off the press at Good Printers?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope. I received my copy in Tuesday's (Apr. 21st) snail mail courtesy of the USPS. I did not snitch an early copy from GP. I admit I have been known to do that before!! An editor's privilege!![}]

Frank Drumheller
                Louisa, VA
                60S-W6
                1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Time to start watching the mailbox! (I give it a few more days, maybe a week at the most)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

Bob, thanks for all of your kind words! In answer to your question on the logo, we made a stencil and traced it into the truck with pencil. We then used a paintbrush to apply two coats of oil-based white enamel paint for the lettering. After it dried, we lightly wet-sanded it with very fine grit sandpaper. What helped the cause was the fact that there was still a bit of surface rust on the truck at that time, so it blended in with the white as we sanded. We also didn't have the fear of harming the truck's finish! We did over-sand some of the letters and had to repaint them and start over. The whole process was trial and error, but we had a blast and ended up very happy with the results.

John and Tracy Smith
                    Queen Creek Arizona
                    http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
                    [IMG]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelark
                      Darn, Frank! What did you do- go rip one off the press at Good Printers?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope. I received my copy in Tuesday's (Apr. 21st) snail mail courtesy of the USPS. I did not snitch an early copy from GP. I admit I have been known to do that before!! An editor's privilege!![}]
                      [/quote]
                      I retract my accusation. I got mine yesterday. I think that's the earliest I have ever had mine show up.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                      X