'64 R-1 GT on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 R-1 GT on eBay

Is there something fishy here? A '64 GT is listed showing a R-1 engine, fender emblems, 160 speedo, but the listing doesn't mention being Avanti engined. The Buy-it-Now seems a little low if the car/listing is true.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...1%7C240%3A1318

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

64V4817 is on the JT Production List as an original R1/4-speed 1964 Hawk in Astra White with Black Vinyl Interior, Paul. Not a full package car, but it was shipped with power steering, disc brakes, and Twin Traction. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great catch for someone obsessed with '64 Astra White cars. Wonder if he has a Wagonaire, too? People collect them like that, you know? [)]

Comment

Says with rebuilt R1 engine. Sounds like too good to be true and the buy it now is cheap even if it doesn't have a JT engine number. For sure it once did and may still. Somebody needs to snatch that car. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That looks like a nice car!

The car is in Coralitos, Ca. Coralitos is just outside of the SF Bay Area on the Coast south of Santa Cruz.

The seller has employed a "selling service" in Las Vegas to list it and sell it for him. I don't think this service is doing him any favors. Required high opening bid. "Glitzy" listing that will turn off buyers that will be thinking it is a dealer car. Selling service has less than stellar feedback. Short description. No way to get in touch with the owner directly. Looks more like an ad for the selling service than an ad for the car.

Maybe Bob Peterson knows this car?

BTW, I had my black Starliner hot rod at the Stanford Concours in 2003 he mentions. I took a picture of the car, but I don't remember it...

I do remember a certain early Alfa Giulietta Spider I obsessed about []...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, my grandmother in Ohio sold that very model Alfa in dark blue with red interior for $300, right before my 16th birthday while I was in Altadena. She wanted a car with an automatic.

Comment

According to the information I have as of 2003 for 64V4817, R-1, 4 spd, non-package, the owner 'is/was' Paul Freitag of Palo Alto, California.

Barry Leppan
              Burlington, Ontario, Canada
              64 Daytona HT 5-spd
              64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
              GT Hawk Registry
              SDC Hamilton Chapter
              Barry Leppan
              Ontario, Canada
              64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
              GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Brilliant sales pitch! I am sure someone looking for a classic car is going to want "TWIN TRACTION" because "IT IS GREAT FOR SNOW AND MUD! HE should get his money back and list it himself.

John Clary
                Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Brilliant sales pitch! I am sure someone looking for a classic car is going to want "TWIN TRACTION" because "IT IS GREAT FOR SNOW AND MUD! HE should get his money back and list it himself.

John Clary
                  Isn't that the truth, John. I think Dick Steinkamp adequately summarized the current marketing situation for this car, generally centered around the word UGH! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have seen that car before! Last year my wife and I took a trip to Monterey and this was one of 2 Studes we spotted on the trip. The other was a red 53 custom convertible in Santa Cruz.

Unfortunately, the GT was only a drive by sighting, but I distinctly remember seeing a white GT in Coralitos. It was parked in a yard in a residential district. It was Sunday morning early and it looked like noone was home, otherwise we probably would have stopped. Should have taken a picture at least! Sorry I never saw it up close to offer an opinion, but from the road, it was an eye catcher.

Rob in ND
                    '53 Commander Hardtop resto-mod (work in process)

Rob in ND
                    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

Yes I know the car very well, and also know Paul Freitag he has mover to Coralitos about a year ago after his mother passed away, nice guy, comes to a few meets a year it is an R-1 engine with 4 speed ect. as the ad states, If any one has questions about the rebuild call Carl at Studebaker West 650-366-8787 closed between 12-1 p.s.t. car used to belong to Jim Springer, he has come down on his price from before last time I talked to him he wanted $15,000.00 this one might be had for $10,000.00 if you talk to him and get away from the so called selling machine, I don't have his number but could get it if some one is really interested in it, but only if you are really interested. no games...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I just talked to Carl at Studebakers West and if any one has questions he will answer them the best he can, also I just got off the phone with the owner Paul and asked if it would be ok for people on the forum call him if they are interested, he said sure, but please only call if you are really interested and he said he would take $11,000.00 and get it away from this outfit he is using, he is not happy with them any way, I think anyone getting this car at this price will be happy....Bob

Paul 831-761-1526

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

These people are supposed to be automotive professionals and there is not one picture of the front seats and they do not know how to spell Concours d'Elegance.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X