A/C parts identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C parts identification

I have is what I think is a NOS set of pulleys and brackets to mount air conditioning components under the hood of a Studebaker. I am having a hard time finding any numbers in the catalogs I have. Does anyone have any pics or part numbers for the brackets and pulleys? Could you buy these items in kit form?
    I told you that my new Studebaker aquisition would bring on all kinds of questions!![]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

I have is what I think is a NOS set of pulleys and brackets to mount air conditioning components under the hood of a Studebaker. I am having a hard time finding any numbers in the catalogs I have. Does anyone have any pics or part numbers for the brackets and pulleys? Could you buy these items in kit form?
    I told you that my new Studebaker aquisition would bring on all kinds of questions!![]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie,

The pulleys and brackets are in the [u]Body</u> Parts Manual in the Accessory (AC) section at the front.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

There's also thew possiblity of having aftermarket stuff, which sometimes looks nothing like factory stock pieces.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It is supposed to be NOS Studebaker, but who knows. I haven't had any luck with the catalogs, so I have included a picture. Maybe someone will recognize it.
        [img][/img]

Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Aftermarket!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

No wonder I could not find any matching numbers. [:I] I hope it at least fits a Studebaker. I think it does. Thanks Biggs. Well, it is someone's NOS kit.

Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Oh, it'll fit alright. I've got one or two of those setups lyin' about here. I took them off of cars that came my way or that I scavenged in local junkyards.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

The Studebaker bracket is unique in that the idler pulley mounts in a slot on the bracket and is tightened or loosened by sliding it in that slot. It is a poor design- very difficult to tighten properly. The aftermarket bracket works much better.
                Also, the heater hose connection on a Studebaker a/c is a pipe nipple that screws in to a tapped hole on the top of the driver's side of the water manifold (that hole won't be there on a non air conditioned car). The aftermarket uses a fitting that replaces the plate on the back of the head.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks guys. You have come to the rescue again

Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

I'll have to check mine out. Even though the build sheet says "60 climatizer" the heater hose comes off the rear of the passenger side head? Any ideas Mr. Biggs, you had it for a long time. The compressor is not original (I think) as it has two pulley grooves and only room for one belt on the water pump and crank pulleys.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

It is supposed to be NOS Studebaker, but who knows. I haven't had any luck with the catalogs, so I have included a picture. Maybe someone will recognize it.
                      [img][/img]

Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC
                      Jamie look at that drive pulley. Very easy to install. But held on with only the center bolt. This bolt would get a little loose, then a little more till failure. Usually a vibration set in and the gaskets(bottom of the bracket) on the water header would start to leak, then engine over heat. this design wasn't the best aftermarket came up with, but widely use because of the ease of installation. or the pulley would just fall off.

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4-speed wagonaire

I'll have to check mine out. Even though the build sheet says "60 climatizer" the heater hose comes off the rear of the passenger side head?
                        There is one of these heater hose fittings shown on Jamie's Pic, so you can compare to yours. These are definitely aftermarket.

It sounds like your car is a "Hybrid", part Stude. Air & part aftermarket Air, maybe because it has seen time in an Air Conditioning Shop.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't think I'll be using this setup. I like the look of Ray's much better. I think this kit is headed towards Ebay.

Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

Actually Bill, I don't think that car was here even one year. I don't remember looking at the AC stuff with intensity.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

Jamie here are pictures of the original AC Compressor Bracket used on Stude V8s. Its a complicated and busy piece of iron: five pieces welded into one with peculiar bends, cuts and holes punched. Also attached are the idler pulley which adjusts by sliding in its slot and being tightened via a spacer, washers and a nut, and a special alternator bracket.

It was designed to carry a Borg Warner York (TCCI) compressor, but there are also bolt-on adapter plates that make it work with a Sanden. Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X