This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Studes in old magazines

There was a thread about custom Studebakers in old magazines but I can't find it, so I am starting a new one, because I think this car is so interesting. It is a 55 Studebaker that was owned by an instructor at El Camino college in Los Angeles. Besides customizing the body, he has added a lot of wild features like automatic steering. The article says the automatic steering actually works and can go around a curve with touching the steering wheel, although he admits that it is impractical for everyday driving. He claims to also be experimenting with automatic braking when the car gets close to an object (actually, Packard also expermented with that in the 50s) The monitor under the dash controls the automatic steering and other devices. It also had an RCA record player/hi fi.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

I LIKE it!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I LIKE it!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Wonder what happened to this car.

Comment

Wonder what happened to this car.

Comment

Rear end looks like 57 ford.Fins and taillights.Even side trim is like 57 ford.I wonder did ford see this and have a (better idea)?

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Rear end looks like 57 ford.Fins and taillights.Even side trim is like 57 ford.I wonder did ford see this and have a (better idea)?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Since the 1957 Ford came out in 1956 and was styled and tooled well in advance, I think the opposite may have been the case. I do like the grille on this custom.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Since the 1957 Ford came out in 1956 and was styled and tooled well in advance, I think the opposite may have been the case. I do like the grille on this custom.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Since the 1957 Ford came out in 1956 and was styled and tooled well in advance, I think the opposite may have been the case. I do like the grille on this custom.

Gary L.
                    This magazine was dated September 57, so actually the 58 Fords were about to be released. I wonder if this car still exists.
                    Here is another customized Stude from Custom Cars Annual 1958.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:Since the 1957 Ford came out in 1956 and was styled and tooled well in advance, I think the opposite may have been the case. I do like the grille on this custom.

Gary L.
                      This magazine was dated September 57, so actually the 58 Fords were about to be released. I wonder if this car still exists.
                      Here is another customized Stude from Custom Cars Annual 1958.

Comment

Blocking off the grille area on '53-'55 C/K bodies was a quite common custom touch. The write up makes it sound like the stock back up lights are some kind of special custom fabrication.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Blocking off the grille area on '53-'55 C/K bodies was a quite common custom touch. The write up makes it sound like the stock back up lights are some kind of special custom fabrication.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here's one I owned recently. It was in the August TW...

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's one I owned recently. It was in the August TW...

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X