X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seller claims r2 Lark FS

Someone should check this out... doubt it's true, but JIC:

Quote from seller:

"This is the Studebaker that came from the factory with a Supercharged engine,hence the missing engine/transmission."

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1129683727.html

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Interesting, I'd say there is a fair chance that it was a Avanti R1 or R2 Jet Thrust or Super JT Powered Lark, but with it's Engine and Trans. missing, a large part of it's value is gone, but hey $1500.00 is good if it isn't a rust bucket! []

Somebody needs to get right down there to POTRANCO! Everyone knows where that is right?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Somebody needs to get right down there to POTRANCO! Everyone knows where that is right?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      Good one Rich!

I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between the car coming factory equipped with an R2 engine having something to do with why it (the engine) was removed... to me, that would be a stronger reason to have restored the car intact - not take it apart??? [8)][B)][?]

'Course what do I know - I'm a truck guy... [:0]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
        I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between the car coming factory equipped with an R2 engine having something to do with why it (the engine) was removed... to me, that would be a stronger reason to have restored the car intact - not take it apart??? [8)] [B)] [?] [:0] Mark
        Yeah- No kidding, eh [?] [?] [?]
        I know of someone on this Forum who got an eBay seller
        to end an auction early on a restorable '63 Cruiser~

JUST SO HE COULD PULL IT'S R1!!!

I NEVER could figure that one out. Money talks, I guess.

As far as I know~ the rest of the car did not survive~
        not that it would matter much now, right [?]
        [:0] [V] [B)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Someone should check this out... doubt it's true, but JIC:

Quote from seller:

"This is the Studebaker that came from the factory with a Supercharged engine,hence the missing engine/transmission."

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1129683727.html

Robert (Bob) Andrews
          As you know, Bob; all we need is the Serial Number and we can immediately verify or refute the seller's claim. 'Hope someone in the area checks it out; 'could be a good score for $1,500 if it is a dry car that was originally an R2.BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'll call the guy today, make an appointment to see the car and take some pix, tho he says he has more pix available. Potranco Rd. is in San Antonio and that location on loop 1604 is only about 28 miles from my home.

My wife will be happy to tell you I am not interested in the car.

Update: He won't be home before 5, so will call then. Seems like a nice guy.

Updated update: Guy called back with these #s--firewall 63S-J8, under that--1004. Door post #: 63S-34788

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

I'll call the guy today, make an appointment to see the car and take some pix, tho he says he has more pix available. Potranco Rd. is in San Antonio and that location on loop 1604 is only about 28 miles from my home.

John
              Excellent, John. Be sure to record the Serial and Body numbers. Thanks. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

No badges on the fender. At least that I can see. I do not know 63's that well. Does that mean it was an R-1? Or nothing at all.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

No badges on the fender. At least that I can see. I do not know 63's that well. Does that mean it was an R-1? Or nothing at all.
                  It means little or nothing, many early cars were shipped without the correct badges.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Chuck: No badges can mean one of three things:

1. The car was built with an R engine before, roughly, March 15, 1963, when fender tags began being installed on all R-engined cars. Before that date (approximately), R-engined cars didn't have fender tags because fender tags didn't exist. So that's quite a few months of production, back into late summer 1962, without fender tags being installed.

2. The car was damaged at some point in time and the fenders were either replaced or the holes were filled and the badges not reinstalled in the course of the collision repair.

3. There is anecdotal evidence that a few R-engined cars may have been built after tag usage was phased in, on which the tags were specified to be deleted. This is rare, though, and highly unlikely in a given case.

(Or, of course, someone could have simply pried the tags off. The photos aren't good enough to see if there are any holes, or an outline in the paint, where the tags would have been.)

BTW, there was no distinction between R1 and R2 cars. If a car was built with an Avanti engine and received a tag, it would be the correct tag for the engine installed. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Updated update: Guy called back with these #s--firewall 63S-J8, under that--1004. Door post #: 63S-34788

Six cylinder car. No wonder the engine and trans were pulled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Possibly like this car: http://tinyurl.com/cjtlby

No badges, no tach, no Powershift. Certainly does not appear to be "Factory super charger original car in tarrific shape" as advertised.

Oh well.....

John

Comment

The gt hawk with no powershift,tach or badges is an early car that is real. Guys, please remember its all in the vin#...nothing more and nothing less. When you see a 63s its a six cylinder, 63v is a v8 and then you take it from there. Many of the cool performance pcs were originally options on early cars and sometimes just lost over time.

Comment

Possibly like this car: http://tinyurl.com/cjtlby

No badges, no tach, no Powershift. Certainly does not appear to be "Factory super charger original car in tarrific shape" as advertised.

John
                            Yep, John; what TOMMO said. In this case, 63V10419 is a real car, as advertised.

The Serial Number is too low to have had factory fender badges, and automatic floor shift (Powershift) was not available that early.

The JT Production List reveals this to be "as advertised;" an R2 engine with heavy-duty Fightomatic...but, of course, you can't tell that by looking at the steering column.

However, the car was originally Rose Mist, so it's appparently a color change to Velvet Black. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks for the build sheet update Bob. Interesting color change.

Comment

Working...
                              X