Period Correct Licence Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Correct Licence Plate

John has been looking for period correct licence plates for Horse [that's what tutone (Nathan) has named our truck...and it actually stuck...due to it living in the desert and having no name to this point. Hum a little bit and it will make sense...] for quite some time. We learned that in Arizona, there were no separate license plates for 1955. Instead, there was a metal tag added in the right-hand corner of the 1954 plates for 1955 vehicles. This made finding plates even more difficult, as the tag could easily be separated from the plates.

Today was our lucky day! While at a swap meet in Glendale, we found a complete set of period correct Arizona truck plates (2 license plates and 2 matching tags!) and purchased them for a great price. Our question now is this: we have heard that it is possible to actually register Horse using these plates. Some people say that it is not worth the hassle at the DMV. Does anyone have experience with this that they could share with us? Our other option is just to switch them out as "props" for shows and cruise-ins.

Next on the list: plates for George!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona
    http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
    [IMG]

Not from AZ of course so I cannot answer your question, but certainly a great find! [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

If Arizona has a "Year of Manufacture" (YOM) law or procedure like Calif. and many other States do, you can have them checked for duplicate numbers on newer plates, and register them, usually for non-commercial, non-hauling, non-daily use for car shows, parades, club events etc. only like a Historical Vehicle plate.

You have to talk to the DMV, or whatever they call the Vehicle license people in AZ.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Today was our lucky day! While at a swap meet in Glendale, we found a complete set of period correct Arizona truck plates (2 license plates and 2 matching tags!) and purchased them for a great price. Our question now is this: we have heard that it is possible to actually register Horse using these plates. Some people say that it is not worth the hassle at the DMV. Does anyone have experience with this that they could share with us? Our other option is just to switch them out as "props" for shows and cruise-ins.
        Congtaulations on your find!! I also have a set of 1963 truck plates for Big Bertha. Truck plates are sometimes much harder to find than regular passenger car plates. Here in Alberta, one can register YOM plates, but only as an 'antique vehicle' which limits use. In Alberta, only one plate on the rear is reuqired, and I have a YOM plate for my vehicles on the front which is permissible. I would keep Horse with regular plates and use the '55 plates for shows, etc.

Craig

Comment

It's been discussed here about how different it is from state to state. That's a beautiful set you found, though! [^][^][^] I have a nice set of year of manufacture plates, but here I had to also buy historical plates, keep those in the trunk to prove I have them..(goofy law) but can display original vintage plates that are not altered. Only one rear plate needed for the vintage plates display. The vintage numbers and/or letters have to go through a check to make sure they aren't registered to anyone else. That's it. Pull out the cash and you're done. One time registration only. There are supposed rules to when and where you can drive with vintage plates here- parades, club functions, etc. I've never been hassled. There is a car show every week somewhere.. I keep a list in the glove box. Alas, that is Ohio.
          I think this is the AZ link for info:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp#Classic

Comment

John and Tracy,
            You can do it.
            Dick

all it takes is time and money
            mostly money

Comment

In Calif. I have the YOM plates (also with the little corner plate)on my Conestoga.
              Here...they are registered like personalized plates. At least that's what the DMV did for/to me.

Funny thing...in Calif., the 54 (and earlier) plates have the same number/letter combination as commercial vehicals.

After I bought the car (with the plates), the DMV wrote to me telling me a 1992 truck in Northern Calif. had the same lic. number and that I needed to go see them with the car and plates. I signed a paper stating (per the previous owner) that they had been on the car for over 15 years. About two months later, I got the pink slip with the "current" plate number on it!!!
              I was a little worried, I'd have to give them up.
              Here in Calif., they are also slightly taller and wider than plates after 55.

Mike

Comment

Every state/province is different. However, in all of them (I think) the YOM plates can only be used on vehicles that already qualify for historic or antique plates, and owners must thus accept the usage restrictions that come with such plates. In some states, they actually become the legal plates -- in others, you still must have historic plates and carry them in the vehicle.

In some states (Calif, NY), the YOM number cannot duplicate a plate number that is already in legal use. (However, numbering format changes make this unlikely in many cases. That said, Calif's current numbering format for truck plates duplicates the system used for car plates prior to 1956.) In many others, duplication of numbers is permitted.

Plate sizes in North America varied until 1956, when they were standardized at the current size: 6"x12" with the holes 7" apart. I believe the agreement was part of the International Road Convention of 1954. Prior to that, Calif and NY had the biggest plates, and Conn and Del the smallest. In a couple of jusisdictions (Illinois, DC) the plate size depended on how many digits were in the number.

Skip Lackie
                30-year license plate collector
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Tracy and John,
                  You have to contact the DMV and tell them what you want to do and ask them if the plates you purchased are clear.
                  If the person you contact says you can't do it or seems unaware ask if you can speak to a supervisor.
                  I called and made sure my plates were clear and when the DMV said they were I went into the local DMV office and had the plates changed.I have my 47 M5 registered with AZ 1947 plates. Hope this helps you.
                  Dick

all it takes is time and money
                  mostly money

Comment

Those are really nice plates. I'm still hunting for a matched pair of '64's for my collection. I have the Florida plate for the Daytona whenever it hits the road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Added to my above post, this should be of even more help, hopefully:

http://tinyurl.com/cb4d7e

Comment

It is easy to do in AZ, but expect to spend at least 2 hrs at DMV. You can and should check first w/DMV website to ensure that the plate numbers/letters are not currently in use. I registered YOM plates about 6 mos. ago, had already done the website check and had the form completed. The DMV personnel were not aware of the YOM provisions. I took both plates in w/me, they certified that they were in acceptable condition, and for some reason had to photo copy the plate and then wait for someone to confirm that it was a plate issued by AZ, and the numbers/letters were not in current use. They probably asked me 5-6 times if the plates had been issued in AZ, as they had never seen any like them and they were in excellent condition. Hopefully they will have more experience, but I was surprised that even the office supervisor was not aware. They actually asked to see and read what I had printed from the DMV website. The were both helpful and cooperative, just did't know how to deal w/it initially. Actually, the clerk initially advised me that I could not register YOM plates, told me it was illegal and I could be arrested for trying. Their tune changed when I provided the info from their website. Good luck:

tempestan

Comment

Today must have been our lucky day! John decided to take a chance and head on over to the DMV in person. While the gentleman who helped him had never actual gone through the procedure, he did know that it could be done with all of the correct guidelines met. He and John walked through the process together and after a few false worries, the plates are now registered and ready to be put on the truck. Total time spent at the DMV: 12 minutes! Total cost: $25.00. We have to love the Apache Junction DMV- we always seem to have great luck there. Thanks to everyone for the great input and advice!

John and Tracy Smith
                          Queen Creek Arizona
                          http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
                          [IMG]

Comment

Wow......12 minutes w/Arizona DMV is a record, even if you simply walked in to use the water cooler. tempestan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Today must have been our lucky day! John decided to take a chance and head on over to the DMV in person. While the gentleman who helped him had never actual gone through the procedure, he did know that it could be done with all of the correct guidelines met. He and John walked through the process together and after a few false worries, the plates are now registered and ready to be put on the truck. Total time spent at the DMV: 12 minutes! Total cost: $25.00. We have to love the Apache Junction DMV- we always seem to have great luck there. Thanks to everyone for the great input and advice!

John and Tracy Smith
                              Queen Creek Arizona
                              Now that's what you call "SERVICE"! [^]

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                              May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                              http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander