rear sail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear sail

HI Folks. I am looking for a pattern for the sail for a 63 datytona hardtop,a paper,cardboard or even two sails,any help would be appreciated, send a email. MAC.

I can probably help since I have a '63 Daytona hardtop, but I have no idea what a "sail" is.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe what he is talking of are pieces of hardboard that fit just after the rear 1/4 window and before the rear backglass. I can't remember if my GT had them but a lot of GM cars of the 60's used them. On GM cars, they were covered with headliner material before installation. Sometimes interior lights were inserted through a hole cut in the hardboard. I think maybe Studes don't use 'em. Would like to know for sure. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yep. The Sail Panel is the panel that more or less covers the inside of the "C" pillar. Two sail panels per car, of course; right and left, so they aren't the same. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yep. The Sail Panel is the panel that more or less covers the inside of the "C" pillar. Two sail panels per car, of course; right and left, so they aren't the same. BP
          Well, I think they are the same shape... but the insulation is glued on a different side..
          I don't have one here as a pattern unfortunately

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Gerald,
            If that is what you mean by a sail, then I'm a little confused.

I have a '63 HT. The headliner is not installed yet. I can make a pattern from the car itself, or from the uninstalled headliner, but I would guess you could do the same.

What am I missing?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I believe what he is talking of are pieces of hardboard that fit just after the rear 1/4 window and before the rear backglass.
              That is a one piece Package Tray (or shelf) Cover, yes all models have them. It is hardboard.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On a '63 hardtop, the headliner didn't go down the C pillar like on Hawks and other Studes. They had material covered pieces that went on the inside of the C pillars.

I may have one or both sides, I'm not sure. If that's what you're wanting, I could make a pattern.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt is correct. There is a hardboard piece covering the internal side of the C-pillar. From what I can tell, the hardboard is identical (left and right), excepting the vinyl covering and maybe a thin layer of padding on the same side. These are covered and I think there is one screw holding the back edge in place. The front edge has excess vinyl that wraps under the same toothy bracket that holds the headliner.

I am rebuilding mine and could provide a pattern - if not for a personal set-back. I had knee surgery a couple weeks ago and am not quite up to hobbling out to the barn with crutches.

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                  53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Not a shelf cover. I just removed the two from my Cruiser, but I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be the same as a Daytona. And Dick, there was NO interior in that Daytona when I got it. Sorry!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My sail panels are still in my Daytona, but it's not the correct year .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My 63HT had no headliner, sails or rear side panels when i got it,did get new liner from John P.,side panels from Wisc. but could not find anyone that has sails or patterns,hey try the Forum!Thanks for all the hits folks,Matt if you have the time to copy a pattern and send it to me i will make it worth your time. GL McVey 2185 County Rd 103,West Point,Iowa,52656

Comment

I have a 64 Daytona Hard Top that does not have sails. The car needs something in this space to make it look better. I would be happy to pay for a pattern for these parts. Thanks, Richard

Comment

Working...
                          X