Studebaker Swap Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Swap Meet

I'm confused. A local member said he was going to Southbend for a Studebaker swap meet April 30 to May 2 and would look for a bumper for me. Great. I thought as we got closer I would mention it here and see if anyone going might have one. Now I come across the article below dated April 15, 2009. Looks like he had the date wrong. But whats also strange is I find no threads about it and did a search and couldn't find anything in the forums about it. Am I in a twilight zone?

Studebaker Swap Meet Attracts Worldwide Audience
    Vintage car collectors had the opportunity to add to their personal collections Monday at the Studebaker swap meet in South Bend.
    The 4-H Fairgrounds transformed into an old-fashioned dealership equipped with classic body styles and shiny paint finishes.
    Studebaker enthusiasts, like Harry Kramer, traveled to South Bend from all over the world for the 43rd Annual International Studebaker swap meet.
    http://www.wndu.com/news/headlines/8059317.html

sigpic

Details here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/ev_IN.asp

Note there is information under both April and May.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Thanks, I'm understanding now and am glad I haven't missed this chance to find a bumper. But what was the event the article I linked to about and who sponsored it? Seems strange I didn't hear anything about it beforehand. I've only been back in the club after a long absence. Guess I have a lot of catching up to do.
      sigpic

Comment

FWIW I will be at the SASCO building swap area and plan on
        bringing every bumper I have laying around.
        If that sounds confusing there are 2 swap areas during the May
        event.The show and swap at the fairgrounds and SASCO also allows
        vendors to set up at their building.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

The Crossroads Zone meet is in the same time frame and place.
          Klif

55 Speedster
          63 Avanti R2
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

FWIW I will be at the SASCO building swap area and plan on
            bringing every bumper I have laying around.
            If that sounds confusing there are 2 swap areas during the May
            event.The show and swap at the fairgrounds and SASCO also allows
            vendors to set up at their building.
            Glad I was mistaken. But does anyone know about the meet that was held last week?

Bob40 what do you have? I'm looking for a decent bumper for our '53. Can't afford a rechrome right now. The car is going to be a driver. It's roadworthy now and we are wrapping up the cosmetics. The front is the one we need badly. The rear is serviceable but if we found both at an affordable price we would take them if the local member who is coming to Southbend was willing to haul them. Let me know here or by email. Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused. (it doesn't take much [8D]). Where is the swap meet where I am going to pick up my goodies? Sasco or the fairgrounds? Not that it matters, I'm throwing my wife out of the truck in Louisville and heading towards Southbend on Friday morning.

Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Unless they changed things up this year, there will be vendors at SASCO and the fairgrounds. SASCO will have there doors open with a breezeway into the back of the building where the other vendors are located(or an individual can walk around to the rear of the building and through the large garage door). The vendors are at St. Joseph fairgrounds and are in and around the big building with the glass double doors in front. It's also a good place to get some food as they are just inside the building. Friday is the swap meet day. Saturday is the swap meet/car show day at the fairgrounds with most everyone pullin' out around 3 pm(barring rain doesn't shorten the day any [)]). It's a good place for anyone needing a quick part before the likes of show season .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Bubba,just show up at SASCO and look at whats there.
                  For that matter look at the fairgrounds too.
                  Much easier than having me describe them.
                  The definition of "decent" is unique to each person.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Bubba,just show up at SASCO and look at whats there.
                    For that matter look at the fairgrounds too.
                    Much easier than having me describe them.
                    The definition of "decent" is unique to each person.
                    I'm not coming to Southbend. A member from here is and has offered to bring one back for me. While he is willing to look around for one he is there to enjoy the meet and do his own stuff. The least I impose on him the better. If I can set something up in advance it will save him the trouble. Can you describe what you have?

sigpic

Comment

Thought about this yesterday.Have your buddy look
                      at your bumper.At SB he can look at mine.IF in his
                      mind one I (or other vendors)is better he should buy it.

Comment

I was surprised (and pleased) to receive a postcard in the mail yesterday reminding me of this Swap Meet. It gave my son a chuckle to see that it will take place in "Studebaker, Indiana"!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                        53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

Comment

Bubbabear,

I've bought 2 bumpers at South Bend. Beautiful bumpers! There is a vendor there who does just bumpers. I can't remember his name, it just escapes me right now. Re-chromed and all. The big question here is what are you willing to pay for a what you call "decent"? I think his bumpers are about $300.00. You can't even get someone to re-chrome a decent bumper for that locally.

Break it down to what you're willing to pay and think about the long run what does it cost you really. Buying a decent bumper sometimes is throwing good money after the bad.

Good luck.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                          Oakville, Ontario.
                          Hamilton Chapter
                          See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                          PSMCDR 2013
                          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter