Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yowzers! 240 MPH Bonneville C/Coupe

Gary Hart's "C" Body on the Dyno!

Yowzers! 820 HP @ 5700 RPM; see Frames 52 & 53. No wonder it runs 240 MPH! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

It's going to be a great year at Bonneville for Studebaker; there are 4 or 5 new cars being built, at a minimum.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Bob, those photos are awe inspiring, but, I don't take the time to keep up. So can I just ask, "What the hell am I lookin' at!".
      Thanks in advance.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Yeah Tim, I am with you, under all that Turbo tubing I don't know![?] But I have to guess a 500 c.i. big block Ch**y copy Keith Black!

StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tim & Rich: I don't know any more about that car than you guys!

A Ford enthusiast friend who knows I like Studebakers sent me the link with no further information or explanation, so I just patched it over here, knowing everyone else would like to see it.

If anyone knows more about this car, please post. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Two large turbos, fuel injection, Megasquirt for the fuel injection, and one very large engine. It's one very vile setup for Bonneville.... [}]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

You should see it on hte streets!!

Comment

My 54 Champion is one of the Bonneville Studes under construction but it will be a couple of years before it hits the salt!

54 15G coupe future Bonneville car 200 mph
                63 Lark Custom 2D R1 4speed 1of1 bench seat
                CUSTOM R1
                51 2r11 truck 289 4 2bbl carbs 5 speed
                59 Chassis Research dragster 347 Pontiac powered

Comment

I just want someone to tell me about those rather ordinary looking wheels. I would have thought there would have been some special space age machined wheel for a 240 mph run. I love the look. Would make a great looking prop for the next "back to the future" movie.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I can't say for sure what those wheels are from - but a regular steel wheel off a full size car or half ton truck is probably the most common wheel used at Bonneville. They put a disc over the wheel, not much need for a fancy billet wheel. Given the distance for acceleration, I cannot see any benefit from a light wheel. Land speed racing actually favors weight. Dave Bloomberg "The Avanti Kid" runs something like 700 lbs of ballast in his Avanti.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                    Packrat junk collector
                    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Since the car runs in AA/BGAlt, it has a engine of 501 or more cubic inches. I assume it is a big block Chevy. The "B" means it is blown and the "G" means it runs on gas.(no nitros, alcohol, etc.) I got the class designation from one of the pictures where it is written on the side of the rear wing. The "Alt" is the body classification.

This is a beautiful car and is wonderfully fast!

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Posted - 04/15/2009 : 2:26:24 PM
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Tim & Rich: I don't know any more about that car than you guys!

A Ford enthusiast friend who knows I like Studebakers sent me the link with no further information or explanation, so I just patched it over here, knowing everyone else would like to see it.

If anyone knows more about this car, please post. BP '

I am pretty sure this 1955 coupe with 53 front clip is from the Springfield, MO area. It has been discussed on the forum before just after the last Bonneville runs.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Try this link.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

The wheels are 16 inch GM space saver wheels with race tires.

Comment

Since I am really not into racing, and read all the concern about our old Studebaker wheels, I had to ask that question. I did, however, get a Studebaker up to 55mph today.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X