Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any kids car books? MORE

I have a couple.

This one is a book that used to keep kids from being bored. Did anyone do this?

This is another one I have. I colored the pictures.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Great artifact Leonard! With the wonders of our computer age (and the skills to use them), it should not be too difficult to use the format to make a template members could personalize for their own car. Those with families could make new memories for generations to come.

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That is awesome! I remember when I was little a 'golden book' called 'the little taxi' or 'hurry up taxi' or something with a taxi. All of the cars were of late 40's early 50's vintage, and the taxi looked like a stylized version of a nash, or possible chevy fleetline. I would like to find that book again.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

Great book...nice to see them introduce a bit of history. I wonder if they make stuff like that for kids today?

BTW: The first automobile Golden Book I can remember is the story of a fire engine.."Willie Woo Woo". I see them on ebay occasionally.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If you give me some time, I can get a list of automobile related books. I'm a Librarian by trade and finding stuff is what I do.

Here is a title off the top of my head, a picture book for the younger set : Helen and the Hudson Hornet.
          A story of a little girl and the magic car in the neighbors's garage.

I cannot think of any children's books about Studebakers

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
          The Replacements.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

A cool little book for the kids..."On the Drag Strip".
            About 50%-50% pictures and reading...about the pictures. Cars from the late 60's, early 70's.

The reason I have two copies...there's a shot of my (then) girlfriend, the car owner, his wife...and me at Lions in Long Beach (So. Cal.).

No Stude's that I recall.

Mike

Comment

Different kind of kids' book, but to this day I vividly remember a little novella, vintage late sixties, called "Hot Rod Road", centred on a kid who progresses through the local drag racing ranks, first with a 55 Chev, then a 57, ultimately at the end of the story about to start his first full NHRA season aboard an AA fuel "rail"...I never get rid of things (anyone who has been inside my house could attest to that), but that little book, which was quite well-written, is one childhood item I no longer have, and would love to replace. Anyone else recognize the title and/or story? (I cannot recall the author's name BTW, but I think it may have been "Robert" something)...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

That is awesome! I remember when I was little a 'golden book' called 'the little taxi' or 'hurry up taxi' or something with a taxi. All of the cars were of late 40's early 50's vintage, and the taxi looked like a stylized version of a nash, or possible chevy fleetline. I would like to find that book again.
                I remember the school library having a number of 'storybook' types similar to that one, but had no real interest in them at all. The books I read when I was young were the 'how cars work' type of books that showed pictures and/or diagrams of cars and their components. Henry B. Lent comes to mind as a popular author of the time who wrote informative books geared towards a younger audience. One book in particular that stands out was a red covered book, again focusing on the elementary operation of a car. It had lots of black & white photographs of 1962 Studebakers in it. Also included were some close-up photographs of the Avanti which was brand new at the time it was written.

Craig

Comment

Rosie Studebaker, an Auto-biography.

Beautifully written, heart-felt story.

Paul

Comment

Wow I had that very book, Golden Book of Automobile stamps
                    wish I stll had it,
                    also there was one like it about trucks with stamps.

And a book of all the states and proviences of Canada with stamps for the license plates.

Lots of fun
                    husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Leonard, I like that first book. That would keep someone one the lookout for interesting stuff. I also noticed that in the license plate section that Hawaii and Alaska are not listed .

I remember a sticker book in around 1974 and when you saw a license plate, you pasted the sticker in the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

"Somplace Else" by Carol P. Saul, illustrated by Barry Root.

Barry used a R series Studebaker truck owned by one of our Chapter members, and a 1947 Airstream trailer owned by another of our members to illustrate this book. He appeared at one of our Chapter meetings in Kinzer, Pa to autograph copies for us. I gave a few autographed copies to my friends' children. The truck appears on almost every page.

http://www.amazon.com/Someplace-Else.../dp/0689802730

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Len, you constantly amaze me with your "stuff". [:0] If I had a book like that when I was young, I would have no idea where it is today.

We did have "Car Cards" for long trips where you had to identify different kinds and colours of vehicles scoring points for the items depending on rarity.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander
                          Zone Coordinator
                          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

That is a cool thing. It seems nowadays every car has a TV/DVD player, and every kid has a hand-held video game. Wonder if there's one kid left who would be interested in doing one today?

I remember playing "goldfinger" as a kid. You watched other cars, and when you saw a staion wagon with the faux wood paneling on the side you called out "GOLDFINGER"! The first one to call it got a point. I have no idea where that name came from[?]

We also played "punchbug". Same game, only you called it for a VW Beetle, and you'd punch somebody in the arm. With the return of the Beetle, that game has revived[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

We also played "punchbug". Same game, only you called it for a VW Beetle, and you'd punch somebody in the arm. With the return of the Beetle, that game has revived[B)]
                              I remember playing that!! We called it "slugabug"!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X