Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! got a fix-it ticket,need a windshield ASAP

'63 Wagonaire,S.F. Bay Area Ca.
    this car is currently my brother's daily driver,and he's broke,so any help would be appreciated in finding a good used winshield.

wagons ho!

Sorry your brother is in a fix for one.
    He can use one from ANY body type of '63 Lark or a '64 Wagonaire or Convertible Windshield.

The new ones are around $325.00 but by the time you add $125.00 shipping, $80.00 for a new gasket and $100.00 R&R Labor they're starting to get a bit pricey, so that probably will not be an option.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey, if he's broke, then he can't drive it anyway, so problem solved, right??

I'd guess he'd have to pay at LEAST $100 for a used one, if he can find one- plus installation. Good luck!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

eh, you can install a '63 windshield yourself. It's not like a '62 which is a little more complicated. I'd go ahead and order a new gasket now though... odds of reusing the old gasket (shakes magic 8-ball) "very doubtful."

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If you have an AGI (Auto Glass International?)near you check them. My local guy here operates under a different name but I think he gets his glass from AGI and listed all the windows for my 53. I needed the side glasses so that is all I priced but they were extremely reasonable. I didnt buy them yet but only because I have a line on correct date coded glass I want to try first. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Yorg, Check with Bob Peterson or Studes West in Red Wood City.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by yorgatron

'63 Wagonaire,S.F. Bay Area Ca.
              this car is currently my brother's daily driver,and he's broke,so any help would be appreciated in finding a good used winshield.
              Check with Bob Peterson in Castro Valley/Hayward. He has parted out many cars of that vintage. He does business as CanBStudebakers. He's a Forum poster too.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I might have a used one left, if his is broken then it can be removed with out cutting the rubber and in a pinch use it again, then are easy to put in if you don't put the stainless in it , my guy charges about $150.00 to install but he knows what he is doing but then should have new rubber, and if I have one it would be $100.00, call me at 510-266-2522

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I'm guessing to comprehensive insurance? If he's that broke, does he have ANY insurance?

At the risk of sounding like a cold-hearted rich guy SOB (I'll beat some of you to the punch ) if he can't afford to maintain his car in a safe operating condition...like having a legal windshield...then he better start taking the bus.

Not only for the safety of him and his family, but for the innocent people who might get hurt by a marginally-maintained, unsafe car sharing the road.

Caution RANT ahead: This may not necessarily apply to the guy in question, but I don't want some guy hitting me because he finds other uses for his money other than fixing his car. If I'm hurt in an accident, I'm not going to want to hear some guy blaming povery for operating an unsafe car. It's bad enough we have to pay extra insurance to make up for people who don't think laws apply to them because they're broke.
                  Sometimes we forget owning a car is a resposibility..not a right. They can kill people.
                  This is serious stuff.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Point taken...but, speaking as someone whose auto insurance renewal invoice arrived a couple days ago, this guy may very well be "that broke" because he has insurance...[xx(]

S.

Comment

Anyone can get down on their luck! Leave the fellow alone if you can't help him. I could probably help him out, but I'm on the wrong coast. Sorry. NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

[font=Arial]I'm guessing to comprehensive insurance? If he's that broke, does he have ANY insurance?
                        yes,he has insurance,but not full coverage.
                        He works with the autistic and developmentally disabled,and even though he can take public transit,there are times when he wants to go to the store or the movies or some other activity,which tends to be rather modest given what he's paid.
                        I have a suggestion for you,why don't you put a sock in it?

wagons ho!

Comment

and another thing,this car has power disc brakes,and he's a far better driver than 99% of the idiots that live here in San Jose.
                          I wish I could tell you what I really think of you,but this is a public forum and there might be some people who are easily offended by off-color language.

wagons ho!

Comment

Have you ever noticed how rich guys always complain about everything like we're inconveniencing them for wanting to drive a classic car down to the cruise night to get a burger every now and then?
                            Most rich guys are crybabys,always complaining about how the poor people are ruining everything.
                            Well,let me apologize for not delivering your bailout money in a gold-plated wheelbarrow there,Scrooge McDuck.
                            [xx(]

wagons ho!

Comment

Yorgatron, Don't get too upset. Yes, may have been judgemental. But for the sake of the forum and this post, (eg> getting it locked) It would be advisable to cool down a bit. I too am a studebaker owner with less than average income. I understand what it is like to have your car break down and be out of luck without money to get it fixed (part of the reason why I learned to work on them myself) There are times on this forum when things are said that are upsetting...mainly because many of us have very strong beliefs and convictions when it comes to our lives.

I can understand JBOYLE's stand, it is lives, and it is up to us to keep our vehicles safe and roadworthy.

On the other hand, to those concerned: A windshield is not your average piece of maintenance, like changing oil, lights, bushings or brake pads (or even break lines) These items are relatively cheap, and can be done in an afternoon (or a few hours) at home. Whereas a windshield is a major investment and a chore to change out. Very few can do it themselves and those who can, usually charge a fair price, but hard to obtain in a pinch for the one who has to pay for it. I have actually been in this scenario in college. I maintain my cars mechanically well, and other than my Studebaker, my cars are not really that aesthetically appealing...mainly because I can't justify paying for a daily driver to look good when it functions perfectly looking rough. (The Lark is an exception, as it is a classic and worth keeping up)

I have full coverage insurance on my Lark, but Liability only on my other cars...mainly because I couldn't afford it, and I personally don't think that they are worth it. If they get killed...well, I will look for another cheap daily driver to fix up and put on the road. Honestly, every car that I have right now (except for my Lark) I had to put some work into to get them back on the road and safe, but for my budget, it is the best thing to do.

I guess the way I see it is "judge not" since we do not know the situation. This is a happy place!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

Working...
                              X