X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stude Owner Checking In

Hello all,

Been reading, searching, & lurking here for a few weeks since getting my first Stude - '53 Commander Coupe. Pretty happy with it, getting used to it & my '40 Ford coupe is getting no use lately!

Just wanted to say 'hi' and introduce myself before jumping in & asking questions (which are starting to formulate as I gain a tiny bit of experience with the car).

Ernie

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Hi Ernie, welcome to our little piece of heaven. Check out the heading on how to post pics and show us your wheels (I wouldn't mind seeing the Ford too ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hi Ernie, welcome to our little piece of heaven. Check out the heading on how to post pics and show us your wheels (I wouldn't mind seeing the Ford too ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote: Hi Ernie, welcome to our little piece of heaven. Check out the heading on how to post pics and show us your wheels (I wouldn't mind seeing the Ford too ).

Tom - Lakeland, FL
        Ditto

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote: Hi Ernie, welcome to our little piece of heaven. Check out the heading on how to post pics and show us your wheels (I wouldn't mind seeing the Ford too ).

Tom - Lakeland, FL
          Ditto

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Welcome, Ernie!

I'm currently reprocessing the 53 Commander Coupe that was my daily driver thirty years ago.

Glad you've joined us and suspect you'll find tons of support here.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Welcome, Ernie!

I'm currently reprocessing the 53 Commander Coupe that was my daily driver thirty years ago.

Glad you've joined us and suspect you'll find tons of support here.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Ernie. As has already been said here, share some pics and/or details about your Stude.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Ernie. As has already been said here, share some pics and/or details about your Stude.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

From my lurking here, I'm sure you all keep an eye on eBay, so probably saw the car I ended up with.

Here's the Stude:

Here's the '40:

You'll be glad to know I drive all my cars! Just moved to NM from the UK (in the USAF) and picked up my '40 in FL where it was in storage at my dad's. Drove it out here most of the way (1100+ miles) with only a couple very minor problems (easily solved). It was my daily until a week and a half ago when I flew to TX & picked up the Stude. Drove it the 720+ miles back here running 75-85 the whole way & got 20+ mpg! It's been my daily driver since & the '40 is getting jealous!

The guy I got the Stude from didn't have it very long - he found a nicer one - so I've been in touch with the previous owner trying to glean more info on it. But here's what I know so far...

It's got a later full-flow 289. The heads were ported & flow matched w/stainless valves. It has an R1/R2 cam. Currently running an iron 4bbl intake & Edelbrock carb. Don't know if the intake is a later low profile or a modified earlier. The chassis was fishplated at the front kickup. A rear swaybar was added. And later Lark drum brakes were put on. It's got a 3.73 rear, but with the 3-sp/OD it does OK on the road.

Trying to learn what intake options I have with the low hoodline of the '53. Would love to run something a bit more interesting than a standard 4bbl, but realize the options are probably limited.

Future plans call for dual exhaust & some carb/ignition work. I don't know how to tell the difference between early/late Delco, but I do think I have a Delco distributor (little metal tag told me so! [)] ) Currently debating a pertronix conversion or popping for the Mallory repro offered by Mr. Thibeault. Also wondering if the cast iron headers are worth the $$.

Got a surging problem that I believe is carb related. I put a vacuum gauge on it & only pulling 5" [:0] so sprayed carb cleaner & quick start trying to find what must be a significant intake leak, but no joy. Replaced the PCV & got a 1/2" improvement. So I need to pull the carb & intake and investigate more thoroughly, but for now, I'm having too much fun driving it!

Any issues with the embossed steel intake gaskets? Was thinking of finding/making composite gaskets...

So who's the best source for parts? I'm sure there are many opinions & options...

Thanks!
                    Ernie

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
                    -------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

From my lurking here, I'm sure you all keep an eye on eBay, so probably saw the car I ended up with.

Here's the Stude:

Here's the '40:

You'll be glad to know I drive all my cars! Just moved to NM from the UK (in the USAF) and picked up my '40 in FL where it was in storage at my dad's. Drove it out here most of the way (1100+ miles) with only a couple very minor problems (easily solved). It was my daily until a week and a half ago when I flew to TX & picked up the Stude. Drove it the 720+ miles back here running 75-85 the whole way & got 20+ mpg! It's been my daily driver since & the '40 is getting jealous!

The guy I got the Stude from didn't have it very long - he found a nicer one - so I've been in touch with the previous owner trying to glean more info on it. But here's what I know so far...

It's got a later full-flow 289. The heads were ported & flow matched w/stainless valves. It has an R1/R2 cam. Currently running an iron 4bbl intake & Edelbrock carb. Don't know if the intake is a later low profile or a modified earlier. The chassis was fishplated at the front kickup. A rear swaybar was added. And later Lark drum brakes were put on. It's got a 3.73 rear, but with the 3-sp/OD it does OK on the road.

Trying to learn what intake options I have with the low hoodline of the '53. Would love to run something a bit more interesting than a standard 4bbl, but realize the options are probably limited.

Future plans call for dual exhaust & some carb/ignition work. I don't know how to tell the difference between early/late Delco, but I do think I have a Delco distributor (little metal tag told me so! [)] ) Currently debating a pertronix conversion or popping for the Mallory repro offered by Mr. Thibeault. Also wondering if the cast iron headers are worth the $$.

Got a surging problem that I believe is carb related. I put a vacuum gauge on it & only pulling 5" [:0] so sprayed carb cleaner & quick start trying to find what must be a significant intake leak, but no joy. Replaced the PCV & got a 1/2" improvement. So I need to pull the carb & intake and investigate more thoroughly, but for now, I'm having too much fun driving it!

Any issues with the embossed steel intake gaskets? Was thinking of finding/making composite gaskets...

So who's the best source for parts? I'm sure there are many opinions & options...

Thanks!
                      Ernie

-------------------

Comment

Ernie,

Best thing to do is join the Studebaker Drivers Club from the "Home" link on this page. The monthly TURNING WHEELS will supply more vendor, technical and historic reference than you will ever need. First year membership is only $19.95.

In the meantime, for links to a few of the major vendors go here:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Ernie,

Best thing to do is join the Studebaker Drivers Club from the "Home" link on this page. The monthly TURNING WHEELS will supply more vendor, technical and historic reference than you will ever need. First year membership is only $19.95.

In the meantime, for links to a few of the major vendors go here:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          33 Rockne 10
                          51 Commander Starlight
                          53 Commander Starlight

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Welcome, Ernie....nice fleet []

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Welcome, Ernie....nice fleet []

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA