Shell Oil 'Nitrogen Enriched' Gas and Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Oil 'Nitrogen Enriched' Gas and Studebakers

What will this do 'for/to' our beloved Studebaker engines?

(Never trust a product where the disclaimer is as long as the press release[}])...
    (Oh, and I can get a half million miles of 'testing' done in a few weeks with about any 'big' fleet in a couple of weeks...woohoo...big deal[xx(]...)
    Jeff[8D]

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa...en_030209.html
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I won't worry about it seeing as there is only one Shell station in town, and I don't have their card.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Since a Shell station is the most convenient for us, we pretty much run their stuff. We will see what happens with this nitro-enriched rocket fuel in our rides.

Dean Croft
      Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
      Dean

CLEM

Comment

I didn't do very well in college chemistry, but as I recall, nitrogen is an inert gas. It is also the most common element in the atmosphere. They might as well say that their gas is "Air enriched". I wonder if it will develop a foamy head in a gas tank?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Keeping an engine cleaner should be an automatic thumbs from the car community with a less than efficient oil filtration system, (those of us running older Stude motors). That as well as this, "significantly more stable at higher temperatures", thus mebbe our vapor locking maladies will be less prevalent? This delights a fella who's watched the crap-ola that passes for "gasoline" these days, evaporate right before his eyes in the filter of his '49 Champion, that had just "flubbered" to a stop, in front of the fire trucks, near the front of the 4th of July parade!

I'd say, "Good show, "Passionate Experts"!"

Thanks Jeffster!

Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Nitrogen as an inert gas is also great for sealing food, preventing oxidation of electronics, filling tires, and capping high explosives due to lack of oxidative qualities. Since its stable as an inert gas, it's strong chemical bonds as Nitrogen gas can also make for a large kaboom, as the decay back to nitrogen gas can release quite a bit of energy. It makes a great element for nitrous oxide, nitroglycerin, ammonia, and trinitrotoluene(TNT). It is indeed found literally everywhere, including ourselves and the atmosphere. If anything it might keep certain items that are thermal cycled from flash rusting.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I never buy Shell gas if I can avoid it anyway. All I hope is that this stuff isn't forced on all of us. The whole thing sounds like a gimmick anyway.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'd rather have nitrogen where it belongs...in my GUINNESS![]

Andy
                62 GT

Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Gosh, I have had a Shell credit card since Studebaker stopped making cars! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd
                  http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Where I live ( Canada) there is only one gasoline storage area. All the local gas stations get their fuel from it. I see Shell trucks and Sunoco trucks picking up fuel there. Mostly I see local carriers picking up fuel to truck it to outlying retailers. Seems to me that all gasolines are the same, unless somebody at the local Shell station adds a bottle of nitrogen after the delivery truck stops by.

Peter Sant

Comment

I am glad that was posted, I have been wondering if it was going to be alright, as I don't know much about it.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

One way to get nitrogen in gasoline would be to add a little nitromethane.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I always get Shell 93 octane in my R2 Avanti,I am not sure i will
                          buy it now.Do you have to have a degree in chemistry to buy gasoline
                          now.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

I used to use Shell gasoline a lot and had a Shell credit card. I have given up the credit card because all of the Shell stations in this area either closed or were converted to some other brand. I can only purchase Shell gasoline if I am on a trip to somewhere.

This reminds me of when I had an Atlantic station in 1961. Atlantic had a 1961 Chevrolet with two carb's. Each carb. was fed from a different fuel tank. They would bring the car around to the gas stations to show people hw much cleaner the Atlantic gas was in the clear carb. than competitor's gas in the other carb. That is how I remember it. Somewhere I have a postcard from them showing a 1961 Chevrolet wagon (IIRC) and with a description of the test.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Nitro and gas don't mix well.
                              You'd have to inject them from different locations!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X