Chain Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Wrench

Anybody ever use one of these to try to break loose a motor? You could put it on the balancer and work it back and forth. Unlike a socket when you try to go the other way the bolt loosens. I tried it earlier with a cheap one and broke it, but it gripped really well and seemed like it moved just a little then snap!. i just bought this HD replacement, I'll let you know when I get it if it works.

[img][/img]

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

I've used these just as you suggest. Work great! As you say tho - you get what you pay for.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What kind was the one you broke? I have one that I can't imagine it ever breaking. This is the one that I have...http://www.cornwelltoolsonline.com/C...___OW6969.html

Carey
      Packard Hawk

Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

Word of caution.
        On a Stude V8 (Non R2) the vibration damper plate is mounted to a molded rubber disc that is sandwiched between the damper and the crank and pulley face.
        After many years of dutiful service, this rubber can be less than perfect.
        Cranking on the damper to rotate a stuck engine could/might/possibly damage the rubber shoulders between the damper/pulley bolts and the damper itself.
        You might not see it, but the timing mark might not be 'spot on', or, at worst, might move around a bit as the damper plate might be able to move around a bit more than Studebaker engineers planned on.
        HTIH
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Anybody ever use one of these to try to break loose a motor?
        <SNIP>
        [img][/img]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hey Carey, I don't know what kind it was, it only had about a 10" handle on it. Sooo I had to put a pipe on and it snapped at the thinnest point in the handle down were the chain attatched, it was tappered to a thin spot down there. Yours and the one I just bought are the same thickness all the way down. Hope it works.

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

very excellent point Jeff.....

Comment

quote:What kind was the one you broke? I have one that I can't imagine it ever breaking.
              quote:'Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the world.' - Archimedes, 230 B.C..
              quote: it only had about a 10" handle on it. Sooo I had to put a pipe on and it snapped at the thinnest point in the handle
              Give a Studebaker owner a long enough cheater pipe and he can break any tool ever made

Any tool manufacturer will say the handle supplied is as long as the amount of force the weakest link is designed to withstand. A larger/longer/stronger tool is the good science answer. A cheater bar usually produces the above result.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X