Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential buyer e-mail: should I be suspicious?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential buyer e-mail: should I be suspicious?

You all may know I have my Lark for sale in the current (Dec. '06) TW. I had it on eBay twice before and it didn't sell. I assume these TW ads are online as well?

In any event I've had lines of discussion going with two potential buyers. Typical back-and-forth re condition of the car, what's good, what needs attention etc. A few minutes ago I received an e-mail which reads unedited in its entirety:

Hello, How are you doing and i Just found your online advert of -1963 Lark Custom 4-door for sale and i would like you to send me the current pictures and also your last selling price...and then conclude on the transaction.
    I await your earnest reply.

Bernard...

Call me crazy but the language (grammar/syntax), the request for pics, NO questions about condition, and the immediate offer to "conclude on the transaction" make me very suspicious. It reads like one of those Nigerian scam e-mails. The first thing that came to mind was that someone would take the pictures and post them on eBay pretending to be the seller, not to mention the possible (probable?) fraudulent money transfer that would occur.

Any advice from you all as to how I can go about sniffing this one out? Even if he is legit, there should be more I can do to confirm that.

TIA,
    Ed

Hello larkvi; Smells as a stinky dead fish from last week's flood. Use the old delete button.

Frank Drumheller
    Louisa, VA
    '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door
    '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
    a lot full of lonely, dying Studebaker carcasses.

Comment

Hello larkvi; Smells as a stinky dead fish from last week's flood. Use the old delete button.

Frank Drumheller
      Louisa, VA
      '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door
      '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
      a lot full of lonely, dying Studebaker carcasses.

Comment

Delete. It's like the junk mail we all get from time to time from people like the "Official Potentate" from some far-off African country notifying us that he will deposit $2 million in our bank account and kindly forward your bank account number, that sort of thing. It's just a scam.

Comment

Delete. It's like the junk mail we all get from time to time from people like the "Official Potentate" from some far-off African country notifying us that he will deposit $2 million in our bank account and kindly forward your bank account number, that sort of thing. It's just a scam.

Comment

Yes, it's a scam. See this recent thread..

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=hawaii,5-0

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yes, it's a scam. See this recent thread..

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=hawaii,5-0

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If these guys ever perfected their English and grammar they could become a real danger. As it is, they are easy to spot today, but I guess they would all come down to the final "hook" of asking you to send money back.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

If these guys ever perfected their English and grammar they could become a real danger. As it is, they are easy to spot today, but I guess they would all come down to the final "hook" of asking you to send money back.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

Done. Message deleted. Thanks to all, especially JBOYLE who shared a nearly identical experience.

Ed

Comment

Done. Message deleted. Thanks to all, especially JBOYLE who shared a nearly identical experience.

Ed

Comment

On the other hand you could have worked him for a while. Tell him that this is special car and you need proof that it will be stored in an appropriate manner, expecially given the torrid rays of the sun near the equator. Ask him for a picture of his wife in front of his garage and see how he responds.

Comment

On the other hand you could have worked him for a while. Tell him that this is special car and you need proof that it will be stored in an appropriate manner, expecially given the torrid rays of the sun near the equator. Ask him for a picture of his wife in front of his garage and see how he responds.

Comment

Frankly, I always have an urge to respond when I get one; logic being, there has to be legitimate, over-paying buyers in other countries... how do I know this one's not legit?

When I respond, I'm always receptive; I tell them that b/c of all the crooks out there, I'll need payment sent in American cash currency by Registered- not Certified- U.S. Mail...

Still waiting for one to reply to that...

Of course, I usually don't bother and just delete it.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Frankly, I always have an urge to respond when I get one; logic being, there has to be legitimate, over-paying buyers in other countries... how do I know this one's not legit?

When I respond, I'm always receptive; I tell them that b/c of all the crooks out there, I'll need payment sent in American cash currency by Registered- not Certified- U.S. Mail...

Still waiting for one to reply to that...

Of course, I usually don't bother and just delete it.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X