This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[u]COMING DOWN WITH STUDEITIS </u>: by Frank Drumheller
    Edited from an article in THE STUDEBAKER MENU, newsletter of the Greater Virginia Chapter, SDC, Vol. 20, No. 3, May-June, 2005

Oh, I've had the disease for a long time. A fascination with cars and trucks captivated me as early as my fifth year. For whatever reason, I seemed to be drawn to the name and models of the vehicles belonging to my family. The first vehicle I recall is the family 1935 Plymouth sedan that died in late-1942. I remember vividly my father bringing home an almost new 1941 Chevrolet Coupe in early 1943. He had paid a fellow worker more than the car sold for new just two years earlier. My Dad was fortunate to buy this coupe, as we had no family transportation for a number of months in those dark days of WWII. We lived in rural Augusta County (VA) and Dad was tired of walking miles to catch a ride to Waynesboro (VA) every working day on a swing-shift schedule at DuPont. Folks did what they had to do during the depth of the war.

In the late 1940's, a cousin taught me the difference between a '47 and a '48 Chevrolet. That set me to learning the make and year of every car and truck that I saw. By 1951, I could tell you the brand, model, year, type of engine, cubic inches and hosepower of every car and many trucks on the road. That was the time I began visiting every dealership I could and carrying away free literature which I read over and over. If I had studeid my lessions as well as I memorized car brochures, I might have amounted to something!! I still have all those brochures boxed in our basement and attic.

My first remembered encounter with a Studebaker was in the early spring of 1947. The morning's 'Little Recess' bell had rung. Two of my fourth grade buddies and I ran out the school's front door when we were shocked to a screeching halt. There sat a new 1947 Studebaker Starlight Coupe in medium blue at the end of the walkway. Never had I seen such a fantastic automobile. So help me, my friend on the right blurted out, "Which way is it going?" I've never forgotten the moment or the Studebaker. There has always been a soft-spot in my heart for Studebakers ever since because they were 'different'.

My first car was another 1941 Chevrolet Coupe, purchased in 1955 following my freshman year at college. A 1951 Mercury sedan then replaced the Chevy and lasted three years to see me graduate from college and through my first year of teaching. I entereed the 1960's with a 1955 Plymouth V8, as my attention was now drawn to antique cars. Still no Studebaker's, as my first antique car was a 1930 Model A Ford bought in 1959. The Model A didn't last long as the first two antique car shows I attended had more Model A's than antique cars! Man, was I disappointed. I wanted somthing unique, different. The A was sold and a 1930 Marquette sedan took it's place (I still own the Marquette). Then the Kaiser-Frazer bug bit me. I bought a 1951 Frazer Manhattan 4 door convertible (only 156 built), several Kaiser part cars including an Allstate. After seven years teaching in elementary and high schools, I did without cars for several years as I spent a two year team with the Peace Corps in Turkey in the mid-60's.

When I returned to the States in 1967, I accepted a job in Louisa County in school administration and began my Master's program at the University of Virginia. I continued my antique car hobby by purchasing a 1947 Frazer Manhattan sedan and a 1948 Buick Roadmaster fastback that same year. During this period of the '60's, my daily drivers ranged from a 1961 Corvair coupe, a 1954 Buick Century hardtop, to a 1958 Cadillac coupe, but still no Studebakers.

A younger brother was the first Studebaker owner in my family. While I was surviving with the '51 Mercury, Brother Ray bought a 1951 Studebaker Commander convertible, maroon with a red leather interior and overdrive. It was worn out and would blow oil all over the front sheet metal while running down the local Fords and my Mercury, but it earned its keep. Sometime later,

Comment

Why a Studebaker? Because it's different. Because it's not a Camaro, Firebird, Nova or Mustang. I didn't want the same cars at a cruise that everyone else would have.

Why this Studebaker? It was a roller. It was an original 4-speed car with all the clutch linkage. Because a Chevy small block crate engine would drop right in. And the price was right ($800).

Why would I buy a 2nd Studebaker? Because since buying the first, parts are available and reasonable. An NOS fender won't cost me $500+. There are cars available at more than reasonable prices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Why a Studebaker? Because it's different. Because it's not a Camaro, Firebird, Nova or Mustang. I didn't want the same cars at a cruise that everyone else would have.

Why this Studebaker? It was a roller. It was an original 4-speed car with all the clutch linkage. Because a Chevy small block crate engine would drop right in. And the price was right ($800).

Why would I buy a 2nd Studebaker? Because since buying the first, parts are available and reasonable. An NOS fender won't cost me $500+. There are cars available at more than reasonable prices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

"Why would anyone want a Studebaker?"

The question has two meanings depending on if yours is drivable or
          not at the moment. Since my power steering went kaput ...[}]

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

"Why would anyone want a Studebaker?"

The question has two meanings depending on if yours is drivable or
            not at the moment. Since my power steering went kaput ...[}]

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

When my Grandpa died in 1993, I was the "mechanic" in the family and no one wanted the Studes but me. Grandpa would not own ANYTHING but a Studebaker because his Grandfather would use ONLY Studebaker wagons. They carried Freight as far west as El Paso and as far north as Sante Fe, N.M. from the rail head in San Antonio.

Unproven story in the family is that in 1865 when the Hyde brothers wanted to restart their freight businness after the War of Northern Agression, they liberated a few from the yankee army.
              Jim
              Republic of Texas

Comment

When my Grandpa died in 1993, I was the "mechanic" in the family and no one wanted the Studes but me. Grandpa would not own ANYTHING but a Studebaker because his Grandfather would use ONLY Studebaker wagons. They carried Freight as far west as El Paso and as far north as Sante Fe, N.M. from the rail head in San Antonio.

Unproven story in the family is that in 1865 when the Hyde brothers wanted to restart their freight businness after the War of Northern Agression, they liberated a few from the yankee army.
                Jim
                Republic of Texas

Comment

Working...
                X