need a speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a speaker

Looking for an operable speaker that goes behind the dash, for my '58 sedan. Early Lark may be the same.

TIA.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Wouldn't any 4x6 4ohm modern speaker work, and produce greater fidelity?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I have no idea.. [:I] Though a modern one may be better to have.

No radio shops within reasonable distance of where I live. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Wouldn't any 4x6 4ohm modern speaker work, and produce greater fidelity?
        Absolutely.As long as it can fit and you can run wires to it,it's not an issue.Just don't let any SDC judges know!![:0]

Comment

Have you tried Stude Intl? I got a speaker for a Lark from them.

Nick

Comment

Check what you can scavenge off those junked Lincolns and Mud Turtles; should all be 4ohm, with mid-range and center tweeters; better than original.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You need a 10 OHM speaker, we went around on this here before, some thought it did not matter, but the electronics pros said; NO, it damages the output transformer I think it is called, power supply whatever with higher volumes and longer term use. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Been there ....Done that ........Rich is correct .......You gotta have a 10ohm speaker

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                sigpic
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

For heavens sake, get a new speaker! Any old speaker will have the paper cone dried out and just ready to tear. If you have the old speaker, check the ohm value printed on the rear of the magnet. If no old one, go to the trusty manual. New speaker, same ohms.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see what I can find.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Radio Shack.Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Most of the Studebaker car radio's and speakers systems we are dealing with are monophonic {not stereo, not 2 channel} with 10 ohm. output {impedance} and less than 10 watts peak power output. I don't know the exact figures. Like said previously, it is best to match the radio's output impedance to an equal speakers input impedance. If the speaker impedance is less than that of the radio's output transformer, or output transistor, whatever the configuration may be, it is said to be a mis - match. This theoretically, and does, allow the radio's output circuit to be operated under stressful conditions. Temperatures within the components of the output circuit will increase beyond their tolerable limits, thus contributing to premature failure. Sooner or later. Just when? I don't know. If the speaker impedance is more than the output of the radio it should not harm the radio. It probably will not sound proper An impedance match supposedly will allow for a better quality of sound reproduction, although wattage ratings, {power output in watts "W" should be considered also. In my opinion, if you use an 8 ohm speaker in place of a 10, I wouldn't worry at all. The radio will probably not know the difference. A standard Studebaker car radio speaker was probably under 12 watts power handling capacity. You don't need no steenking 90 watt ball buster speaker. Your stock radio wouldn't be able to move that speaker cone enough to create an adequate amount of quality sound reproduction. Just get a cheap low power handling capacity speaker. The right physical size should be available with 8 ohms at less than 20 Watts capacity. If you want 2 speakers, get two 8 or 10 ohms's and a fader control. "If you don't want a fader control, two 8 or 10ohm speakers wired in series across your power out will be 16 to 20 ohms impedance. Wont hurt a thing. I don't know what it will sound like. Parallel speaker combinations sum up differently. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel become 4 ohm as a combo. Two 4 ohm become 2 ohm as a parallel combo, Two 10's become 5 ohm as a parallel combo. There are parallel - series combinations also but I don't want to complicate any further than I may have allready. By the way, make sure your speaker or speakers are phased properly. -to ground and + to radio spkr. output. They work better when in phase. You wouldn't hook your starter up backwards would you? jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Since we are on the subject of speakers, my original 63 lark am radio works, but the sound falters. one minute it is fine, then, unexplicably, the sound drops about 2/3 in volume, then it comes back. At first, I thought it was a short, but why would there still be sound if it were shorting out? Wouldn't it cut out completely?

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

If you feel that your antenna is ok and they usually are,check the wires to the speaker firstly. Substitute another speaker temporarily. 8 to 10 ohm. One from your stereo will work. If symptons persist you may have a radio problem. jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The ohms of the speaker should be matched to the radio. Ir you install an aftermarket radio it should be marked as to what speaker to use. The old Western auto may have what you need NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X