1964 Aussie Saloon Race with '63 Larks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Aussie Saloon Race with '63 Larks

The following You-Tube video courtesy of Studebaker National Museum Archivist Andy Beckman's brother, Tom Beckman. Tom found this somewhere and sent it along.

'Fun to watch the RHD cars racing in period 1964 format. 1963 Lark appears at about 2:30, 'rounding the bend. Toward the end, mention is made of "The Rodger-Ward-prepared supercharged Studebaker" as it roars past the start-finish line on the first lap of the race. BP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZiQ4PJSmyo
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

COOL BEANS Bob! [] [^] There are at least TWO '63 Lark Regal 2Dr. Sedans in that race! [^] The announcer calls one the "Supercharged Studebaker", and the other a Lark!

AND both of them started in row ONE, if they had to qualify to get there, they must have done really WELL! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Love that starting line up! Thanks for the heads-up Bob.

R2Andy
      R2Andrea

Comment

Very cool! Love seeing the Studes in action, as well as the vintage Cortinas, Alfas, and that big 500-series Benz! Whoever knew a Galaxie could corner that flat at speed?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

The following You-Tube video courtesy of Studebaker National Museum Archivist Andy Beckman's brother, Tom Beckman. Tom found this somewhere and sent it along.

'Fun to watch the RHD cars racing in period 1964 format. 1963 Lark appears at about 2:30, 'rounding the bend. Toward the end, mention is made of "The Rodger-Ward-prepared supercharged Studebaker" as it roars past the start-finish line on the first lap of the race. BP

Thanks for the link, Bob! I wonder if those Larks that were in that race still survive!![^] I bet our Australian members will know. On a different note, I'd sure love to have that BMC Factory Service Training Van seen at the very beginning for a motorhome!

Craig

Comment

I remember watching this on TV around 5 years ago. I might have it on a video tape some where.

The mention about the Ford's brakes fading in practice is a little foreshadowing for later in the race.

Nick

Comment

Hehe, watching those Larks race was great..... Now I know why the outsides of my front tires are scrubbed off [}][B)]

Jon Krimm
              1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ
              Jon Krimm
              1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

That may have been driven by Bert Needham, a studebaker dealer and racer who was sadly killed by one of his cars when the fan detached and hit him in the forehead.

Will watch when I have more time.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/3188334...58071811/show/
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

According to Wikopedia the 2 Studes entered in the race came in 1st & 3rd in their class, 17th & 23rd overall. The Ford Galaxie was a DNF.

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X