Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stude dude
    replied
    The blue ambulance is a 1964 model, currently owned by local club members. It was converted into an ambulance when new by Athol Hedges P/L, a Queensland company that built caravan and ambulance bodies. Most ambulances started out as complete sedans that had the body cut away. My father remembers seeing a lot of rear body panel that were later returned to the dealership for spares.

Only two of this particular type are known to have been built. The body is all steel and uses stock rear fenders, '63 Lark rear lamps and half a rear seat (collapsible). In service, they were found to be too narrow for practical use so later models were enlarged like the yellow one seen in the article.

The larger models were also built by Athol Hedges throughout 1964-65, some with extended wheelbases. They were produced in greater numbers and usually delivered to the builder as a "cab chassis" setup to save wasting the rear body parts. The bodies were constructed of aluminum and fiberglass. Most were 259's or 283's with manual and a model 27 diff! This particular ambulance remained in service in suburban Brisbane until 1983! It is still owned by the local government.

The white ambulance was built in Victoria by Superior. Like the blue ambulance, these started out as Cruiser sedans. These are unique because they used fiberglass rear fenders that were molded to look like the original panels. They also had half a rear seat. Being a '65 model, this car was originally a 283 with manual. I know of only one other of this type.

All are very interesting vehicles and have become highly collectible. Unfortunatley the survival rate is not high.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    Thanks for the article Craig.

R2Andy

Leave a comment:

• studecruiser
    replied
    Sweeeeeet!!![]

Leave a comment:

• Stude Mick
    replied

And another photo at the 2005 National in Adelaide Austalia

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Leave a comment:

• Stude Mick
    replied

Here is another photo of it, it was taken at the last Studebaker National in Queensland Australia. I dont know who owns it, but I believe it was origanly an ambulance.
    Pretty cool I think

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Thanks for posting the pictures and article. Now I get the ambulance deal. And to think, I spent some time in Australia when some of these could have been in service. I am very thankful I did not need one at the time.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Durn!!! And I was about ready to go buy a gurney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Oh, Mr. Bams50, ppllleeeeeze buy one for me, too!
    Now don't get carried away, Bob, I said it'd be cool to own, but not that I'd actually buy one... or two for that matter

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Oh, Mr. Bams50, ppllleeeeeze buy one for me, too!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Gee whillikers! Tell me all about this car in words, and I wouldn't give it a second thought. But seeing it...... that is one beautiful Lark!!
    Read more here:

Craig

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50
    Anyone know where it is, and what it's purpose really was?
    Yup. [^] Read the posts in this thread, I did... [:0] [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

How come Bob,"Bams50 is'nt all over this?
    Just got in to see it Joe! You BET I'm all over it[]

What a cool piece that would be to have! Anyone know where it is, and what it's purpose really was?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Jamie, it looks like it started out as a 64,65 and used 63 tail lenses so it would clear the rear door area and blend in easier.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    Looks like it started life as a '64 Y body. The '63 tail lights were probably easier to adapt to the new bodywork than the originals were.

R2Andy

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    Am I wrong or does this thing have 64/65 front fenders and 63 tail lights?

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X