Wednesday eye candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Oh, Mr. Bams50, ppllleeeeeze buy one for me, too!
    Now don't get carried away, Bob, I said it'd be cool to own, but not that I'd actually buy one... or two for that matter

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Durn!!! And I was about ready to go buy a gurney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures and article. Now I get the ambulance deal. And to think, I spent some time in Australia when some of these could have been in service. I am very thankful I did not need one at the time.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is another photo of it, it was taken at the last Studebaker National in Queensland Australia. I dont know who owns it, but I believe it was origanly an ambulance.
          Pretty cool I think

Michael Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
          1961 Lark Cruiser
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net
          Michael Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
          1961 Lark Cruiser
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Avanti R1

Comment

And another photo at the 2005 National in Adelaide Austalia

Michael Pink
            Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
            1961 Lark Cruiser
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Avanti R1

Michael Pink
            Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
            1961 Lark Cruiser
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Avanti R1

Comment

Sweeeeeet!!![]

Comment

Thanks for the article Craig.

R2Andy
                R2Andrea

Comment

The blue ambulance is a 1964 model, currently owned by local club members. It was converted into an ambulance when new by Athol Hedges P/L, a Queensland company that built caravan and ambulance bodies. Most ambulances started out as complete sedans that had the body cut away. My father remembers seeing a lot of rear body panel that were later returned to the dealership for spares.

Only two of this particular type are known to have been built. The body is all steel and uses stock rear fenders, '63 Lark rear lamps and half a rear seat (collapsible). In service, they were found to be too narrow for practical use so later models were enlarged like the yellow one seen in the article.

The larger models were also built by Athol Hedges throughout 1964-65, some with extended wheelbases. They were produced in greater numbers and usually delivered to the builder as a "cab chassis" setup to save wasting the rear body parts. The bodies were constructed of aluminum and fiberglass. Most were 259's or 283's with manual and a model 27 diff! This particular ambulance remained in service in suburban Brisbane until 1983! It is still owned by the local government.

The white ambulance was built in Victoria by Superior. Like the blue ambulance, these started out as Cruiser sedans. These are unique because they used fiberglass rear fenders that were molded to look like the original panels. They also had half a rear seat. Being a '65 model, this car was originally a 283 with manual. I know of only one other of this type.

All are very interesting vehicles and have become highly collectible. Unfortunatley the survival rate is not high.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                  X