• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, for the sake of safety

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I am pretty sure that in New York State, all cars starting with 1953 had to have turn signals when initially sold. I guess that wasn't the case in all states.
    A strange one in New York State is that front seat belts were required starting on January 1, 1965. This meant that some 1965 models did not have seat belts and some did.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Those are great additions. I myself need to get a 'hazard flasher' setup for my lark. If I had one, I would have used it twice since I have owned it. Both for running out of gas. The last time it happened, in rush hour traffic, my wife said "turn your hazards on!" I replied "This car doesn't have any!" She said "Why??!?!?!" I said, 'Cause, they weren't required back in 1963!" So I turned on one of my turn signals in hopes that the flashing would at least get someones attention.

You are right about people not thinking that cars were made without turn signals at one point in time,a s most people don't pay attention to those kind of things. These days, hand signals are unheard of as well, which is a shame.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. I can't wait till the salt is off the roads!!

Comment

I have a 53K that my father bought new, but at the end of the 53 model run. He wanted a spot light and they wanted to sell him a 54 since they were not taking orders for 53's. He said the egg crate grill was too ugly. That and they wanted $60 for turn signals and in Calif. they were not required till 55.

Comment

The Daytona is getting hazards just in case. The belts will be used.

The seat belt law wasn't a New York law. It was federally mandated that all cars had to have them. That is why your state seat belt law excludes all cars built prior to January 1st, 1965. Now I have never seen wording that if you have belts in your car built prior to 1965 that if you don't wear the belt, you can be ticketed, but I've heard a few cops say, "If your car has belts, you have to wear them". I'd be wearing them anyways, but...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,

Do you know what city in Jawjah it was sold in?? Just curious.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                Now I have never seen wording that if you have belts in your car built prior to 1965 that if you don't wear the belt, you can be ticketed, but I've heard a few cops say, "If your car has belts, you have to wear them".
                The laws for Alberta basically read that way. If the car is a over a certain age, they are exempt, but if the car has them, you are required to use them. When I was driving my '65 Commander one summer evening, I was randomly pulled over at a check-stop, and the police officer did look inside to see if I was wearing my seat belt. However, he made no mention of a shoulder belt, or any other requirements applicable to later year cars.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X