63' Wagonaire Daytona Headliner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63' Wagonaire Daytona Headliner??

Hey Guy's I did some calling around today to Sasco Studes INT. and Phantom interiors. Nobody has a white cardboard (looks quilted) Daytona headliner. Phantom said she is gonna make a fiberglass repo headliner, which sound like a great upgrade for driving, but what about showing? I would assume that would be a points deduction. Now I'm not sure what i'm going to do with Delihla yet, but I may keep her around till I cam afford a full force show quality resto. If that happens I'll need an NOS or very good headliner. Anybody have one or have a lead on one?

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

/Cut/I'll need an NOS or very good headliner. Anybody have one or have a lead on one?
    You have not been looking long enough John, most of us have been for over 30 years and no luck! Good hunting!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you ever find a supplier, there are a lot of Wagonaire owners who would like one. I've had four Wagonaires and none of them had the cardboard in servicable condition. In fact, I've never seen a slide-top with a decent headliner. Leaking door seals cause damp inside the cars and it destroys the cardboard ceiling.

They must have been beautiful when new though. Snowy white and silver sparkles, along with that slight quilting... just beautiful.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'll be looking too as most of mine is/was lying on the floor and seats or just hanging around where it should not be.....

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Mine is in REALLY good shape except for a couple of mouse holes.

DARN THEM TERRRIBLE MEEECES!

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Has anybody ever contacted Ernie Loga. He might have a lead on some of the cardboard headliner.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
            Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

Hey JB, there's a project for you to repop! I'll take at least a couple[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The headliner in Dad's Wagonaire is pretty darn nice. Not sure it it's original or not, it came to us that way. That car hasn't seen a drop of rain in the 5 years that Dad has owned it.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Nice Matthew, it's a shame thats about the same shape mine is in, if it weren't for the 2 quarter sized mouse holes it would be almost perfect. It will do for a driver but if I ever want to show, it will need replace.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Matthew, it's hard to see it clearly with the flash. Would you take one or two in sunlight, so we can see just how it, and the surrounding trim, is supposed to look?

I wonder what would be a decent replacement? It would be cool to figure out an authentic-looking replacement that would be a little more water-resistant. I'd hate to put in, say, a NOS one and seeing it stained the first time I got caught in the rain It's a real melon-scratcher, but if we all brainstorm we might be able to figure something out...

Anyone have ideas?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hey Bams I talked to the lady at Phantom this morning. She is thinking of doing them in fiberglass for just that reason. It would be a MUCH better way to go but would not work for the purist. I would much rather use the fiberglass model but if shes going to do it it would be more cost effective for her to repop the cardboard. Then she could sell to all who wanted one. I think If shes only going to do one model the cardboard covers everone then all we need to do is find a better seal system to keep out the water.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Well, for one, if the cardboard was painted with an exterior paint on the outside and a light fiberglassing on the inside, it would look great and not be so prone to warping/waterstaining.

Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Hey Bams I talked to the lady at Phantom this morning. She is thinking of doing them in fiberglass
                          That might be a good answer. I'd like to have one you could install and not have to think about again. I've yet to own a Wagonaire for any period of time, but I could see worrying about that headliner getting wet detracting from the fun of taking it on a trip, or even taking it out locally if the weather's questionable

I bet that would be pricey... I wonder if one could be made looking close enough to stock to fool judges??

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Actually, the original material was not durable and an especially bad choice for sliding roof Wagonaires. If the top of the roof was damp and it was opened, it made the cardboard soggy. Even normal humidity made the stuff sag.

The fiberglass reproduction pieces for the Avantis show what can be done. The problem is to get some full-size Wagonaire pieces in good shape to make a silicone rubber mold. There aren't any NOS pieces to use, and taking one out of a car destroys the cardboard. It's as if a mold with the waffle pattern would need to be machined. After molding and painting off-white, the pattern of little silver dots would have to be silk-screened onto the waffled surface. Not an easy task!

I've been thinking about getting some thin sheets of ABS plastic and having an upholstery shop glue on some of the perforated cloth used as headliners in GT Hawks. That would look pretty close to the original and be much more durable. The front piece might have to be molded a little but even that is relatively cheap tooling. Maybe we should ask Roddoors if they could do it - they already make ABS headliners for M and C-cab trucks. See http://www.roddoors.com/pages/hdlnr-dir.html

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Just so happens I have the two pieces and they are in very good condition except for a small dog ear on one. I had them for sale a couple of years ago.....no takers.

I thought I had pictures....can't find them at this time.

To Gary's point...cardboard is not the best choice in this application, unless you travel with a tarp.

Bill Foy
                              Kingston, Ontario
                              1964 Wagonaire Slider
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X