Stude Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Guru

Who is the stude guru in the world? Is there a studebaker museum or a web site I can go to. I would like to know how many 40 commanders still exist. Any help will be appreicated

Viperron

Ron,

With 114 years of production for the Studebaker Wagon/Auto company, there's no central "guru" that's gonna know it ALL. However we have several of the leading reference minds right here on this forum.

No one is going to be able to tell you how many '40 Commanders - or even more specifically, Commander Coupes - there are still in existance. There's no central tabulation center or roster where all such cars are required to check in.
    There are folks who start rosters for a given model, but their list is only as accurate as regards those who CHOSE to bother to register. There's likely a bunch of 40 Commanders "out there" that no one cares to bother to make known to the world.

Surely someone here will come up with the industry accepted percentage of projected survivors, but it's still just a guess.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I appreciate the reply however I've been going to car shows for many years and I have never seen another one, nor have I seen any for sale or at an auction. If you do please let me know.

Viperron

Comment

There's a fella here locally that has a nice driver 40 coupe - all original. Keep an eye on ebay too - they show up there now and then.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you are an SDC member, you could get the roster of all 13,000 members. Listed are the Studebaker(s) each owns.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I owned one,saw 2 more at local shows,took parts off
            another one in a junkyard and somewhere in my 'puter
            have pics of several more from around the country.
            Doesnt make me a guru.No idea how many there are left.
            They are out there.
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I have a good friend who is about finished restoring one with the straight eight engine. It is the only one I have ever seen with the eight cylinder.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ron - How do you get that baby over speedbumps?

Comment

There is one is Springfield, MO.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

I receive questions about rarity all the time and my stock answer is, "compared to what?" If you compare it to a Ford or Chevy of the same era the answer is yes, it is very rare. If you compare to other Studebaker models say 1938-42 President and Commander Coupes and Club Sedans then no it is not rare. In any event scarcity has virtually no bearing on value. While a Studebaker might be much more scarce than a Ford or Chevy it will likely not bring as much money (all other things being equal) when put up for sale.

Above are a few photos from my files of some of the 1940 Commander Coupes of which I am aware. The one at lower left is not actually a Coupe but a Club Sedan which, in my opinion, is the most attractive body style of the 3 offered in that model year.

I am not really not much interested in heavily modified Studebakers. After all when they are completed they really cease to be Studebakers. Generally the drive trains are all new, the front and rear suspension are replaced, the wheels and tires radically changed and the brightwork either painted or removed with the only parts left showing its original Studebaker heritage being some sheet metal (and it is often modified to a considerable degree). The people who worked to assemble the cars in 1940 would not be able to recognize it on a bet.

For what it may be worth there were 25,744 Studebaker Commander 4 door sedans built in the 1940 model year, 6393 Club Sedans and 2548 Coupes. As for how many have survived it is anyone's guess.

Incidentally, the blue car shown in the lower right in the photo above was featured on this site back in 2007. It has 1,405 original miles. You may get something out of this previous thread:
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...1940,commander

And also enjoy these photos:
                    http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Once again, you are "Spot On" Richard. "Popularity" and not "Rarity" seems to win out. At the "All-Makes" shows, the guys with the "A" models, Chevy coupes, early T Birds, mustangs, etc. usually walk away with the trophies. The "rare" ones get a lot of curious looks and very often mistaken comments, but popularity wins.

John Clary
                      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                      SDC member since 1975
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X