Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    Just catching up on reading the posts. Seems if I miss a few days all kinds of posts appear. Boy, if we could get Jeff on the hunt for Osama, I'll be he could come up with him within 24 hours the way he finds this stuff.

Thank everyone. Really appreciated.

Ted

Leave a comment:

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    Just catching up on reading the posts. Seems if I miss a few days all kinds of posts appear. Boy, if we could get Jeff on the hunt for Osama, I'll be he could come up with him within 24 hours the way he finds this stuff.

Thank everyone. Really appreciated.

Ted

Leave a comment:

• loc8tor
    replied
    Teds a great guy! Im glad he is being recognized.....at the WV meet last year I had him sign my magazine, I think it was Hot Rod or Hemmings Muscle, a few of the spectators approached me afterward asking how old the magazine was, first they were shocked, when I said a month or so, then they asked where the closest magazine/book store was.......I have a picture of Ted signing it but dont know how to post it here. CONGRATS TED!!!!

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Leave a comment:

• loc8tor
    replied
    Teds a great guy! Im glad he is being recognized.....at the WV meet last year I had him sign my magazine, I think it was Hot Rod or Hemmings Muscle, a few of the spectators approached me afterward asking how old the magazine was, first they were shocked, when I said a month or so, then they asked where the closest magazine/book store was.......I have a picture of Ted signing it but dont know how to post it here. CONGRATS TED!!!!

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    (Forwarded by Jeff Rice 2/7/2007 GO TED!!!)

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...?ID=242787&FS=

Hot Rod Reunion - Fast Five with Ted Harbit
    Racing series NHRA
    Date 2007-02-05

"Fast Five" with Ted Harbit

Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion Honoree built and raced cars for a half-century

*Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion: June 15-17, National Trail Raceway, Columbus, Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- (Feb. 5, 2007) -- Teacher. Coach. Builder. Racer. Winner. Studebaker lover. That's Ted Harbit, an Honoree at the Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, June 15-17 at National Trail Raceway near Columbus, Ohio.

Harbit raced his "Chicken Hawk" 1951 Studebaker and won the Stock class at the NHRA Nationals an incredible seven times in 11 tries. A retired teacher and basketball coach in the Frankton, Ind. school system, he has raced continuously in cars he's built himself for more than 50 years. Ted retired from class racing after the '72 U.S. Nationals and drove the Studebaker occasionally until 1987 when he decided to see how fast it would really go. With twin turbochargers and twin four barrel carbs, he's turned a best of 10.07 at 137.8 mph. In the Studebaker Drivers Club publication, Turning Wheels, Harbit explained why he still uses a Studebaker engine. "My own experience has been that it is not necessary to go to expensive extremes to develop over 500 HP in a Studebaker V-8. . . and that the engine is so basically sturdy that one need not fear immediate disintegration when higher horsepowers (sic) have been developed."

1. How does it feel to be named an Honoree for the 5th annual NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion? What does the Reunion mean to you?

Ted Harbit: I feel honored to be selected as an honoree, knowing there are literally hundreds of worthy racers out there. This is something I'll treasure the rest of my life, and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a participant in this gala affair.

2. In your wildest dreams, did you think after you retired, people would honor your racing exploits decades later?

Harbit: No, not in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine this. When I was asked to be a participant in the Golden 50th NHRA Anniversary Drags, I was overwhelmed and thought that would be the last recognition I would receive.

3. What are some of your fondest and funniest memories about the good old days?

Harbit: Two come to mind: The first year we won the Nationals in K/Stock in 1962, we took the intake, head, etc., off the car to have it checked for legality. After waiting around for about half an hour and no one doing anything, I went to Farmer Dismuke, the national tech director and asked if they could start checking the Studebaker. Farmer was a little grumpy, asking why I thought I should get special treatment! When I told him I had to put the car back together to drive it home, he looked surprised and said, 'Are you serious?' When I said I was, he hollered at his help and said, 'We got to get to work, guys. Believe it or not, this guy has to drive his car home tonight.'

The other time was about the 1967 or '68 Nationals when I was at the line, ready to run, and the starter, I think it was Buster Couch, told me I had a bye run. I asked why and he said the other fellow could not get his car started. I looked back at the staging lanes and he sat there with the hood up. The starter said his battery was dead. I asked if I could give him a jump start as I had jumper cables in my trunk. He said I could, but didn't have to. I backed up, raised my trunk and jumped his car and we went ahead to race. We won and on the way back on the return road I heard all these people cheering, giving the 'thumbs up' sign, etc. I later heard when the win light came on about 50,000 fans cheered. I'll always remember that.

4. Why do people enjoy the Hot Rod Reunions and vintage drag racing?

Harbit: Hot Rod Reunions are when you can see a lot of people you haven't seen for years, plus meet new people and friends. I guess the vintage racing helps us old guys re

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    (Forwarded by Jeff Rice 2/7/2007 GO TED!!!)

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...?ID=242787&FS=

Hot Rod Reunion - Fast Five with Ted Harbit
    Racing series NHRA
    Date 2007-02-05

"Fast Five" with Ted Harbit

Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion Honoree built and raced cars for a half-century

*Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion: June 15-17, National Trail Raceway, Columbus, Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- (Feb. 5, 2007) -- Teacher. Coach. Builder. Racer. Winner. Studebaker lover. That's Ted Harbit, an Honoree at the Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, June 15-17 at National Trail Raceway near Columbus, Ohio.

Harbit raced his "Chicken Hawk" 1951 Studebaker and won the Stock class at the NHRA Nationals an incredible seven times in 11 tries. A retired teacher and basketball coach in the Frankton, Ind. school system, he has raced continuously in cars he's built himself for more than 50 years. Ted retired from class racing after the '72 U.S. Nationals and drove the Studebaker occasionally until 1987 when he decided to see how fast it would really go. With twin turbochargers and twin four barrel carbs, he's turned a best of 10.07 at 137.8 mph. In the Studebaker Drivers Club publication, Turning Wheels, Harbit explained why he still uses a Studebaker engine. "My own experience has been that it is not necessary to go to expensive extremes to develop over 500 HP in a Studebaker V-8. . . and that the engine is so basically sturdy that one need not fear immediate disintegration when higher horsepowers (sic) have been developed."

1. How does it feel to be named an Honoree for the 5th annual NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion? What does the Reunion mean to you?

Ted Harbit: I feel honored to be selected as an honoree, knowing there are literally hundreds of worthy racers out there. This is something I'll treasure the rest of my life, and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a participant in this gala affair.

2. In your wildest dreams, did you think after you retired, people would honor your racing exploits decades later?

Harbit: No, not in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine this. When I was asked to be a participant in the Golden 50th NHRA Anniversary Drags, I was overwhelmed and thought that would be the last recognition I would receive.

3. What are some of your fondest and funniest memories about the good old days?

Harbit: Two come to mind: The first year we won the Nationals in K/Stock in 1962, we took the intake, head, etc., off the car to have it checked for legality. After waiting around for about half an hour and no one doing anything, I went to Farmer Dismuke, the national tech director and asked if they could start checking the Studebaker. Farmer was a little grumpy, asking why I thought I should get special treatment! When I told him I had to put the car back together to drive it home, he looked surprised and said, 'Are you serious?' When I said I was, he hollered at his help and said, 'We got to get to work, guys. Believe it or not, this guy has to drive his car home tonight.'

The other time was about the 1967 or '68 Nationals when I was at the line, ready to run, and the starter, I think it was Buster Couch, told me I had a bye run. I asked why and he said the other fellow could not get his car started. I looked back at the staging lanes and he sat there with the hood up. The starter said his battery was dead. I asked if I could give him a jump start as I had jumper cables in my trunk. He said I could, but didn't have to. I backed up, raised my trunk and jumped his car and we went ahead to race. We won and on the way back on the return road I heard all these people cheering, giving the 'thumbs up' sign, etc. I later heard when the win light came on about 50,000 fans cheered. I'll always remember that.

4. Why do people enjoy the Hot Rod Reunions and vintage drag racing?

Harbit: Hot Rod Reunions are when you can see a lot of people you haven't seen for years, plus meet new people and friends. I guess the vintage racing helps us old guys re

Leave a comment:

• curt
    replied
    Great,keep up the good work, and keep enjoying the sport!

Leave a comment:

• curt
    replied
    Great,keep up the good work, and keep enjoying the sport!

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Nicer, greater guys are few and far between~ Way to go Ted!!!!
    I may have met Ted earlier in my life, but the time I know we met for sure was at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags in September 2001~

This was less then a week after 9/11. The races almost didn't happen, but I had already driven up from Jacksonville, FL to be there. Many others had driven from far and wide to be there as well. I enjoyed the Friday 'practice' in which Ted dusted just about everything that lined up with him. Later, when the track was shut down for the night he and MaryAnn needed a ride. His truck makes for less then a smooth ride, you see...
    As luck would have it of all the Studes there that day, Sweet Pea was the only one that wasn't already packed with fans!!! I was the only one with room for The Harbits! We talked alot on the trip back to the 'meet' hotel, more at dinner, and yet even more in the parking lot that night with the rest of the 'tire-kickers'.
    He offered to put some gas in the car~ knowing full-well that I needed to make that trip back either way, and darn-near wouldn't take 'no' for an answer! I insisted that he'd need gas money for his truck more then I needed some for Sweet Pea, and he finally did give in, and kept his money.

Then I gave him the Stude V8 50th Anniversary t-shirt I brought from the Tri-State Meet the weekend before...

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Nicer, greater guys are few and far between~ Way to go Ted!!!!
    I may have met Ted earlier in my life, but the time I know we met for sure was at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags in September 2001~

This was less then a week after 9/11. The races almost didn't happen, but I had already driven up from Jacksonville, FL to be there. Many others had driven from far and wide to be there as well. I enjoyed the Friday 'practice' in which Ted dusted just about everything that lined up with him. Later, when the track was shut down for the night he and MaryAnn needed a ride. His truck makes for less then a smooth ride, you see...
    As luck would have it of all the Studes there that day, Sweet Pea was the only one that wasn't already packed with fans!!! I was the only one with room for The Harbits! We talked alot on the trip back to the 'meet' hotel, more at dinner, and yet even more in the parking lot that night with the rest of the 'tire-kickers'.
    He offered to put some gas in the car~ knowing full-well that I needed to make that trip back either way, and darn-near wouldn't take 'no' for an answer! I insisted that he'd need gas money for his truck more then I needed some for Sweet Pea, and he finally did give in, and kept his money.

Then I gave him the Stude V8 50th Anniversary t-shirt I brought from the Tri-State Meet the weekend before...

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Ted it was a Pleasure meeting you and your wife in Omaha. I kept hoping we would run into you and you ended up at the table next to us. Another admiring fan.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Fresno,Cahttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Ted it was a Pleasure meeting you and your wife in Omaha. I kept hoping we would run into you and you ended up at the table next to us. Another admiring fan.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Fresno,Cahttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035

Leave a comment:

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    Just read the post about the NHRA thing. I don't know how some of you guys can find all this stuff on the computer. I know I couldn't.

I have no idea what to expect from this. I got a call from NHRA asking if I could attend and to send a head shot to them.

Thanks Jeff R., Bob P., JP, Dick S. Biggs, Leonard S. Jeff J., and anyone I left out for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it.

Ted

Leave a comment:

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    Just read the post about the NHRA thing. I don't know how some of you guys can find all this stuff on the computer. I know I couldn't.

I have no idea what to expect from this. I got a call from NHRA asking if I could attend and to send a head shot to them.

Thanks Jeff R., Bob P., JP, Dick S. Biggs, Leonard S. Jeff J., and anyone I left out for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it.

Ted

Leave a comment:

• jjones
    replied
    And the nicest person I have ever had the pleasure to do business with.

Jeff Jones

Leave a comment:

Working...
X