• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbca96
    replied
    '65/'66 Sedan, with the 283 V8, add a TH700R4 used for around $500. It
    will add more pep to the 283, and give you solid mpg on the freeway. I
    would add an Airgap manifold and Edelbrock AFB carb to work the 700's
    pressure "TV" cable. For extra comfort add some modern seats.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Let me look at this from another perspective. Mark gets his DD and a deer runs out in front of him. Or someone runs a stop sign. What will be the easiest to fix? Definitely a '64-'66 sedan. And Dick is correct about engine parts availability. Your local FLAPS will have shelves full of Chebby parts without having to have something overnighted.

Get the body style that suits your needs best, and I personally would get a '65 or '66. 283-V8 with a 3-speed OD, and with me being in FL, A/C. My personal preference with a V8 would be PS and PB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by N8N

So, Mark, decided what you're going to get yet?

nate

55 Commander Starlight
    For the moment, I'll be sticking with my '57 Transtar, I do have an option to buy a '63 Lark type at some point, but I may have a closer look at some of the other suggestions at some upcoming SDC events this spring and summer. I am also waiting to see what happens with my (un)employment situation as well - hey, you have to dream!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    So, Mark, decided what you're going to get yet?

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Mark, come down to Georgia and I'll let you put a few miles on my '58. It's a great driving car. [^]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA
    Thanks for the offer Matt ... not sure if or when I would ever get to your part of the continent however. But I will keep it in mind.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

</h5>

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    A brand new Avanti...Convertible.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]So, if you were starting out today to buy a Studebaker vehicle to provide yourself with daily transportation (for 2 people) to the tune of about 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year, which model would you buy?
    &lt;snip&gt;

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Mark, come down to Georgia and I'll let you put a few miles on my '58. It's a great driving car. [^]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
    I might know someone who can help you out with that problem Mark.

Just be sure to be in Wenatchee and not Yakima in June... [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    I'll be there![] (in Wenatchee that is). [:I]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

</h5>

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mark57
    I have never driven a 56-58 sedan/wagon before. [B)] I am thinking I'll have to try one out. Mark
    I might know someone who can help you out with that problem Mark.

Just be sure to be in Wenatchee and not Yakima in June... [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Also I assumed Mark meant stock production Studebaker (but I could be wrong about that).

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    You assumed correctly Dick! I have owned '62, '63 and '65 "Lark" type cars in the past, but confess I have never driven a 56-58 sedan/wagon before. [B)] I am thinking I'll have to try one out.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

</h5>

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

Dick,

Since you like the chevy engines and earlier body style for daily transportation, does this mean you will keep the 63 Daytona for your daily transportation?
    The color is nice and perfect for your daily driving[]

Maybe. I also have a '62 Lark 2 door HT (V8-Auto)that would serve the same purpose. I'd like to keep them all, but I don't have enough barns

BTW, I have your K interior stainless and can bring it by when it is convenient for you.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Dick,

Since you like the chevy engines and earlier body style for daily transportation, does this mean you will keep the 63 Daytona for your daily transportation?
    The color is nice and perfect for your daily driving[]

James

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dick, what "repair parts" do you anticipate needing on a regular basis??? Carrying a spare fuel pump, water pump and belts is just common sense. If you need a rod or a timing gear, overnight shipping is there.
    This was Mark's criteria...

" Daily transportation...18,00-20,000 miles per year...And keeping in mind the availability of service parts and ease of doing most of the maintenance yourself."

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but I do believe Chevy parts are less expensive than Studebaker parts, and that more auto parts stores carry Chevy parts than Studebaker parts.

If it was different criteria (favorite Studebaker, the ONLY Studebaker you can own, etc.) my choice would probably be different. A '65-66 is not my favorite Studebaker and I've never owned one. It just fit Mark's criteria best (for me).

Also I assumed Mark meant stock production Studebaker (but I could be wrong about that).

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dick, what "repair parts" do you anticipate needing on a regular basis??? Carrying a spare fuel pump, water pump and belts is just common sense. If you need a rod or a timing gear, overnight shipping is there. But you're more likely to NEED such things with the lesser motor.[^]

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Leave a comment:

• Shane
    replied
    Hello Mark, If you are up to the work you could use most any model year you fancy, also look for '65 or '66 motor mounts to convert the Studebaker to a Chevy engine. Use disc brakes with Turner conversion econo kits. The '65 pictured below was good deal with out the motor I'm going to drop in Chevy 350 and use Turner disc brake kits on all four wheels this is not cheap all though it will pay off in long run.

'65 Commander

Leave a comment:

Working...
X