No announcement yet.

Here's a Question - Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were starting out today I would still get the car I have. I have a 54 Coupe which I was using as a daily driver for years. I drive it occasionally now, but rarely ever have to open the hood. It starts every time I get in it, goes down the road well, brakes are modern disc, rear end is a Ford, engine is an R1 and trans is a 4 speed.
    It depends what YOU want, though. I would recommend a Hawk. Get one with a V8 and 3 spd with OD. Change the shifter to the floor and use the OD on the highway to get better mileage. The Hawks are great looking cars, get lots of attention, are very economical to drive and get TONS of attention. You will get "thumbs up" everywhere you go. The drive is smooth and they handle very well. The maintenance required is minimal.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

I have a short answer, and a long answer. Here's the short one~

I've been driving my '65 Cruiser almost everyday since December 1991. The only exceptions to this would be during the four deployments I made during that time. Even after sitting for seven months- I had ZERO problems getting back on the road. Were I to do all those years over, I'd loose the power steering and upgrade the power disc brakes. Why [?]
      The p/s STILL LEAKS, and the PDBs need pads way too often in everyday REAL World use.
      I'm sure there's a better way~

I'll know soon enough. It's time for a new ride~
      and I have a few to choose from!!!!

Email me for the long answer~ if you dare...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      San Diego, Ca.
      (but not for long...)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I have had so many Studebakers in my young live "67" years but the 65-66 Daytonas are nice looking good running and not being a hard top but look like one less leaks, then I just sold my 57 Packard Clipper one really nice car to drive and ride in, then own a Avanti and it starts all over , they are all fun to drive its hard to pick...Bob Peterson
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Thanks for all of the thoughts, comments and suggestions. Definitely some "food for thought"! I may have to take a few different models for a test drive.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

My experiance is fairly limited. That said, my '56 wagon gets the same mileage as my '64 did. The '56 (Bess) has more head, leg, hip and whatever room you wanna pick. The steering isn't any harder than a smaller car. In fact, I find it about the same. The only time I miss power steering is when I'm towing and need to back the trailer.

So if I had the money for whatever Studebaker I wanted, which would I get? That's a toughie. Probably either a '56 President or a '57 Packard Towne sedan. Then again, I really like ol' Bess. So, a restored '56 President Pinehurst wouldn't be so bad either.

Personally, I don't need all the silly gewgaws that come on the new cars. All I'm looking for is a good reliable car. If the money was available for the work needed, Bess would fit the bill. If the money was available for a new car, I'd still buy a restored Studebaker. It won't depreciate like a new car and it's a lot cooler ride.[8D]

It just depends on what you really need. If one needs, really needs, power steering, power brakes, GPS, power windows, and a myriad of other whizbang options. Well... go for the new car. I'll stick with the ol' girl I've got.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

62 thru 66 Cruiser. Preferably 64-thru 66. Automatic with air. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:I would reccomend a 1964 Commander 2 door SEDAN (tightest body style) or a 4 door. with a 259 2 barrel, Flight-o-Matic, and power-steering (just 'cause I like my real Studebaker's better than the '65-'66 "Chevy-bakers".

Gary, you are aware that the factory did not offer the true (pillarless) "two dooor Hard Top" in the Commander line in 1964?
                This is of particular interest to me, because I own a 1964 Daytona 2 door Hard Top and have purchased all of the NOS stainless trim and emblems to transform my Daytona HT into a (phantom) Commander Hard-Top, as even back in '64 I preferred the simple thin Commander stainless trim, over the wide aluminum moldings that were used on the more expensive Daytona and Cruiser models, and while the aluminum trim oxidises and dulls over the years, the "cheaper" stainless trim maintains its shine with minimal care.
                That's interesting. I had a '64 HT, and my choice for a "phantom" would be a '64 V8 Commander converted to Daytona trim (or a '65 Daytona with a Studebaker V8 transplant). The 2-dr. post sedan is MUCH tighter in the body with fewer leaks, squeaks, rattles and wind noise.

My all-time favorite "driver" was a '64 Cruiser, 289, FOM, A/C, P/S, disc P/B. They just don't get much better than that!

Jim Bradley
                Lewistown PA
                '78 Avanti II
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

Hello Mark, If you are up to the work you could use most any model year you fancy, also look for '65 or '66 motor mounts to convert the Studebaker to a Chevy engine. Use disc brakes with Turner conversion econo kits. The '65 pictured below was good deal with out the motor I'm going to drop in Chevy 350 and use Turner disc brake kits on all four wheels this is not cheap all though it will pay off in long run.

'65 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dick, what "repair parts" do you anticipate needing on a regular basis??? Carrying a spare fuel pump, water pump and belts is just common sense. If you need a rod or a timing gear, overnight shipping is there. But you're more likely to NEED such things with the lesser motor.[^]

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dick, what "repair parts" do you anticipate needing on a regular basis??? Carrying a spare fuel pump, water pump and belts is just common sense. If you need a rod or a timing gear, overnight shipping is there.
                      This was Mark's criteria...

" Daily transportation...18,00-20,000 miles per year...And keeping in mind the availability of service parts and ease of doing most of the maintenance yourself."

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but I do believe Chevy parts are less expensive than Studebaker parts, and that more auto parts stores carry Chevy parts than Studebaker parts.

If it was different criteria (favorite Studebaker, the ONLY Studebaker you can own, etc.) my choice would probably be different. A '65-66 is not my favorite Studebaker and I've never owned one. It just fit Mark's criteria best (for me).

Also I assumed Mark meant stock production Studebaker (but I could be wrong about that).

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

Since you like the chevy engines and earlier body style for daily transportation, does this mean you will keep the 63 Daytona for your daily transportation?
                        The color is nice and perfect for your daily driving[]

James

The Bell Collection
                        Bellingham, WA.
                        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

Dick,

Since you like the chevy engines and earlier body style for daily transportation, does this mean you will keep the 63 Daytona for your daily transportation?
                          The color is nice and perfect for your daily driving[]

Maybe. I also have a '62 Lark 2 door HT (V8-Auto)that would serve the same purpose. I'd like to keep them all, but I don't have enough barns

BTW, I have your K interior stainless and can bring it by when it is convenient for you.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Also I assumed Mark meant stock production Studebaker (but I could be wrong about that).

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            You assumed correctly Dick! I have owned '62, '63 and '65 "Lark" type cars in the past, but confess I have never driven a 56-58 sedan/wagon before. [B)] I am thinking I'll have to try one out.

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island

</h5>
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
                              I have never driven a 56-58 sedan/wagon before. [B)] I am thinking I'll have to try one out. Mark
                              I might know someone who can help you out with that problem Mark.

Just be sure to be in Wenatchee and not Yakima in June... [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                                I might know someone who can help you out with that problem Mark.

Just be sure to be in Wenatchee and not Yakima in June... [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                                I'll be there![] (in Wenatchee that is). [:I]

<h5>Mark
                                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                                Vancouver Island

</h5>
                                Mark Hayden
                                '66 Commander
                                Zone Coordinator