Info. needed on Grandpa's Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info. needed on Grandpa's Stude

This is my 1st post (on any forum!) on this site. I'd like some information on how to find out more about a 1946 Stude farm truck. It was bought by my Grandfather, used for wheat farming in Colorado, has a tilt bed (flat bed) and it is BIG. It has never been stored outside and I have had it for several years. I'm thinking he might be needing a new home because we will never do him justice and fix him up. As far as I know, the 'tilt' still works and I know he runs and we have used him a few time around the neighborhood a few times. He has not been out of the pole barn for a couple of years now....Any advice? THANKS!!

Try to post a picture. Just follow the directions. Your truck should have a serial number on it to tell us what type of truck you have. I'm not a truck owner, but many here are, but I've read that some have the serial number (VIN) on the lower side of the seat. There is a whole group dedicated to your type of truck in the SDC, they should be able to help...Frank, you out there?
    Also, this new fangled thing called eBay might help you if it's still around.

Comment

If it is a 1946 "big" truck, it is most likely an M16. They were made from 1941-1948 (except the war years) and looked pretty much the same for the whole production run.

Like Dave says, the data plate should be on the seat riser on the driver's side. Open the driver's door, look down at the seat riser, and you should see the data plate. Post all the numbers and a few pictures if you can. Send the pictures to me to post if you can't figure it out ddstnkmp@yahoo.com

It probably looks something like this...

The best thing you can do to preserve it is to keep driving it. Once the brakes and motor "freeze up", the death rattle has begun.

Big old trucks are hard to sell. They need a BIG garage, special tools to work on them, and they aren't very usable (low speed, rough ride, tough for most to drive). Don't expect much money for it, unfortunately. They are a neat part of history and should be worth more than they bring. Also, your potential buyers are probably going to be fairly local since it costs a lot of money to transport a big truck.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yep! That's what it looks like...the title says M1622065. I've got some older pictures of it I'll have to scan and I'll take some in the next few days but they won't do him justice since he's in the pole barn and covered with dust and dirt. While looking at the title, I see that I've had the truck since 1990. We pulled it back on a trailer from CO. to MN. with our pickup. It was a looooonnng trip across NE!!How would I find some sort of price value? I've checked e-bay occasionally and never seen one on there....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TheBiev
          How would I find some sort of price value? I've checked e-bay occasionally and never seen one on there....
          It will be tough to find some "source" to give you a value. Here's my guestimate...

If it runs and drives and is in "average" condition (some rust, some dents, some mechanical work needed, mostly all there, not cut up any, tires hold air) I'd say $1500.

If it is better than average condition (no rust, no or few dents, very complete, little or no mechanical work needed, maybe a repaint sometime in the past, usable non rotted tires) maybe $2500.

If it is extremely nice. Very low miles (less than 20,000), no rust, nice body and paint. Nice interior. Everything works, new tires...maybe $4-5k.

Those are just my guesses and you may find others with very different guesses.

When you have some pics of the truck cleaned up, #'s off the data plate, a good description you might post back here and on the Studebaker Truck Talk page for more input...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

There aren't any trucks like yours in the Turning Wheels club magazine, but here's a link to the page here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/classifiedads.asp

We'd love to have you as a SDC member since you've had them happily in your family and now you're a legacy. The dues are only $19.95 for the first year and you get to advertise in the magazine and find members throughout the world who will see it. You can also find parts vendors and other members whom may help you get it running and working for a decent sale. That link page is:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/aboutsdc.asp

Good luck..wash it up and let's see it!

Comment

Working...
            X