Packard Hawk Project - Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Project - Frame

I have a spare PH project car. The body has been blocked and is in primer, and the supercharged motor has been professionally rebuilt and is ready to install. The car is complete, with the motor, upholstery (needs reupholstering)and trim off/out.

Unfortunately, the frame is currently "soggy". (boxes OK, doors close nicely)

Should I:

(1) attempt to repair original frame (or have pro do it)
    (2) replace frame with good 55-58 V-8 frame (2 piece driveshaft)(I don't have one)(thoughts on where to get one welcome)
    (3) replace frame with GT frame (1 piece driveshaft)(I have one)
    (4) sell off the car body parts and motor. (unfortunately, probably worth more as parts)
    (5) let it sit for a bit more time until I get more time to play
    (6) sell car now as a complete project.

Your thoughts? I don't particularly want to make this car into a money pit, and I don't have a lot of spare time (at his point).

Paul

Paul

Seems to me the most difficult and expensive parts have been attended to. You must like the PH a lot to go to this much effort.

If it were mine, I'd try to find a good frame. They seem to be available through the forum.

I did a body off on my 54 and I don't see a frame switch as an extremely difficult issue. It'll take time but you will have the car you are dreaming of.

I would only repair your frame if the problems were isolated to small areas.

JMHO

Bob

Comment

I assume you know that the PH orginally had a one piece drive shaft?

I agree it sounds as though you have done a lot of the "hard" stuff. You say the car is complete, does it have the hard to find PH parts? Like the fan shroud, radiator, outside arm rests, etc?

I would check into using the GT frame you have. It should work on a PH with some minor changes.

Do you have the car listed on my roster of surviving Packard Hawks?

Mike
      www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Thank you Bob & Mike for your suggestions.

Yes, this PH is one of two listed by me on your register.

I understood all 55-58 V8s were 2 piece driveshafts. I'll have to look at my other one.

Yes, I have all the tough parts except the front wheel well moldings - they are a little different from the "regular" moldings.

Rad I have, but it may have to be recored. (It cost me ~$550 to do the other PH rad in the summer.)

Do you think use of a GT frame would devalue it?

Paul

Comment

Sounds like it is just a lost cause. Just let me know and I'll come load it on my trailer and haul it off before your county writes you a citation for littering and having an abandoned car on your property. Just to show you how fair I can be, I won't even charge for the service.
          Seriously, just what do you mean by "soggy?" Have you removed the body from the frame? Some pics would help. PH's are worth the extra effort. Hang in there and good luck.

[img][/img]

John Clary
          Greer, SC
          I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

'58 was the first year for a single piece drive shaft. And I highly doubt that using a GT frame would do anything for the value, good or bad.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I agree, the GT frame would not do anything to the value of the car. Having a bad frame would be quite a negative. Yes, the drive shaft was changed for the 58 model year to a one piece. So this PH originally had a one piece drive shaft.

Mike
              www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Paul, After looking closer and realizing you are from Canada, you are much more likely to understand what "soggy" means than most of us from the southern parts of the lower 48.

John Clary
                Greer, SC
                I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My suggestion is to:
                  1. Do up a convertible for your patient, deserving wife.
                  2. Do up a car - whatever Stude she wants and would love longterm -for your beautiful daughter.
                  3. Do up an interesting project (truck?) that would bring a smile to your son's face.
                  4. Your turn. Put a rust-free GT frame under the PH if you want to sell or finish it.

Easy for me to say

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                  47 M-5
                  Izzer Buggy
                  Junior Wagon
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

On another post, Deepnhock posted a picture of a free GT frame that Skelly has. The "problem" is that the frame is in Georgia, USA and you are in Canada.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Where in Canada are you, Paul. I have at least 2 Silver Hawk parts cars here in Alberta that should have decent frames. I was under both of them at one point in time stripping parts, and did not notice any obvious rust damage to the frames. If I had, I likely would have made mental not of it, or even written "bad frame" on the roof of the car in paint marker.

Once I get home from my current work assignment, and the snow melts, I could drag one or both (there's a third car, not yet stripped) up by the shop, and examine the frame carefully.

AFAIK, the hog trough component is a separate part, but the basic frames are the same, but I could be wrong.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Your thoughts? I don't particularly want to make this car into a money pit, and I don't have a lot of spare time (at his point).
                        If the rearmost crossmember isn't rusted into oblivion, I would save it. The SSN might come up with some sandblasting, and could be transferred to the doner frame.

Craig

Comment

Thank you for your kind offers - I would want to pay a fair price if needed. Send me an email.

I pretty sure it needs a new frame because the body shop advised me that it did, AND when I went to drag it by the rear bumper, it came off along with the brackets. There is a slight chance that bigger washers and bolts might work.

I think a thread on how to identify rust damage is warranted - could be fun.

Paul

Comment

I'd go ahead and use the GT frame. There may be differences in mounts so it'd probably be easiest if you had the ability to take the body off the old frame before you started, so you could see what needed to be transferred to the good frame *before* blast, powdercoat, etc.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Ditto on the GT chassis suggestion. That is what we are using on the current K9 Hawk project, which came from the rust belt. A friend here has a nice Canadian GT which has new sub-floor boxes but has a really soggy frame- much worse than the Pack Hwk frame which was really usable with just a little work. I am on the look-out for another GT frame for my friend, and a correct radiator for my Pack Hawk, since I just sold the good one I had to a fellow who needed to fixed a wrecked car. I can pick up in SB, as well as deliver any needed parts.
                              BTW, I do have a good pair of fr. wheel well moldings in stock.

Barry'd in Studes
                              Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                              X