No announcement yet.

The little convertible that would not die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent seen an example of my reasoning to buy a car in such sad shape rather than one that was finished, but maybe I overlooked it. I bet many have had the same experience as me; where you buy a nice looking car, get it home , and then really give it the looking over, and find major flaws that were hidden by unscrupulous car flippers. That is such a huge disappointment, that one might resolve to, in the future, "Do it yourself to make sure it's right" from then on. I can SEE what a mess that lil ragtop is, so I'm confident that I'm getting what I'm paying for, but with some "restored" cars I might be spending a lot of dough only to end up tearing it apart to do it right.

Comment

Excellent point, Buddy[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That is entirely true Paul, my son Dave (StudeDave57) has over 280,000 miles on his '65 Cruiser 283 with only the second engine and it's been a great car, no question they were fine cars. As far as I know, Canada has never since, or EVER, had their OWN exclusive car!

Bricklin?
        Although it was made in Canada, Safety Vehicle Corp. was a 100% U.S. owned company with its namesake as the CEO. And even if it was a Canadian company, the engine was still from AMC or Ford.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
          I don't know how it isn't obvious, but here you go:

2. Some people actually get enjoyment- and satisfaction- out of the challenge of taking a car from basket case to show car. If you had ever done it you'd see it is a great feeling. Some of us find it to be a great stress reliever. As proof I offer Ken Glowacky's comment above: "Condition is not a factor. In fact the above is the desirable condition, I like a challenge."

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

[/quote]If we were in it for anything but the joy we get from it (and the addtiction we aquire along the way). There wouldn't be much two it. This ain't wall street this is knuckle butin, fool hardy fun. Car nuts doing what car nuts do, if i had the mony i've thrown at old cars, new cars, and race cars, i'd be sitting in a mansion by the bay watching girls wiggle by. Instead i'm in a garage dreaming about a girl on a creeper under a Golden Hawk. It ain't supposed to make sense. It just what we do. And foolish or not there are some great cars that come out of playing with our toys.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd

2. Some people actually get enjoyment- and satisfaction- out of the challenge of taking a car from basket case to show car. If you had ever done it you'd see it is a great feeling. Some of us find it to be a great stress reliever. As proof I offer Ken Glowacky's comment above: "Condition is not a factor. In fact the above is the desirable condition, I like a challenge."
            About a year and a half ago, BP e-mailed me (and several others here) a link to Cuda-world. The online issue that month profiled a severely crushed '71 Cuda, a rare and desirable car that got fully restored. The link has since been deleted, and I didn't save any of the before and after images of it. Perhaps BP or someone else did, and can post them here. It shows if one was able to restore that poor Cuda, no Studebaker would be impossible to restore, including this Lark.

Craig.

Comment

Just heard from the owner of the poor Lark. NO TITLE but a VIN # in the door jam.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
              Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd
                It ain't supposed to make sense. It just what we do.
                Quote of the week! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Who ever fixed up my message thank you, was it you Bob Palma? if so thanks next month when Dick is down we will be getting together and I can learn more, thanks again....Bob Peterson
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X