No announcement yet.

The little convertible that would not die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly, the May 2009 Hemmings Classic Car arrived in today's mail. It is devoted to do-it-yourself restorations(!) and features photos and reports from 34 different readers who have projects underway. None are finished; all photos are "under construction" to encourage people who might be considering tackling a car such as this '60 Lark convertible.

Hemmings' Editor Richard Lentinello devotes his Editorial to extolling the virtues of hobbyist restorations. He said they got over 125 submissions from the cattle call looking for owner-restoration reports and photos.

In another article, Patrick Foster tackles the topic of why Studebaker went out of business. It's accurate enough, except that he repeats the oft-made mistake of stating that President Abraham Lincoln rode around in a Studebaker carriage.[:0][V] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Everything stated in a previous posters post which quotes something I said in a thread about the convertible is absolutely correct and goes without saying. That's why I didn't say it. DUH! I wasn't born yesterday and have done my share of fixeruppers. I am not new to the collector, special interest car scene. The following read may be of interest to someone new or not well acquainted with Studebakers of the 50's-60's and possibly others or brand x's. I wish that this info had been made available to me way back as I would have avoided a great deal of time and money lost not to mention some frustrating situations.++++++++++ There may be more to think about other than self glorification and frugality when one considers and ultimately decides on resurrecting a rusty, mechanical nightmare of a project. Folks, x-cuse the description. I meant "Dream Machine"vs. a fine original or restored example. Hind sight is 20-20. Yes, some enjoy the challenge, especially if they are themselves capable of conquering, or else have a fat wallet for purchasing nice bolt on replacement parts, or paying for services to individual parts and sort of more or less act as a contractor of services.{restorers I think not}. There are those who actually do absolutely everything but chrome work and whatever have you. {My hat's off to these folks.} Nothing like a bankroll to help show your talents, or somebody else's though. Someone may or may not give a hoot. Some are also incapable of overcoming a restoration challenge. Who cares. Is it the measure of a man to successfully restore a car? No. Still someone will not give a hoot. If you want to spend less time in a bar, which may be a good thing, less time with your wife, unless she is as obsessed as you are so you might as well hire her on as a gofer, less time with your kids,grandchildren, are sick and tired of making craft items, got no life, going to bingo, mother in laws or just want to begin learning a trade in hopes of future employment, get going. Go for it. Restore that car. Perhaps you're the type of person not able to bear owning a fleet of Studebakers or whatever that weren't rescued {from the tin worms} or rescued {for the tin worms|. You just may be a redneck. Here's a good one. Want to read and post less on the forum? Get this. A 10,000$ loan,over a 5 year plan, if one can get it, will cost less than 200.$ per month and your're sure able to buy a nice clean Stude for half that or less. Trust me. An antique only car loan is gettable if the lender holds the title. There are Antique, special interest auto loan companies out there . It may have 4 doors but you won't be dismissed because of ownership. Just think,a turn key unit and you're likely to drive it to the weekend cruise immediately after plates and insurance. Just remember, this little insignificant piece of information. You are not guaranteed a profit upon resale but if you choose carefully you can't loose. When shopping, take an informed person along with you. If you are buying a known to be project or an ascerted really good car. Ask questions. If you do decide on a project, remember. You'll have the initial cost of car plus payments while you can't drive it. If you can afford only junk right now, maybe you would be better to refrain from buying and start saving for the right one to come along. There are always going to be more Studebakers for sale than the market is willing to provide homes for. Nice cars and not nice money pits. I follow e-bay sales closely and can attest to the fact that most really nice Studebakers that sell there are purchased cheaper than fixing up a like one in ragged shape. Pros and Cons Restore or buy? Not for everybody either way. Money wise, when it all washes out. it's a no brainer. I am just as proud of my Hawk had I done it myself. I had the good fortune of buying a nice low mileage survivor. The one that I did do ,I am proud of it also as the new owner told some folks that he had restored it over one winter season. Funny, It was in pieces in my garage for a total of about 15 years. Lots and l
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That is entirely true Paul, my son Dave (StudeDave57) has over 280,000 miles on his '65 Cruiser 283 with only the second engine and it's been a great car, no question they were fine cars. As far as I know, Canada has never since, or EVER, had their OWN exclusive car!

Bricklin?

Comment

jimmijim, WOW calm down, we are bouncing idea's back and forth. One reason someone may want this car at a low price is because they are going to build a custom and do not want to cut up a good $6500.00 car, such as yours. They are only going to use the title and body. The frame, drivetrain, interior will be custom. So for lets say $500 you get a title, a conv. body that no one else wants and will put one more Stude back on the road. I have restored more then 10 cars in my life and I agree it is cheaper to buy then build but all of my cars are sold within a year after completion as I enjoy the building not the driving. I believe it keeps my mind sharpe and keeps me young. It is a 50/50 chance I will get all my money back. My father used to say that why they make different flavors of Ice Cream, everyone has different taste.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Ken, not upset and only posted so as to offer some concise 2 sided information on a subject that everybody may not be aware of. Someone that knows me not, or else should know better, felt compelled to use something I said as in "quote" in a posting he made which inferred that I was above, or ignorant to the facts as to why someone wants to restore junk for more $$ than a nice specimine's market price. "Duh! No chit Sherlock. Is that the only reasoning why cars are restored" Disregard the previous quoted message Ken. Someone who knows better has too much time on his hands. Not part of our conversation I don't have a 6500.00 car. You might be confused with a convertible car that was bid up to that amount but did not make reserve. Belongs to Bob Peterson. 62 convertible. I am afraid his car is worth much more . jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Comment

jimjim, All is OK I repspect your opinion. In general I bet 85% of all projects are never finished. Sorry about the $6500 comment got confused.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:There are those who actually do absolutely everything but chrome work and whatever have you.
                  Jeepers jimmijim8. I've done five total restorations, including doing my own chrome work. On all those cars the only thing I paid someone else to do was some sewing on one car.

It's got nothing to do with money - at least not for me, and I suspect for many others too.

Part of it is just as an enjoyable hobby - someone else might spend their time drowning worms, or chasing a little white ball. Different strokes.

Part of it is because I want to know I can jump in a car I've restored, and head for California with no worries, because I know every nut and bolt is right. Part of it is nostalgia. Part of it is...soul.

I could have bought all of those cars in decent condition for less than I spent, even doing everything myself.

I have since sold four of them for what I was out of pocket, and glad to get it.

Nobody, but nobody, owns and drives a Studebaker or any other fifty year car because it's the fastest, or most reliable or a good investment.

I don't "get" golf. My golfing friends don't "get" grease and skinned knuckles.

Comment

I wrote a long response, and when I hit "post" it disappeared... so I guess I'll just go back to the subject of the car itself, even if that makes me "illogical". My apologies to thse who just cannot understand the idea of preserving cars that havent been built for 40 plus years- that's your cross to bear[|)]

I wrote the seller and told him he might want to add that everything this car would need is readily available, and at good prices. I also mentioned that his price was too high.

If he lowers the starting price and nobody bids, I will!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

This sure has been taken around the block a few times, with me living on the west coast but being from Minnesota growing up I know a little about both as far as rust and junk bodies, when I first posted about someone being nuts to want to do one with so much rust and all, it was just a statement and nothing personal, how many of use out there is Studebaker land has a patch on is or hers jacket that says "Studebaker Nut"???? I know I do and also one on my grandsons jacket,so enough said about the word nut. I was a little up set with the out come on the auction of the 62 Daytona but also know we are in hard times and hard times brings out the true Studebaker person still wanting to take on a project, I also know there are some Studebakers that should just not be scrapped, and any convert. is one of them. People that know me know I go out of my way to save and try to get parts in to the right hands of people needing them, also every one can have their own opinion on any subject with out it being personal. This forum is a good place to voice your opinion so lets keep it not personal and get in others face, thanks guys and gals..Bob Peterson from California.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Sorry about the post just before this one, some how my computer went nuts and printed my message more than once, I am still learning how to use this thing besides on E-Bay..I don't want some one taking off on this as a subject to beat to death, thanks and again I am sorry this happened......Bob Peterson
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Sorry about the post just before this one, some how my computer went nuts and printed my message more than once, I am still learning how to use this thing besides on E-Bay..I don't want some one taking off on this as a subject to beat to death, thanks and again I am sorry this happened......Bob Peterson
                          Bob: It's easy to remove the extra material.

Click on the little "pencil & paper" icon above your post. Your post will reappear for you to edit or delete at will.

Delete all the duplicate material and anything else you don't want to appear. Then click on the box below the text that says, "Post Changes."

Presto; extra material will have been removed. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I just thought Bob had the hiccups!

Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1958 Commander "Christine"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Keep the personal stuff out or I'll have to lock or delete this.

BShaw, Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                              Woodbury, Minnesota
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                                As far as I know, Canada has never since, or EVER, had their OWN exclusive car!
                                The ONLY indigenous Canadian automobile manufacturer was Russell Motor Car which was made from 1905 to 1914. It built its own version of the Knight sleeve-valve engine, bodies, and most other chassis components. As you mentioned, anything else built in Canada was either a branch plant of a US firm, or an 'assembled' vehicle made from proprietary components.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X