62 GT TOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT TOP

I look at a 62 hawk today for sale it as a vinel top there is rust out under top. A body man said it would be best to replace the metal top if i could find a good one. Does anyone know of one. Doug M

Best to find another GT Hawk in my opinion.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Trust me, unless you are very attached to said car, or its a very valuable car (probably not if its a 62), don't try repairing the roof. Its not worth it.

Comment

Post some pics of the rust.

Comment

Thanks for reply . Thring to see if it was worth buying the motor,tran,brakes and exaust was all rebuilt in past not driven sence. Did not start today had no camra . was comming from funaral wondering on what it was worth? Some rust in drivers floor above rocker.

Comment

Are you sure the body man said {replace the metal roof}? Maybe he meant, replace the vinyl covering. I've never seen a metal roof that needed replaced.
            Not lately,but any condition I suppose can be possible.
            I had a 63 that had holes rusted thru the roof underneath the sail panel aluminum trim caused by water seeping past the rear 1/4 window roof stainless and cat whisker channel assembly. {huh? you say}You might have to read the description more slowly and use your imagination. Can you post a photo? I'd like to see the rest of the car. jimmijim {opinions are like arsholes, everybody's got one}
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

We are cutting the entire top off a '62 GT Hawk in Savannah on Sunday.. You can have it if you want it....(If Pat will part with it)
              It has rust at the base of the two rear pillars, but is otherwise decent...
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Doug M

I look at a 62 hawk today for sale it as a vinel top there is rust out under top. A body man said it would be best to replace the metal top if i could find a good one. Does anyone know of one. Doug M
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes the roof skin he said would be easer then patching each hole.
                Thanks jeff I have not got car yet trying to deside if it is worth buying and at what price. Pat emiled me last night.I will get back with you later. My brother lives in Savanna . Doug M

Comment

Did any 62s come with vinyl roofs? I thought they came later.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's really not that hard for someone with knowledge to change a top, or even just the skin. Depends mostly on the area of the joint.

How about more info and pictures?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I don't believe that any '62 came with a factory vinyl roof, that could easily be part of the problem. I would not recommend reinstalling one.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

It's really not that hard for someone with knowledge to change a top, or even just the skin. Depends mostly on the area of the joint.

How about more info and pictures?

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (

Not that hard, but budget 2-3K for the job before paint. The headliner and glass installation alone will cost you a grand.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Not that hard, but budget 2-3K for the job before paint. The headliner and glass installation alone will cost you a grand.
                          You might be right. Probably depends on area. But I wasn't thinking anywhere near that. Here's what I thought:

1. Owner pulls seats/carpet/headliner, front and rear glass, trim in affected area. Mask off dash, a pad first, then a durable cover.

2. Deliver to shop with replacement roof. Can be R&Red in 5 hours, give or take, depending on shop/tech competence.

3. Owner picks up car, installs trim/headliner/glass, or hire above done. New headliner about $200 or so?

4. Owner installs seats and carpet. Paint top or hire it done; or, vinyl top needs no paint under.

Certainly there are plenty of variables, the biggest being the owner's ability/willingness to do most of the work. If one drives the complete car in and picks it up ready to enjoy, that can run into considerable money; but this is one of those jobs where the majority of the work requires more effort than skill.

In the end, the overriding decider will be the condition of the rest of the car, and price for same. Of course, pictures of the rust would be helpful- it may actually be repairable without all the above.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I agree, post pictures.

The body shop knows it's much less expensive to replace the top than repair a couple of bad areas.

But 18 ga sheet is about $44/ 4x8 sheet and an owner with a MIG/TIG could replace a lot of metal cheap. Prep would be about the same.

The killer would be if the header over the windshield was badly rusted. Then the repair becomes more difficult but not impossible.

If you try it yourself, what's the down side. You can always replace the roof as you initially planned.

And (Ducking under desk)[)][)], It would be a good time for a gentleman's chop.[^]

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Are you sure the body man said {replace the metal roof}? Maybe he meant, replace the vinyl covering. I've never seen a metal roof that needed replaced.
                              Jim- I found out that this is the bugaboo of CA cars.

I was told for years how desirable it was to pursue CA cars- they're so rust free. What I didn't realize with all this rhetoric was that while there may be less lower rust, chances are it will have plenty of upper rust, like tops of doors... and the ROOF[}] MUCH harder to fix than floors and fenders[xx(] And as a bonus, the sun totally fries interiors and weather strip; so there's the added benefit of water leaking in and rusting the floors anyway Top that off with the seller who frequently underestimates/is not aware of the rust extent, and CA cars, while they certainly can be much more solid, are frequently not all they're cracked up to be[B)]

Maybe the subject car is from CA...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X