Why I hate power windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I hate power windows

The new, sorta cheap Avanti is now running,and driving, but both power windows are dead after sitting a few years. I bet a beer that the motors will be a rusted mass, and I'll be out $350 for a new pair. Always budget a few hundred in repairs for a power window Avanti.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Better that than having to rebuild the insides of the doors with balsa wood and 'glass resin due to functional motors but jammed windows...

nate

(trying to help you look on the bright side)

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Power window motors, power wiper motors, etc., are not much different than a starter motor. A good cleaning, lubricating and a cleaning of the window tracks and guides can do wonders for most power window problems.

When I was 18, I bought a '67 Chrysler 300 with just the front windows operating. I pulled all four motors, pulled them apart and found one that was crumbling apart. I found a used replacement, cleaned them all, lubricated the bushings and tracks and they worked great. They worked so well that I was worried the glass would break from how fast they moved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

A friend who lives near me has an AMC Rebel convertible. All the power window motors are shot in it. And they are not readily repairable; they are mounted in such a way that water finds its way into the motor housing, rusts the steel and swells the housing until it's distorted beyond any repair.

These look to be almost exactly the same motor as used in the Avanti, except perhaps for the wiring pigtail.

I got one of Ken's rusted motors and went to Princess Auto, and found a new surplus motor that is very close, and made up a litle adaptor plate and bushing to fit it to the AMC window regulator. It looks like it ought to work, but he's never tried it yet.

But if I had an Avanti, I think I'd simply buy motors from Stude International. An Avanti deserves to be done right, and really, the motors from SI are probably quite competitive, pricewise, with new window motors for many current Brand X models.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well, the good news is the drivers side motor is fine. just needed a nudge to get going, but the regulators were dry. I took everything out of the door and cleaned and lubed it. I'll put it back together when I get back from Atlantic City. Of course the switches don't work in both directions, so I'll need to clean them too.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Those motors can be rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt locally here in Maryland...cost $40 each for the service. That was two years ago, so don't know what the current cost might be.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Those motors can be rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt locally here in Maryland...cost $40 each for the service. That was two years ago, so don't know what the current cost might be.

Sometimes they can, but the really bad ones are rusted out.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

John, arent they the same as what Ford used in that time period? Its been 15 years since I did my Avanti, but something in the back of my mind tells me there was a Ford part number on one. I do remember that the switches themselves were the same shape as a 57 T-bird, but a different color (bezels were the same).

60 Lark convertible
                61 Champ
                62 Daytona convertible
                63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2)
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Has anyone found a source for the plastic insert gears and rollers inside the PW gear housings. Mine are eaten up and broken but the motors themselves work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated: "bob.lyle@att.net" Another cancer survivor. . .Me and my Avanti!

Comment

Originally posted by boblyle View Post
                    Has anyone found a source for the plastic insert gears and rollers inside the PW gear housings. Mine are eaten up and broken but the motors themselves work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated: "bob.lyle@att.net" Another cancer survivor. . .Me and my Avanti!

Bob, what year Avanti ? I may have the parts unless it's a II. Didn't I sell you a Avanti II ?
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Knock on wood, but that's one thing that works very well on my car, and I love 'em. It was not without problems getting them to operate correctly though. My brother removed both motors and refurbed them. He also replaced the motor and relay wiring with heavier gauge. And I needed a replacement switch on the passenger side. But I would NEVER go more than 3 weeks without exercising them.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      The new, sorta cheap Avanti is now running,and driving, but both power windows are dead after sitting a few years. I bet a beer that the motors will be a rusted mass, and I'll be out $350 for a new pair. Always budget a few hundred in repairs for a power window Avanti.

JDP/Maryland
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

I had a 1998 GM Astro Van. The power windows were a curse.

Both windows went, dealer wanted $800 plus to repair. Bought some used motors for $50 each time and installed, but door panel clips could only be used once, so new clips for door panels had to be bought.

The upright window switches collected rain if the door was left open, so the switches also had to be cleaned and sprayed with contact cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                        X