Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by qsanford View Post
    I wonder if he still has the NOS interior? Might help with sale.
    Thanks. I had forgotten about that remark. Finding it will be the problem.

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    I wonder if he still has the NOS interior? Might help with sale.
    Originally posted by 53k View Post
    This black '64 Cruiser is a broadcloth interior model. He bought a NOS broadcloth interior for it years ago for its restoration.

Torrey does have some nice cars in his buildings. And, he has sold some of his more precious ones in the past several years (like a full package '64 Super Lark R-2 Daytona hardtop). That car was sold new at Porterfield Studebaker in Martinsburg, WV and he wanted it to stay in the same town so he sold it to the son of the former Studebaker dealer. It is in the last stages of a good restoration.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
    Wherever they are, it's BAD! [xx(]
    Near Martinsburg WV, Rich. There are worse climates, believe it or not, but having cars sit on bare ground to sink in up to the frames is indeed bad news. BP
    What Bob said plus... Most cars that were sold in towns like Martinsburg, a comfortable distance from the DC-Baltimore metro areas, didn't rust much if at all. They didn't use much if any salt on the roads in rural areas then, but many of Torrey's cars lived their functional lives in DC or Baltimore so they have the usual city salt rust (but not as bad as extreme northern states where a LOT of snow is experienced or salt air locations like Hawaii).
    You guys in Oregon and Washington had far more snow this year than we had (not quite two inches total for the winter).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Near Martinsburg WV, Rich. There are worse climates, believe it or not, but having cars sit on bare ground to sink in up to the frames is indeed bad news. BP

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I think one of Mr. Kirby's problems is, he lives in the WRONG climate!
    If they were in: Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Eastern Washington, Oregon and non-coastal parts of Calif. they would be restorable!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    After looking at the pics before work I had all day to mull it over.
    This may be the best example of what not to do.For the crowd that hollers
    "Save every Stude" this is what can happen.
    Desirable cars that coulda/shoulda been sold off years ago.
    I've bought collections like this in the past and it's always
    the same.Good intentions but ran out of time/money/desire.
    Cars like the '57 Packard wagon bought 40+ years ago and left sitting?
    My guess is there were offers over the years that were declined.
    I'm trying not to criticize Mr.Kirby...I've held onto cars as well that should
    have been moved into someone elses hands before they rotted in mine so I
    know how it goes.
    The cars may have been saved when bought but while a percentage would have been
    used up and scrapped a good portion would have had the chance to be taken care
    of and might today be on the road.Saving Studes is a good thing buy relegating
    them to a slow death...it's the same as parking them in a salvage yard that never opens.I hope there is a happy ending to all these.

Leave a comment:

• tutone63
    replied
    I shouldn't have looked...

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Wow, TWO '58 Packard hardtops! For such a low-production car, those body style has a pretty amazing survival rate.
    Actually, he has three '58 Packard hardtops. The picture of a tree growing through the rear quarter panel is also a Packard. See images 28 and 29.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Did I just see a 57 Packard Station Wagon?
    Yes. He has both a '57 Packard wagon and a sedan. Both were bought in the early 60s as family transportation vehicles. I think the wagon was converted to a four-barrel and the blower isn't on the sedan, but he has it somewhere. He said he found out from the PO that the wagon supercharger was in the back when it was traded in on a new Dodge in '61. The Dodge dealer had thrown it away, but their trash pick-up hadn't been made so they were able to find the s/c in the trash bin. The upholstery in the wagon was re-done years ago in vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• 58PackardWagon
    replied
    Did I just see a 57 Packard Station Wagon?

57 & 58 Packards
    62 Daytona
    63 R2 Lark

Leave a comment:

• 58PackardWagon
    replied
    The rear fenders and the floors on the Packards go so quickly when left outside.

57 & 58 Packards
    62 Daytona
    63 R2 Lark

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Wow, TWO '58 Packard hardtops! For such a low-production car, those body style has a pretty amazing survival rate.

I think these things are just beautiful. My goal is to own one, one day.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Thanks for the pictures! I always love to look at pictures of yards[^] That Lark in picture #10 looks like it's ticked off that it's been left to stare at that Kaiser instead of on the road

Boy, I'd love to have that '61 Lark[] See if he'll let it go

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by jbrotten

It is sad to think that most of these were driven to where they are now parked.
    The GT Hawk looks like it might be pretty solid, and that 4-Dr '61 Lark definately looks good, and since it has a Texas license plate it could be rust-free.
    Thanks for reminding me. That Autumn Haze '61 Cruiser was virtually rust free. It is a 259 with overdrive. However, the engine is stuck.

I think that is one of his "restore some day" cars, but you never know. I was tempted to test him on that because my first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze.
    The dash pad is really shot as is the upholstery, especially the top of the rear seat back. And, unfortunately, one tallight lens is gone and the other isn't very good.

Leave a comment:

• jbrotten
    replied
    It is sad to think that most of these were driven to where they are now parked.
    The GT Hawk looks like it might be pretty solid, and that 4-Dr '61 Lark definately looks good, and since it has a Texas license plate it could be rust-free.
    Thanks for posting these photo's, they are interesting.

Jim B
    Snohomish,Wa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X