Torrey Kirby diesel Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrey Kirby diesel Lark

There has been some discussion before about diesel Larks. Today I was at Torrey's and took these pix of his diesel ('63 two-door, automatic transmission, four-cylinder 64 hp Perkins diesel). It was assigned a six-cylinder body number. Torrey thinks there were six two-door sedans built, 10 station wagons and an unknown number of taxis. They were all assigned six-cylinder numbers.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Being that I love Larks and diesels, I have long dreamed of having that car...[][:X][^] Maybe someday I'll at least get a chance for a ride in it...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If it had a turbo. That would be one cool car.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

With the price of fuel, it would make a great commuter! [^]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Pretty cool stuff! It'd be cool to see a TW piece on this car.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I would venture a guess that they used HD V8 springs in the front end??

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28

59 Lark
            etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

I would venture a guess that they used HD V8 springs in the front end??
              I don't know about that, but it did have the HD Flightomatic with water cooling.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul; Thanks for sharing. I remember the first time I saw this car at a White Post meet back in the 80's. I couldn't believe what was in front of me. WOW!! What a odd-ball, but I loved it. It was a thrill to watch it leave the grounds.[^][^]

The only light truck to receive a diesel during the same period was an experimental ZIP VAN (serial # E5-FC-1711). However, rather than using the Perkins diesel engine, as used in the cars, Studebaker chose to use a Cerlist diesel in the ZIP VAN. The Perkins was a 4 cylinder, I believe, and the Cerlist was a 3 cylinder engine. I've never heard an explanation why two unlike diesels. Any comments[?]

Frank Drumheller
                Louisa, VA
                60S-W6
                '48 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Paul (or anyone), has Kirby ever made any claim as to what sort of mileage can be had with this car???

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Paul (or anyone), has Kirby ever made any claim as to what sort of mileage can be had with this car???
                    I have wondered about that myself. I'll try to ask him as soon as I can reach him again (he was leaving soon to go to South Carolina to visit his daughter).
                    The Perkins is basically a tractor engine. Many Massey-Ferguson parts apply.

Comment

Back when I was just a dumb kid I found a '63 4dr. Lark in one of the local junk yards. Pretty rusty, ugly plain interior and an equally ugly black paint job. Underneath which was it's origonal yellow paint. I managed to pry the hood open only to find a Perkins diesel. Now who in the world would want to get rid of a good Stude motor and put in a diesel??? Well later on, when I found out about Studebakers Diesel Lark Program, I went back looking for that sorry car. The only thing the old man at the yard could remember was that it was bought by a farmer from Michigan because he needed a replacement motor for His Massey Ferguson tractor.
                      By the way, all the Diesel Larks started life as 6 cyl.HD sedans or Taxis.

R2Andy
                      R2Andrea

Comment

Torey is a super cool guy, my wife and I(befre we were married) got the tour of his stuff, after meeting him at a meet in Martinsburg...(was a most memorable stude meet for me, I met Ted Harbit that day, and just happened to have my Hot Rod Magazine with me that had a feature on him, I had him sign it and when I unpack it(moving grrrr) I plan on putting it beside my stude stock certs on my LR wall!)

hmmm, my Wife has 2 GT Hawks, and a 58 Silver Hawk(but whats hers is mine NOW, LOL)...But I still want my Daytona!

Comment

Anyone know the VIN for this car?

R2Andy
                          R2Andrea

Comment

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

Torey is a super cool guy, my wife and I(befre we were married) got the tour of his stuff, after meeting him at a meet in Martinsburg...(was a most memorable stude meet for me, I met Ted Harbit that day, and just happened to have my Hot Rod Magazine with me that had a feature on him, I had him sign it and when I unpack it(moving grrrr) I plan on putting it beside my stude stock certs on my LR wall!)
                            We were very lucky to get Ted and and his lovely wife to our meet. It was a pretty long trip in the big car hauler. They are both the most gracious, modest people you'll ever meet. Chicken Hawk was a BIG draw- attracted people off the street who didn't even know what a Studebaker was. We can thank our member Ron Butts for getting them there.

Comment

R2ANDY--Petras????

Comment

Working...
                              X