Torrey Kirby diesel Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by R2Andy

Back when I was just a dumb kid I found a '63 4dr. Lark in one of the local junk yards. Pretty rusty, ugly plain interior and an equally ugly black paint job. Underneath which was it's origonal yellow paint. I managed to pry the hood open only to find a Perkins diesel. Now who in the world would want to get rid of a good Stude motor and put in a diesel??? Well later on, when I found out about Studebakers Diesel Lark Program, I went back looking for that sorry car. The only thing the old man at the yard could remember was that it was bought by a farmer from Michigan because he needed a replacement motor for His Massey Ferguson tractor.
    By the way, all the Diesel Larks started life as 6 cyl.HD sedans or Taxis.

R2Andy
    "Back when I was just a dumb kid I found a '63 4dr. Lark in one of the local junk yards.... Now who in the world would want to get rid of a good Stude motor and put in a diesel??? Well later on, when I found out about Studebakers Diesel Lark Program, I went back looking for that sorry car. The only thing the old man...could remember was that it was bought by a farmer"( yay, that means it wasn't crushed!)"...because he needed a replacement motor for His Massey Ferguson tractor."([xx(][B)] Now I feel sick...)

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

ChampTrucking - Um... might be. Why do you ask? And more importantly, do you owe me er... him any money?
      Tutone63 I seriously doubt that car survived long after the engine was pulled. It had major rust problems then. After being fork lifted or dragged on to a trailer to be hauled to Michigan and then dismantled, it wouldn't have been long for this world. At best it crumbled into the ground along a fence row some where.

R2Andy
      R2Andrea

Comment

I know, hence the "[xx(][B)]now I feel sick" part

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

You owe ME money!!!!! Shall I send my the CLIQUE MOB to collect??!!?? HEE HEE! Still wondering?No names here,but... WHO gave you a 6 cylinder out of a 61 Lark?? There is your clue!

Comment

I, er, he owes you money? I think you must have the wrong guy. But I'll bring that up if I ever run across him, R.D. is it? LOL. And what is this Mob talk? Clique Mob? Sounds like a bunch of old geezers with bad joints.

R2Andy
            R2Andrea

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Paul (or anyone), has Kirby ever made any claim as to what sort of mileage can be had with this car???
              I talked to Torrey today and I posed the mileage question to him. He said it had been a long time since he had measured it, but he thought it ran abour 28 mpg.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

does anyone know what the fate of the diesel lark will be now ??? RIP Torrey
                Last edited by loc8tor; 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I'll bet the performance on this thing would make a champion motor look like a HOTROD.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by loc8tor View Post
                    does anyone know what the fate of the diesel lark will be now ??? RIP Torrey
                    The only daughter has been slated to get the diesel for a long time. There has never been any thought of it leaving the family. However, the son-in-law hinted to me that he would be in favor of selling it if they could get enough money. He even checked with a local auctioneer where they live (South Carolina) and the auctioneer told him he doubted that he could get more than $10 to $15k for it (and that wasn't his idea of "enough money").
                    When I last saw it run (last fall), it was not running well at all- left a heavy cloud of black smoke as he drove off. Supposedly they couldn't find anyone close who could work on it. However, I took my truck in to a truck and farm equipment shop the other day for an inspection (about 15 miles from Kirby's). I casually asked him if he could work on a Perkins. He assured me that it was no problem to work on them. In fact, Perkins were used in some Massey-Ferguson tractors. He went on to ask if the smoke was white, blue or black and then described what the problems likely were for each color.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Last summer at Gettysburg:

Comment

Well, it sounds like the first step is to get the car to that diesel mechanic for a look see, then decide what to do. Modern diesels have turbos, I wonder whether it would be possible to add one to this, then again it's a one only I think, haven't heard of any other diesel cars surviving, so stock may be best for historical reasons.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If it were mine it would be in a museum.....

Comment

Working...
                          X