Pulling a Lark Transmission... JOY JOY JOY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling a Lark Transmission... JOY JOY JOY

I can't remember the last time I had to pull a tranny out of a Lark. I perused the shop manual several times to get psyched up. I used 4 jack stands and secondary measures, ( a couple of tires/rims stacked front and rear ) and kept the floor jacks in place as a 3rd measure. I was not prepared for the tedium involved in getting that beast out of the car. UGH. That crossmember took longer to get out than the trans. I suppose the worst part of the dealio is that all this is just to change out the ring gear. I can't help but reflect on helping a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. We were changing the trans out in his 69 El Camino. We had that trans out, in, out and back in, in about 4 hours. That double tap was due to getting the wrong torque converter installed. That included a trip to the parts store, too. The Lark, on the other hand has been an exercise in patience. I'm not upset so much about the time its taking, its just that its taking so much time.

sals54
    sals54

"I'm not upset so much about the time its taking, its just that its taking so much time."
    Hmmm. I think I know what you mean.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

I can't remember the last time I had to pull a tranny out of a Lark. I perused the shop manual several times to get psyched up. I used 4 jack stands and secondary measures, ( a couple of tires/rims stacked front and rear ) and kept the floor jacks in place as a 3rd measure. I was not prepared for the tedium involved in getting that beast out of the car. UGH. That crossmember took longer to get out than the trans. I suppose the worst part of the dealio is that all this is just to change out the ring gear. I can't help but reflect on helping a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. We were changing the trans out in his 69 El Camino. We had that trans out, in, out and back in, in about 4 hours. That double tap was due to getting the wrong torque converter installed. That included a trip to the parts store, too. The Lark, on the other hand has been an exercise in patience. I'm not upset so much about the time its taking, its just that its taking so much time.
      Try getting an overdrive out of a X-frame body[V].

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

"Try getting an overdrive out of a X-frame body."

Done that. After returning from the Boomtown, NV Zone Meet a few years ago and loosing 3rd gear. Drove the last few miles in overdrive 2nd. The X-frame makes getting the transmission/OD out, and back in, difficult.

Perry
        '23 Special Six,
        '50 Business Champ,
        '50 Starlight Champ,
        '60 Lark droptop,
        '63 GT R1
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champ,
        \'50 Starlight Champ,
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I know what you mean about the X-frame as well.... makes you wonder how they put these cars together in the first place. In reference to the time its taking, I'm not upset about working on the Lark. Its something I would rather do than many other things, but there are other things to do. Now do you understand?

sals54
          sals54

Comment

Hey, sals, just remember safety, not only for the jack stand issue that we are all to recently familiar with, but I had a buddy of mine pull a tranny (can't remember what car) and broke his back. I am not sure how he accomplished this, but boy howdy, did it stop him quick. (he is now healed and ambulatory, but cannot lift heavy items anymore)

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

If you want to do it the way they did the first time, just remove the body! [:0] After that it's easy.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yeah, I've found that removing the front clip, then pulling engine and tranny alike is much easier. 'Course, my vehicles don't have fancy paint jobs to worry about. I started resorting to this after having to go through the x-member shufty a few years ago. My overdrive went out and the case cracked. Getting the bugger out was... um, not fun?[8][B)] I tried for quite some time to get the replacement in and finally pulled the entire front clip, pulled the engine, and attached it then. MUCH EASIER! Slid in like a greased pig!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

When I ran MGBs and Sunbeams, engine/trans together was the way to go. I used to do that in my 54 also, just cuz it was so much easier to mate the two together when doing a clutch or trans change. I just figured this would not too big a deal since we just went thru the same dealio with the ElCamino. That was some reminder. Next time they come out together.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

When I removed an engine from a G.T. Hawk, I didnt even have to remove the hood, just the upper tie bar on the radiator support & the radiator (of course), motor mounts, wiring, linkages, hoses, driveshaft & out it came. I am assuming your working on the car in your signature, if so, it should be the same. The only Stude I have worked on that is a bear to r&i the trans is either the convertible or the Avanti due to the x-member. The last one I did on my 60 convertible was on jack stands with the trans tied around a floor jack. Let us know how you make out.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I just finished pulling my transmission, bell housing, torque converter in my Hawk during reading week. It took me about 40 hours on my back and getting it put all back together again. It's a big job when your doing it solo. My biggest challenge was getting the transmission to go the last 1/2". I spent the better part of an hour and half wiggling and pushing at the same time to no avail. I finally got fed up and tied a rope to the floor jack that supported the transmission and got my son to come out to the garage. He pulled the rope, I wiggled the tranny and it flopped into place. He was out in the garage for less than 3 minutes, so much for my frustration level.

I'd hate to think what kind of job it is with the HT or convertible Crossmember Lark frame. YUK!

The Hawk is just about ready to hit the streets again, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to go and get the carburetor bonnet flapper valve and a few other things I ordered from the guys who went down to York.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new transmission and torque converter in the next couple of weeks,... weather permitting.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                      Oakville, Ontario.
                      Hamilton Chapter
                      See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by sals54
                        Now do you understand?

Without a doubt from being under there myself, I knew what you meant, Sal. That sentence just cracked me up. Two separate brand X pickups returning from York with Ohio Region member friends of mine, broke down on the PA Turnpike last weekend. One with a transmission, one with a water pump installed 600 miles ago. Now that would make me pull every ounce of patience I had out. Getting a Stude back running is much more satisfying.

Comment

Working...
                        X