Wrestling with color choice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling with color choice.

Soon, my 57 GH will be going to the body shop, and I still havent decided on a color. It is currently gold, and I like it, but it seems to me that 90% of the Golden Hawks I see are gold, so I want to be a little different. The car is originally Arctic White, but white cars have never been my favorite. I think black and gold looks sharp, but another guy in town has a GT Hawk that he just painted black, so I'll probably stay away from that as well.

I have a couple of colors in mind, but I am wondering if I am being sacriligeous by not going with the original color. Also, if I paint it a different color, will it affect the value when the time comes when I may have to get rid of it?

I know it's my car and my choice, but I'm just wrestling with the decision, and would appreciate some input, whether its good, bad, or indifferent.

I like black. My car was origlally Pacific Blue. Definately not my choice on a Hawk. If you want to stay away from black, how 'bout Midnight blue?

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst
      Also, if I paint it a different color, will it affect the value when the time comes when I may have to get rid of it?

I know it's my car and my choice, but I'm just wrestling with the decision, and would appreciate some input, whether its good, bad, or indifferent.
      You will probably want to keep it a stock 1957 color. Here are you choices for 1957. There was also a spring color not shown called 'Inca Cream' which is a light yellow color.

Craig

Comment

Back is the 70's I first saw a 57 GH that was painted black with gold fins. I thought that combo was really cool. Even if someone has a black GT in town your '57 will stand out if it is also painted black.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

I like these colors together
          58 P5822 Shadowtone Red
          P5815 Jewel Beige

also like the color on this M truck
          or this color with a silver top

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Take that "woodsmoke grey" to the paint shop and look at some of the modern colors that are in the same shade range but have a little or a lot of pearl and/or metalic. In my opinion painting a "non-stock" color should not hurt the value of the car. Value is mostly determinded by fit and finish and detail work. The purist are really not the folks that will buy the car if you sell, there is a much larger crowd of "boomers" with disposable income (yes, even in todays economy) that want a cool ride and have only a fair amount of brand loyalty. Color is the most important "catcher" with respect to generating interest and will get the closer look to actually sell the car. Putting a modern color on the car will make it stand out from the crowd. The 62 Bird I built and sold was painted a 96 Bird color. The paint is what generated interest in the car and the detail stuff is what sold the car.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

I think black is a beautiful color on any C/K model. It really accentuates the lines and shows off the chrome. The Gold Golden hawk could arguably be the icon of the Studebaker brand. I also like colors that are rare for the particular model. Maybe you take your Hawk to 30 shows and people get to see an original color they have never seen before. I have grown to like lighter colors (2 reasons) 1 More forgiving to bodywork. 2 Safety Studies have shown that lighter colored cars are more easily seen and less likely to be in an accident. From all the articles I have read Yellow and white are the safest colors. Just some thoughts (your car your decision) I love it when another Hawk is emerging.

37th Annual Middle TN Show and Swap meet April 4th in Shelbyville Tennessee
              My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
              sigpic
              Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
              in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Hard to beat Black on a hawk.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                sigpic
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

Ken, that Hawk is super. What are the brand of those wheels and measurements? What size tires? jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

15 X 6 Chrysler wheels ........205/75 X 15 tires

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC
                    sigpic
                    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Painted my 57 Golden red with white.It was originally gold too.
                      [img][/img]

Comment

Okay, here's my three cents.I really like the turquoise over Glendale Green combo-stunning and year correct.However if that's not your bag you could go with a modern two-tone combo.One I would suggest would be Ford light teal metallic over dark teal metallic.This was used on F150's in the mid to late 80's I believe.Oh yeah,and have them clearcoat the heck out of it!IMHO you would have something eye-catching,different,and as far as being 'year-correct'you would still be in the ballpark.[8D](Sorry I forgot to ask what color interior you had..[:I])

Comment

Posted - 03/08/2009 : 09:45:28 AM
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back is the 70's I first saw a 57 GH that was painted black with gold fins. I thought that combo was really cool. Even if someone has a black GT in town your '57 will stand out if it is also painted black.

Gary there is a black and gold GH on Ebay right now. $36000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308

"I know nothing"

Sargent Schultz

Comment

I have been seriously considering tourquoise and white, although I would use a little brighter tourquoise.

Comment

If you want it unique try wedgewood blue. Here's my old 1957 Silver Hawk in that color. I don't think I've ever seen a Golden Hawk with it.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                              X