Reproduction TRUCK 4 speed floormats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction TRUCK 4 speed floormats

Hey guys i live in the self procliamed tool&die capitol of the world, Home of Channelok and birth place of the zipper (Talon) anyway along with all our 300 some toolshops (town of 14000) come a multitude of plastics and injection mold and other types of small shops. Everybody is hungry for a little extra work right now. I am going to check around to see if these mats can be repoppped. I myself could use 3 right now. Any way what i need to know is what was the going $ for the last ones SASCO sold, or what do the 3spd ones currently sell for(shouldnt be much different).

The big question is if I can gat all my ducks in a row and line something up deos anybody have a NOS or perfect original to use as a template?

John

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

At the Omaha IM a couple of years ago, SASCO brought their two remaining NOS 4 speed R series mats. My buddy Jim Carter bought one for his 10,000 mile original 2R17A-31. SASCO may still have the second. Call Dennis.

If not, PM me and I can put you in touch with Jim.

Do the math first. Not too many big trucks are restored to show condition. You wouldn't sell too many, probably (even at a relatively low price). If tooling and production costs are anything, it may not be worth it. You may be surprised at how many folks will tell you they'll take one if you make them, but then don't or can't follow through when you do.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good advice, JB. I'm doing the same with the cowl streamers. The plan is to produce some tags and see how many actually sell. My test is to take the cost of production- research, tooling, materials, labor- and divide that by 15, which represents the number I'm gueesing is reasonable to sell. That will give me a price, which is what I'll offer them for. Once offered, I will give it 90 days to see how many actual sales are made. At the end of 90 days I'll have some solid data to determine whether to move to other tags.

If less than 15 are sold, that will tell me the market doesn't support the product. If more than 15 sell, I'll venture into the next tag.

Of course, over time, tags will sell, one here and there. But to be feasible, there has to be sufficient return on investment over a reasonable time. Like you I'm hoping to provide a product for the Club, and I'm not worried about making any killing off it. It stands to reason that I might make a buck down the road, but even then it won't be much. I was just trying to develop a system- and a plan for same- that wouldn't cost me (or much) over the short term, with the potential to maybe make something. I'd be happy with having something to contribute as my profit.

Like your idea, time (and the market) will tell. Any alternate ideas for determining feasibility welcomed!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bams,
        I thought you were in York !! [8D]

Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Keep in ;mind that this forum is only a small fraction of the Stude market. These products would need wide publicity to find the market.

Don Wilson
          53 Commander Hardtop
          64 Champ 1/2 ton
          Centralia, WA
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

Bams,
            Wish I could have been, but decided to wait till next weekend, when the Meet is going on

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

Keep in ;mind that this forum is only a small fraction of the Stude market. These products would need wide publicity to find the market.
              Right. And I'm not really interested in going into the vendor business, or paying for ongoing ads in TW for something that will have such a low saturation threshhold. That's why I've got to try to figure how many pieces I can sell in this limited market, and come up with a manufacturing process that will allow a break-even at that low sat. point.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Does anybody know if the mats sizes are different from the 4 spd to say the clark 5 spd or NP 5 over?

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

According to the Studebaker Parts Manual, there are different part numbers for just about every model of C-Cab. Different part numbers for 4 spd vs. 5 spd. and different numbers for 1/2 and 3/4 ton C-Cabs vs. the 1 Ton to 2 Ton V8's and different again for the 1 Ton and over with a 6 cylinder. Even a different number in the big trucks between those units with a T-98 vs. a NP (4 spd.) transmission.

No wonder they have not been reproduced! [:0][B)]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                  May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                  http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

What would be the difference in C-Cab mats? I'd think it's just shifter hole placement, right?

If so, a repro could be made with no holes, user cuts to fit their application.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Does anybody know if the mats sizes are different from the 4 spd to say the clark 5 spd or NP 5 over?
                      John
                      Perhaps before you get in too deep, other than research. I'd
                      1. poll the STF group and find the most common model or models that one mat would fit. (i agree with Bams50 cause i have a ford 3spd w/OD 4th. and would want to cut my own.

2. How many would not only commit to a buy, but agree put up a non-refundable deposit after you've done all the start up math and have established a price.

3. I need one, my son scored one of the last ones in 07 and has been thumbing his nose at me ever since. I need parity, so i hope this can be done.

Comment

Here's the NOS mat in my friend Jim's truck...

Besides shifter placement...ebrake lever placement; throttle, brake, clutch and dimmer switch holes might be different on different models also.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

This definitely needs more research for sure! I really think that you have the low tunnel for the 3 speeds which is available, and then all the 4 and 5's should take the same deep tunnel shape.

All "C" Cabs '49-'64 [u]SHOULD</u> have the same pedal and dimmer loc. The one exception would be the R Series, with the Starter button on the floor. It would be the "E" Brake lever and the shifter that would change, and they would be different on a 6 Cyl. Inquiries may prove there is too little demand for 4 Speed 6 Cyl. mats because most would be 3 Speed and none are 5 Speed.

There are way too few Clark Trans. trucks and Diesel Trucks out there to worry about those (sorry Craig).

There is a fair demand for the 4 BW, and 5 speed New Process truck mats for V-8's and I would make one mat with the circular patterns to be cutout for both.

I would be up for one for my 7E13 1 Ton, it has a 289 & the new Process 5 Speed O.D. but the (DD) direct would be the same.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Studerich i agree the BW-4 and NP-5's are all I will worry about for now, I would need at least one of each and I think that would cover most of the demand. All mats would likely be made with no cuts in them left to the buyer to do so, or i could do it prior to shipping.

I'll start checking around this week with some of the shops.

John

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Can you tell that I don't even know what day it is?[:I]
                              quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

Bams,
                              Wish I could have been, but decided to wait till next weekend, when the Meet is going on

Parish, central NY 13131

Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1958 Commander "Christine"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...