This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoist Question

I have an opportunity to purchase a used (14 year old) 2 post 220v hoist from another car dealership. The price is right ($500). A friend of mine is there checking it out for me. My question is, will the 6" concrete slab in my garage be sufficient to carry the hoist with a car? It is built to code (18" thick on the outside- 6" in the centre and reinforced with rebar etc). I called the company that poured it and they said it would be fine but I'd like other opinions. They said that they "have heavy equipment on their shop floor and it is nowhere as strong as the concrete they used" for mine. What if I put a thick metal plate down and then bolt the hoist on top of it to distribute the weight?
    A hoist SURE would be nice...
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
    64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

I wouldn't want to advise you one way or the other, but I put a two post lift in my garage that has a 4" slab. The manufacturer said was all that was required. It has been in place about 6 months now and I haven't noticed any cracking.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I wouldn't want to advise you one way or the other, but I put a two post lift in my garage that has a 4" slab. The manufacturer said was all that was required. It has been in place about 6 months now and I haven't noticed any cracking.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

My concrete varies from 3 1/2 to 4 inches. I've had my hoist for 10 years. I've had my 3/4 T diesel pickup on it. No cracks.

Studeski
        Claude Chmielewski
        claudeski@netzero.com
        http://www.studeski.com
        Fillmore, Wisconsin
        1947 M16 Truck
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark
        1964 Commander Wagonaire
        sigpic
        Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski
        Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        53 2R5
        60 Lark VIII Convertible
        60 5E7 Champ pickup
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        63 Lark
        63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        64 Daytona Convertible
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        36 Dictator
        36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

My concrete varies from 3 1/2 to 4 inches. I've had my hoist for 10 years. I've had my 3/4 T diesel pickup on it. No cracks.

Studeski
          Claude Chmielewski
          claudeski@netzero.com
          Fillmore, Wisconsin
          1947 M16 Truck
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Lark
          1964 Commander Wagonaire
          sigpic
          Claude Chmielewski
          Studeski
          Fillmore, Wisconsin
          47 M-16 Truck
          53 2R5
          60 Lark VIII Convertible
          60 5E7 Champ pickup
          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
          63 Lark
          63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
          64 Commander Wagonaire
          64 Daytona Convertible
          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
          36 Dictator
          36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

GREAT! Thanks for the input. My wife will not be too pleased (I just spent $1100 including purchase price for the 64, and 800 buying 4 speed conversion parts for my 63) but...[B)]
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
            64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

GREAT! Thanks for the input. My wife will not be too pleased (I just spent $1100 including purchase price for the 64, and 800 buying 4 speed conversion parts for my 63) but...[B)]
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
              64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

...My wife will not be too pleased (I just spent $1100 including purchase price for the 64, and 800 buying 4 speed conversion parts for my 63) but...[B)]
                Todd
                Just remind her a Studebaker is cheaper than a girlfriend...and if you're in the garage, you won't be in the house annoying her. (At least that's how it works at my house).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

...My wife will not be too pleased (I just spent $1100 including purchase price for the 64, and 800 buying 4 speed conversion parts for my 63) but...[B)]
                  Todd
                  Just remind her a Studebaker is cheaper than a girlfriend...and if you're in the garage, you won't be in the house annoying her. (At least that's how it works at my house).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I tried that line on my last wife and...well...she's my last wife...[B)][]
                    I still remember that line:"If you buy that old car I'm calling a lawyer". I got to keep the car...
                    Luckily, my current wife is more understanding. She's a saint!
                    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                    64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

I tried that line on my last wife and...well...she's my last wife...[B)][]
                      I still remember that line:"If you buy that old car I'm calling a lawyer". I got to keep the car...
                      Luckily, my current wife is more understanding. She's a saint!
                      Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                      64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
                      X