• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Question: 1933 Indy 500 and Studebaker

Here's a question for you all....
    Take a look at this Ebay item...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230062587720
    What does this statement mean?
    Anyone have any more info on this poster, or ad campaign?
    Inquiring minds want to know more!
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I've seen this poster intact - (not missing bits like this one) It actually reads: "The first 12 winners at Jadianapolis were Studebakers." Jadianapolis is a small town in southern Wisconsin. They had a dirt track there and a special weekly race just for Studebaker-powered cars.[:0][}][)]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've seen this poster intact - (not missing bits like this one) It actually reads: "The first 12 winners at Jadianapolis were Studebakers." Jadianapolis is a small town in southern Wisconsin. They had a dirt track there and a special weekly race just for Studebaker-powered cars.[:0][}][)]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nine Studebaker engined cars ran in the 500 in 1933. Seven finished. Six of them finished sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelth.
        http://www.indy500.com/stats/box_sco....php?year=1933

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Nine Studebaker engined cars ran in the 500 in 1933. Seven finished. Six of them finished sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelth.
          http://www.indy500.com/stats/box_sco....php?year=1933

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've seen this poster intact - (not missing bits like this one) It actually reads: "The first 12 winners at Jadianapolis were Studebakers." Jadianapolis is a small town in southern Wisconsin. They had a dirt track there and a special weekly race just for Studebaker-powered cars.
            Wrong, Biggs. I HAVE the original poster. It says...

"The first 12 wieners at Indianapolis were Fudebakers"

Fudebakers meat packing plant had entered their entire line of 28 sausage types at the state fair in Indianapolis in 1933. The top 12 awards went to them.

(BTW, they delivered their wieners in very fast cars to the grocers to insure freshness)

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've seen this poster intact - (not missing bits like this one) It actually reads: "The first 12 winners at Jadianapolis were Studebakers." Jadianapolis is a small town in southern Wisconsin. They had a dirt track there and a special weekly race just for Studebaker-powered cars.
              Wrong, Biggs. I HAVE the original poster. It says...

"The first 12 wieners at Indianapolis were Fudebakers"

Fudebakers meat packing plant had entered their entire line of 28 sausage types at the state fair in Indianapolis in 1933. The top 12 awards went to them.

(BTW, they delivered their wieners in very fast cars to the grocers to insure freshness)

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Frankly, Dick - I think you're full of baloney! You trying to hijack my sad-assed attempt at humor proves you to be a brat of the wurst kind.
                In fact, if what you've said was true, hot dog that you are, you'd have provided some links to material which would validate your claims.
                I'm publicly wishing you bad luck with that engine you've got in your Studebaker. Here's hoping it starts to knock worst than, than, well, you get my drift! No - really, I liked your interpretation![]

On the serious side - I'd like to know how that poster could make that claim. Maybe Studebaker had some printed in advance, just in case it DID turn out like that!

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Frankly, Dick - I think you're full of baloney! You trying to hijack my sad-assed attempt at humor proves you to be a brat of the wurst kind.
                  In fact, if what you've said was true, hot dog that you are, you'd have provided some links to material which would validate your claims.
                  I'm publicly wishing you bad luck with that engine you've got in your Studebaker. Here's hoping it starts to knock worst than, than, well, you get my drift! No - really, I liked your interpretation![]

On the serious side - I'd like to know how that poster could make that claim. Maybe Studebaker had some printed in advance, just in case it DID turn out like that!

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I'm publicly wishing you bad luck with that engine you've got in your Studebaker. Here's hoping it starts to knock worst than, than, well, you get my drift!
                    Very hard to type this from the floor with tears in my eyes

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm publicly wishing you bad luck with that engine you've got in your Studebaker. Here's hoping it starts to knock worst than, than, well, you get my drift!

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Must be the sauerkraut dogs you're eating...
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As a first year owner of a Studebaker and new to the SDC, I must say the laughs I get and the wit I find on here alone is worth my dues.

You guys are the greatest. (and also loads of help to us newbies)

Comment

As a first year owner of a Studebaker and new to the SDC, I must say the laughs I get and the wit I find on here alone is worth my dues.

You guys are the greatest. (and also loads of help to us newbies)

Comment

quote:As a first year owner of a Studebaker and new to the SDC, I must say the laughs I get and the wit I find on here alone is worth my dues.
                              That's the result of driving Studebakers for many many years. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, Georgia
                              '59 Scotsman PU
                              '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
                              http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X