This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restorer in Minnesota

Hi all, I'm looking for a reputible Studebaker restorer around the twin cities area of Minnesota. Any information you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

Ace Auto Uphostery in Annandale does a great job on interiors. Jim Gieselman is the owner and he's an active Studebaker guy. I don't have the phone number on hand, but you can find the number with a search on the internet.

Complete Auto Repair in Watertown (about 45 minutes west of Minneapolis) knows Avantis very well mechanically. Trevor is the owner. He used to work for an Avanti restoration shop some years ago.

I have couple names of body shops that are at least somewhat familiar with Studebakers, but restoration isn't their main business. If you want the names just e-mail me.

I don't know any complete restoration shops in the area that I would recommend.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Ace Auto Uphostery in Annandale does a great job on interiors. Jim Gieselman is the owner and he's an active Studebaker guy. I don't have the phone number on hand, but you can find the number with a search on the internet.

Complete Auto Repair in Watertown (about 45 minutes west of Minneapolis) knows Avantis very well mechanically. Trevor is the owner. He used to work for an Avanti restoration shop some years ago.

I have couple names of body shops that are at least somewhat familiar with Studebakers, but restoration isn't their main business. If you want the names just e-mail me.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

What are you working on? What do you need done?
        Klif

55 Speedster
        42 Champ Coupe
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

What are you working on? What do you need done?
          Klif

55 Speedster
          42 Champ Coupe
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

I would be very interested in finding a great paint and body shop in the Twin Cities too. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comment

I would be very interested in finding a great paint and body shop in the Twin Cities too. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comment

HEI Collision in Waconia has worked on my hawk and some other cars and done a very good job. They did have trouble straightening out a rear quarter panel on the hawk, but they finally got it looking really good. They are mostly a collision shop, but they will consider some restoration type work. Very well run shop. You can talk to Clarence (the owner). His number is 952-442-1123.

Comment

HEI Collision in Waconia has worked on my hawk and some other cars and done a very good job. They did have trouble straightening out a rear quarter panel on the hawk, but they finally got it looking really good. They are mostly a collision shop, but they will consider some restoration type work. Very well run shop. You can talk to Clarence (the owner). His number is 952-442-1123.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Thanks for the great info guys. I was looking for a shop that would do all of it( electrical/interior/paint/mechanical ), but that doesn't sound like it will work.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Thanks for the great info guys. I was looking for a shop that would do all of it( electrical/interior/paint/mechanical ), but that doesn't sound like it will work.

Comment

There are restoration shops in the Minneapolis area, but the ones I know about I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. A friend of my father's brought his 1957 corvette to be restored to a local place and it was already pretty close to a number 2 car. About a year later and over $50,000 spent at the shop it was still slowly coming together. Another shop I know about would sit on cars forever, do the work wrong, break things and then claim ignorance, charge completely outrageous amounts,etc., etc. etc.

I'm just saying you need to be very, very careful when you chose a restoration shop. Once your car is there and it's apart you're really at their mercy.

Comment

There are restoration shops in the Minneapolis area, but the ones I know about I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. A friend of my father's brought his 1957 corvette to be restored to a local place and it was already pretty close to a number 2 car. About a year later and over $50,000 spent at the shop it was still slowly coming together. Another shop I know about would sit on cars forever, do the work wrong, break things and then claim ignorance, charge completely outrageous amounts,etc., etc. etc.

I'm just saying you need to be very, very careful when you chose a restoration shop. Once your car is there and it's apart you're really at their mercy.

Comment

I have been in the car hobby many years, and have built many cars for myself. I don't know of a cheap way to get anything done right or to my satisfaction. Any shop has to keep the lights on and experience, know how, and quailty will not come cheap. You pay for what you get.
                            Also your car may need to be done in several different shops. Paint, and body work, wireing, and what ever else is needed. You also have to be able to work with them, not just drop it off and walk away. No one knows your car better than you or what you want.
                            If you want some names and numbers, get to me off forum. All is available in Mpls.
                            Klif

55 Speedster
                            42 Champ Coupe
                            63 Avanti R2
                            64 Convertible R1

Comment

I have been in the car hobby many years, and have built many cars for myself. I don't know of a cheap way to get anything done right or to my satisfaction. Any shop has to keep the lights on and experience, know how, and quailty will not come cheap. You pay for what you get.
                              Also your car may need to be done in several different shops. Paint, and body work, wireing, and what ever else is needed. You also have to be able to work with them, not just drop it off and walk away. No one knows your car better than you or what you want.
                              If you want some names and numbers, get to me off forum. All is available in Mpls.
                              Klif

55 Speedster
                              42 Champ Coupe
                              63 Avanti R2
                              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
                              X