X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Ratliff
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by kmul221

I drilled & repinned the hinges in my "K" body to a minimal larger size.The mild steel the pivot pins go through tend to get oval shaped due to lack of lubrication over the years & causes them to collapse prematurly & "thunk" when closing the trunk lid .I cut draw pins to length ,drilled & cotter pinned to keep from backing out.If you are neat & try to keep your repair from being obvious,the hinges will work as they should & nobody will notice,Of course new or good used would be better but they are getting hard to find.Remember to keep all pivot points lubricated even on your Brand X as this is the common cause of failure
    Where did you get the stock for the pins and what is it?

John Ratliff

Leave a comment:

• John Ratliff
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by kmul221

I drilled & repinned the hinges in my "K" body to a minimal larger size.The mild steel the pivot pins go through tend to get oval shaped due to lack of lubrication over the years & causes them to collapse prematurly & "thunk" when closing the trunk lid .I cut draw pins to length ,drilled & cotter pinned to keep from backing out.If you are neat & try to keep your repair from being obvious,the hinges will work as they should & nobody will notice,Of course new or good used would be better but they are getting hard to find.Remember to keep all pivot points lubricated even on your Brand X as this is the common cause of failure
    Where did you get the stock for the pins and what is it?

John Ratliff

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    Try Stelfords. They were the only vendor that I know of that still had both hinges available NOS. Here is the link: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelf...dTopBodies.htm

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    Try Stelfords. They were the only vendor that I know of that still had both hinges available NOS. Here is the link: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelf...dTopBodies.htm

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

Leave a comment:

• John Ratliff
    replied
    Hey!! That shim idea sure makes sense. Thanks alot.[^]

John Ratliff

Leave a comment:

• John Ratliff
    replied
    Hey!! That shim idea sure makes sense. Thanks alot.[^]

John Ratliff

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    When the springs are stretched you can put shims-or coins-between the coils. When tension is released, they should be easily removed.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    When the springs are stretched you can put shims-or coins-between the coils. When tension is released, they should be easily removed.

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied

Leave a comment:

• John Ratliff
    replied
    Thanks for the comments.[8D] I will keep my eyes open for some hinges. S.I. shows the left hinge in thier 2006 catalog. Has anyone have any advice on removing the springs?[B)]

Leave a comment:

• John Ratliff
    replied
    Thanks for the comments.[8D] I will keep my eyes open for some hinges. S.I. shows the left hinge in thier 2006 catalog. Has anyone have any advice on removing the springs?[B)]

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Hinges and springs were painted.
    The trunk in my 53 was painted a light gray, not body color. Painting it body color would, ofcourse, be your choice.

In the meantime, I would keep the hinges as well lubricated as you can.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Hinges and springs were painted.
    The trunk in my 53 was painted a light gray, not body color. Painting it body color would, ofcourse, be your choice.

In the meantime, I would keep the hinges as well lubricated as you can.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    Bad News. Trunk hinges on a CK (coupes & Hawks) are a weakspot. I don't think they are being remade, they do tend to wear out and break, and they are getting harder to find.

Best recommendation I can give you is to keep your eyes open, because they are often thrown out with rusty studes.

Paul

Leave a comment:

Working...
X