Bone to pick with Monomaniac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone to pick with Monomaniac

If this has been discussed before, please forgive me, but....

How come the Turning Wheels Photo Contest dates coincide (if you were to destroy a dime, is that coincide?) quite neatly with the season in which there is usually NO outdoor Studebakering in most of those Provinces of the Dominion of Canada east of the Rockies and most of the Northern States of those United States?! Not all of us in the Northern Hemisphere have an ocean current modifying our climate, you know!

How about an extension, say 'til the end of May or so? That will hopefully leave enough time so that the April showers we're supposed to get (WE don't get rain showers UNTIL April!) have a chance to wash the salt off of our streets(all the white suff on our streets is not snow) so it's safe to arouse our Studes out of there LONG winter hibernation.

Pretty please with Lark Shine on it.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Several answers to your question:

1. Weather or seasons were not considered when we set dates.

2. Is it written anywhere that snow in the picture disqualifies it?

3. The photo that is entered could have been taken in the past.

4. When this contest ends, another will immediately follow.

5. Put on your boots and parka and mittens. Start the car and drive to a suitable location and take a photo.

Comment

Hey, from the sunny south USA with no real right to chime in, you left out instructions to shovel before he can drive.
      [img][/img]

John Clary
      Greer, SC
      I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

1. So you're giving us six-month-snow-bound fellow Stude-maniacs an extension?
        2. Well, I can raise the garage door, but the resulting picture would not even be in the running and the Studes are NOT coming out until there is no salt or salt dust left on the roadways of South-Central Ontario!! I'd like to be able to let our son inherit my Studebakers and not have to use a shovel to move them!
        3. Nobody has ever accused me of being a photographer, so few, if any, posed pics of my vehicles exist. But, I may make an effort to submit a picture to a Turning Wheels contest. But since there is salt on the road, please edit out the garage door and stud framing!! I hope the camera even WORKS since it was -29C with no wind chill factor this morning! My 15W40 (yes, CI grade, Bob P.)will not stir very well with 6 volt electrics trying to push!!
        4. How "immediately"?
        5. Refer to #'s 2 and 3. Also, apparently you don't have to remember to even turn on the heater in Southern B.C.! Hey! That's what I'll do! Just move to the southern West Coast!! What's the real estate market like in Vernon?

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
        47 M-5
        Izzer Buggy
        Junior Wagon
        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Good answer , Art !

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob, you're no help!

Besides, you live in the Banana belt area of Ontario! But you still live in ONTARIO and that probably qualifies you to have had enough record-breaking snow to feel sorry for yourself. I do (feel sorry for myself)!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Good answer Art,,, But I can't operate my camera with mittens on!

Oglesby,Il.
              " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Its funny you mention about 6 volt in this cold weather ....I drove a 6V Studebaker for about 7 years back in the late 60's and early '70s and never once had a problem with starting it and that was back when winter was winter not like todays winters .
                I wonder how our grandparents ever survived it in those old 30 and 40's cars
                One thing I do remember not being too great was the heater and defrosters .....always ws scraping ice off the inside of my Studes windows
                That one thing that sure improved thats for sure

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Guess that makes this side of Lake Erie the balmy side of the frozen banana belt. I'm hoping for a rainy March to wash the salt away, too. This winter's been brutal and it's only half over! Rats.
                  Don't mess with Mono, STEWDI, we must accept that TW editors rule.
                  If you bring your car to a meet that we are both at during the next contest period, I'll be glad to shoot it and try to get the daylight on the correct side.

Comment

Hey Rog, your complaints only apply to two of your Studes. Slap some skis on that Buggy and have at it. If you need, I might be persuaded to lone you a horse.

Doug

6E40-195, 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6
                    Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada
                    1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Maybe you do need to move to southern BC, [u]or need an excuse to get a M29C and a 6x6</u>.

James

The Bell Collection
                      Bellingham, WA.
                      Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                      Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Doug - I didn't think of that!

'Only problem is, with three bonafide Studebakers occupying a tight two-car garage, I've had to suspend the Izzer (sans wheels) from an electric winch arrangement ABOVE "Jeannie" my M5. I'd still had to move Jeannie out into the salted slush of the townhouse laneway (my driveway is less than 25 ft.). To make matters worse, all our deck furniture is wintering in Jeannie's bed and some of it is piled higher than the underside of the buggy, so i'd have to unload part of the furniture because the buggy is as high as it will go ... blah, blah,blah - you get the picture.

Still hoping. I know the TW editors, as hard as they are, have hearts the size of an E45!!!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                        47 M-5
                        Izzer Buggy
                        Junior Wagon
                        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Thanks for the offer, barnlark. Hope to meet up with you sometime.

James, I'd love them, but my garage is at capacity already (see above). Note to self (and all car nuts): Next life, a bigger garage!!

Art, please forgive all my nuttiness on this cold, short winter day with snow piled high, salted slush every where on the streets and packed in the wheel wells of my brand X (with wet carpet frozen to the floor). It's too cold to even wash a car that cannot stay indoors to dry! I'll just have to remember to pose some of the fleet this summer OR see what that new contest will be about![:I]

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                          47 M-5
                          Izzer Buggy
                          Junior Wagon
                          Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Roger--

Actually...if you've got access to decent floodlights or such and a wide-angle lens...an M5 stuffed to the gunwales with furniture, with an Izzer dangling in thin air above it, would surely be a Studebaker photo like no other!

S.

Comment

Some of the most beautiful pics I've seen on this forum are in the snow or on the ice. Just take the pic.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                              X