Where did these emblems come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did these emblems come from?

I recently purchased my first Studebaker, and I'm almost certain there are three emblems on my car that shouldn't be there. Being a Stude novice, I can't immediately identify them, and searching parts vendors on the web hasn't helped either. I think maybe the previous owner just like the way they looked, and put them on the car. A huge tub of parts came with the car, and I found a box that held what look like three radio-delete plates...and appear to be the source of the emblems. I have a '55 Commander 4-door... What are these, and where should they be?

I believe those emblems designate a Canadian built Studebaker.

Bob Miles
    I have seen those before

Comment

Hmmm... If true, the mystery deepens! This car was actually completed in California, sold new in Oregon...and then made its way back to the Midwest. I don't think its build-history ever included Canada.

Comment

It looks like the radio delete plates (as we call them these days) are the source of the extra emblems on your car, as you have already stated.

Previous owners do all sorts of things to cars that leave us scratching our heads from time to time. Hopefully that is the extent of the strange things they have done, but don't count on it.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Anybody have an idea what model/year the blanking-plates fit? Not even the colors seem like a '55 anything.

Comment

Definitely not only from Canadian Studebakers . I think there was a crown like that on ‘52 Champion glove box doors .
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

• 6hk71400
              6hk71400 commented
              Editing a comment
              Having owned several 52's including a Commander Convertible, none of my cars every had that emblem. Radio Roy is on point with his comment

Seems to me it's on the clock delete plate as there's already a radio mounted.

Comment

The Champion Crown Emblem goes on Glove Box Doors of 6 Cyl. Champions, those appear to be for a '55.
              All others are added by an over zealous owner!

It is not a Maple Leaf as on Canadian Cars.

The Radio Block-off Plates have different angles on the bottom for different Dashes, Sedan and Coupe/Hardtop.
              The Green one likely fits your Alta Vista Windshield Car and is different than a Early Straight Windshield '55.
              They are all likely '53 to '55 of various Body Types.

The Ring around the Fender Mounted Crown is a '53/'54 Front Fender Emblem to surround the "S" or "V8" on Regal Champions and Commanders.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 11-19-2022, 03:19 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Definitely used on ‘52 Champions, on the glove box door- my first car was a ‘52 Champ, and I love that emblem!

Comment

This is the way my radio delete "plate" looks like:
                  (maby the flat plates are for the non Ultra Vista?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurst 15.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1967409

Comment

Here’s a 52 Champion dash.

Name:	74CC4FF4-1C6E-4670-A4FC-6A812D2CDCD2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1967417

Comment

• 6hk71400
                      6hk71400 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Learn something every day. All the 52's I have owned wee all Commanders.

Someone that is a vendor or has a parts manual could with research solve the original question: where do these emblems come from. Over the years I have occasionally seen the emblems on cars and parts for sale. This would help solve fading memory for me as I do recall someone telling me it was for Canadian cars.

Bob Miles
                    My paper trail nowadays is usually on a roll in the bathroom

Comment

Thanks to everyone for helping to solve the mystery. I can't imagine why the previous owner decided to put Champion emblems on a Commander...but everybody has their "thing". I still haven't come across any images with the blanking-plates he used to source the emblems. They always seem to be on the glovebox.

The next question is the steering wheel. A few have asked if that's a Champion wheel in my Commander, since there's no chrome ring. Others tell me that any trim level below "Regal", with manual steering, will have a fairly basic wheel. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Let me try to weigh in on this. If your body tag on the right side of the firewall ends in a 3, it is the lowest in the model range. For some reason in 1955, Commanders had a one year only designation of 16G8 and the 55 President was moved to the 6H model id. My 55 speedster has a body id number of 6HK7.

Hope this helps

Bob Miles
                        Studebaker can be tricky to track

Comment

From the pix of your car it's clear in aint no Regal:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	55.png Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	1967459
                          My Josephine is a Regal, different side trim & the "cap" above the windshield:

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1967462

Comment

Working...
                          X