Studes in Seattle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes in Seattle....

.... I'm using a system in the lobby of the Holiday Inn across from Sea-Tac airport. We're here on a visit to attend a decommissioning ceremony for my old US Navy Carrier (USS Kitty Hawk) in Bremerton, next Saturday....
    Today I spent a lot of time downtown Seattle exploring, etc. While on the Monorail, returning from the Space needle, spotted a light blue 59 Lark in a parking lot. The wife didn't want to walk back and get a photo, but ....
    ...Also in the Ivers Seafood place on Alaska Way, by the Ferry... in the lobby were a many photos of the establishment. One of the pics was from 1949 and had a 4 door bulletnose right on front of the building ( must have been late '49).. Weather is cold and wet.....

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Hey Bob - Welcome to the "Wet" Coast!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Just from hanging around this forum i have noticed that a lot of Stude activity is in the northwest.Living in the Midwest there seems to be very little cars here as compared to up there. there seems to be a lot of 64-66 cars there. at least nice ones. is that true? Never been to Washington Oregan or Montana, my daughter once lived in Boise Id. so i got to go there.Have always wanted to come up there and plan to as soon as i'm outta this prision taking care of my mom with alzihimers. anytime i get free it cost me $10 an hour just to have someone stay with her till i get back. i sold my 1934 Chev street rod a while back to a fellow here in Tulsa, i seen him the other day and he said the car was sold to a guy in Montana.I saw what i thought was the car (a 1934 Chevy Std. 3/window coupe red in color) in a magazine a month or so ago and he was from Portland Or.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I didn't see any Studebakers when I was in Seattle, but I saw this.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

So, they are finally decommissioning the old Kitty Hawk? That thing was the last diesel boiler out there on the seas. (of course, you all know, everything out there now is nuclear) It is literally a piece of history! I am actually very sad to hear that they are getting rid of it! I believe that thing was originally commisioned back in the early sixies...63 if I remember right. Hey, at least it has had a great run! By brother was stationed on her for four years, his tour ending about a year and a half ago.

What is really sad, is that it will probably be sent out to where all the other old ships are sent to rust and rot away.[xx(] It hurts me just as bad as seeing a classic Studebaker sitting out to rust and rot away. Almost more so, because those ships will never have the chance to be restored to their original glory.(I mean, who would? The cost alone would be impossible...not to mention where you would store it!!)

When the Kitty Hawk is decomissioned, it will be the end of an era. A very good era that I hate to see end.

Sorry that I took this thread off course, I just have a soft spot for those old boilers...

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

Just returned from Bremerton the 26th for two week stay with my two sons, both have 26 yrs in the Navy, the only Stude i seen was a red pu. setting in front of D.G. house, dont know where that guy hides but i can never catch him home.Go to that area twice a year.Be back in JUly D. G. maybe then. G.L. McVey

Comment

I think Studebakers gravitate towarsd the west coast. There are very few on the east coast. Maybe they just rusted away. I wonder if Studebaker sales wer more "regional" way back when. I have talked to some of the older folks in My Mothers home town and they tell me that Studes were rarely seen.

Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Just heard today that the ceremony will take place, but it won't be final and they will not lower the flag. This is because the G.H.W. Bush, although commissioned a couple weeks ago, still isn't seaworthy yet and has to be taken out on trials.

In April 1961, I was assigned to the (brand new) U.S S.Kitty Hawk and am an original crew member (plankowner).

Last August when the Kitty Hawk sailed on it's final movement from San Diego to Bremerton, WA, I was invited to take the cruise and was aboard with 55 others as guests of the U.S. Navy. Six days at sea and we had a ball...

When I was onboard, I visited almost every space on the ship and can say that it's still in fantastic shape and was very well taken care of. The spaces were cleaned and polished daily. You could almost eat off (some) of the floors. The last time it was refitted, all the electronics were updated. In the CIC area, where I worked, there's nothing but large plasma displays and state of the art equipment. It was quite a thrill being there, almost like living part of your life over. Something to be very proud of having served on....

Bob Johnstone
                www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                55 President State Sedan
                70 Avanti (R3)
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I too spent some time at sea onboard the USS Kitty Hawk (CV63), but only for a few short weeks back in 1991. She was fresh out of SLEP (Service Life Extension Program). It's a bit like a 'frame-off resto' for an AirCraft Carrier. Having been in the shipyards for four or five years, she was not perfect. My helicopter squadron made two trips up to Philly, PA (from Jacksonville, FL) before she was ready to put to sea. Both trips were tough- my former carrier- the USS Coral Sea (CV43) was there right alongside being striped of useful parts prior to being scrapped. When Kitty Hawk finally did sail- she got as far as the outer channel marker when she promptly went dead in the water... [:0] [V]
                  We flew the needed parts out, and then went out for a week of sea trials. For an 'old' boat she sure hauled the mail!!! I got a bit more sea time onboard when she needed to go out and get her flight deck certified. In time she must've gotten her act together- look how long ago that was...

Rest easy Pretty Kitty~ and say 'hello' to USS Ranger (CV61) and USS Independence (CV62)~ your long retired friends resting up there in Bremerton. [^]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

In April 1961, I was assigned to the (brand new) U.S S.Kitty Hawk and am an original crew member (plankowner). Last August when the Kitty Hawk sailed on it's final movement from San Diego to Bremerton, WA, I was invited to take the cruise and was aboard with 55 others as guests of the U.S. Navy. Six days at sea and we had a ball...
                    When I was onboard, I visited almost every space on the ship and can say that it's still in fantastic shape and was very well taken care of. The spaces were cleaned and polished daily. You could almost eat off (some) of the floors. The last time it was refitted, all the electronics were updated. In the CIC area, where I worked, there's nothing but large plasma displays and state of the art equipment. It was quite a thrill being there, almost like living part of your life over. Something to be very proud of having served on.... Bob Johnstone
                    Speaking of which- I think I know this guy!!! Watch the video here:

http://www.navy.mil/media/multimedia/kh/kh.htm

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

....Oh no, I didn't want that to get out.... but say Hi next time we meet..

Bob Johnstone
                      www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                      55 President State Sedan
                      70 Avanti (R3)
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

That video was very intriguing. I love that stuff! It is also nice to be able to put a face...and a voice, with your name!!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Working...
                        X