Lark/Hawk emblem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark/Hawk emblem.

I find it interesting that Studebaker used Hawk emblems on the first of the Larks, 1959, and again at the end of the run with the 1966 model.

I know the first Larks were model- X for a while and maybe that didn't leave enough lead time for new emblems when the Lark name was chosen.

My 59 Lark has a Hawk grille emblem and a Hawk steering wheel/horn button center.

The last Studebakers used a Hawk bird on the engine size emblem on the fenders. Not from a Hawk. Also, one in the grille.

So, my question is "why"? What did they go back to a Hawk? Just so they could use some of the Hawk emblems from the 64 Hawk? Or, is there another reason?

The 66 also had the Hawk emblem on the center of the wheel covers. If you look closely the Hawk emblems on the 66 has extended talons and is not exactly like the earlier hawk emblem.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Remember by 1966 there was no more Lark, so using that badge was out of the question...would have been too confusing. The Hawk icon represented upmarket class and prestige, harkening back to the GT, and in '66 that is exactly what they wanted the buying public to think of.
      Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        The 66 also had the Hawk emblem on the center of the wheel covers. If you look closely the Hawk emblems on the 66 has extended talons and is not exactly like the earlier hawk emblem.
        bez, I don't have any emblems or good enough images of either to tell. Okay, I'll look a little closer on each. Is that for all or just one or two in particular? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
          Remember by 1966 there was no more Lark, so using that badge was out of the question...would have been too confusing. The Hawk icon represented upmarket class and prestige, harkening back to the GT, and in '66 that is exactly what they wanted the buying public to think of.
          Yes, That sounds valid.

I did look at the emblems again and bez was right. They are different and so there was no parts bin raiding for any of those. It was a deliberate design change and money was spent. I guess they were able to do changes that didn't cost to much but made an impact. However slight it may have been it's a more aggressive bird and the Hawk emblem is more of an Art Deco piece. Just my opinion there.

Comment

I think a much better option would have been to go with the Lazy "S", but it is what it is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	64J8R2grilleEmblem.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	1942891 Click image for larger version  Name:	Commander Black F8 Int 4 Speed3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	1942892
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>This Commander Emblem could have been used
            Of course a minor change would have been
            deleting the R1 or R2.
            But you do have to remember that the detail
            design work was in CANADA, so probably Not!

Here's the '64 Commander Door Panel with the same size Circle "S" imprint as the "C" pillar Emblem above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Commander Special4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.1 KB ID:	1942893
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-04-2022, 08:15 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
              Sure enough they didn't want to call those cars Larks, however .... oh never mind!
              David L

Comment

Working...
              X