Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I did on my winter vacation at the GNRS. Ute!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did on my winter vacation at the GNRS. Ute!

I had the honor of meeting the people responsible for its beauty today and seeing it on the last day of display. The place was huge, with many buildings full of cars, but I amazingly walked right to it, in the correct building in thirty seconds from the parking lot as if it were a magnet. I didn't have much time to get away to do this, but I took my little CoolPix and fired off a few shots.
    It can't be said enough, this car is amazing in person. There were so many people there, but this car drew deserved attention because it was so different from everything else. And as you can see below, different was very common here.
    I met Dick for the first time in person, his body man/painter/young genius, Jon Falcon.. and drive train donator and all around mechanical and electrical brain, Gord, huddled around the numerous new adoring Studebaker fans. One couldn't have met three more humble guys about their part in this. Pardon the many pics, not all Studes, but it was a great event to soak in the So Cal weather for an afternoon. Hope you enjoy:

[img][/img]
    Fairplex archway entrance..that Dart Swinger raffle car wasn't getting near as much attention as the Keystone Chapter's Avanti II received in Lancaster. Those guys are persistent, I'm surprised it wasn't here too. [)]

[img][/img]
    Dick and Gord on the left chatting with the crowd.

[img][/img]
    Gord flew in from the Great White North. We both enjoyed a color other than white on the ground today.

[img][/img]
    Jon, the man responsible for that paint job. [^] Dick is behind him in the dark gray shirt.

[img][/img]
    The angle from behind. The Kart stayed out and drew a crowd all its own.

[img][/img]
    Here's a good shot of how the shift knob came out. [8D]

[img][/img]
    This was a 50 Studebaker truck with some added features.

[img][/img]
    The George Barris car, right across from the Ute.

[img][/img]
    This is what I meant by different offerings. I think I made a model of this as a kid.

[img][/img]
    I just posted this one because she looks like she likes to go for a ride in anything with the top down.

[img][/img]
    If you like roadsters, this was the place to be. Gord told me one of them had a Stude V/8 in it, but I couldn't find which one.

[img][/img]

Great event!

Thats pretty cool! When are they giving out awards?

Dylan
    '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

barnlark,
      Thanks for the pix. I was even in the LA area on Saturday, but had so many stops to make, I just could not justify the visit. Having a car on a trailer and trying to park was not too inviting either. The show looks like it was great tho. The Ute looks very much at home in the company of those other showpieces.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

I found the $9 caso lot. Plenty of room, Sals54. They probably would have soaked you for the trailer too, but lots of room for it & far away from anyone if you wanted. A very cool crowd; car appreciative-type and at $20 a head to get in, no one there for trouble in the lot.[8D]

Comment

Thanks Dave for those pictures. Gosh that truck was real hard to look at. The Ute looks really Great there, Dick and Company Did a Mighty Fine Job.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Dave - can't thank you enough for these shots.

The Ute's a beaut; we get a chance to put a couple more faces together with their names (like YOUNG Mister Falcon... how did I suddenly get old enough to be the grandfather of a top-notch body painter/fender bender?); and I even got a couple of tugs of nostalgia from your pics of my old stomping grounds.

Glad you're having a good time in SoCal. Safe travels... and keep posting those pics!

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
            In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
            If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Cool pics, Dave (except for the one with the ugly fat guy).

We got the Ute in the trailer OK, and it's going for a photo shoot in the morning.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Great to meet you, Gord. Wish I could have made it to the Peterson Museum with you guys. Glad the Ute is safe. Can't wait for that video for the first engine rumble when it gets back up north.

Comment

WE never made it to the Peterson Museum. We did have the lightning tour of downtown L.A., however.

Comment

You guys aren't typing this from the L.A. County Jail are you? I knew I'd missed something. If I had time I would have given you the fast Mulholland run, or the one lane, no guardrail drive up Chaney Trail that scares my daughter to death if you were accepting tours. [}]

Comment

Very nice, Dave; thanks for the pictures. Gratifying to see how young Painter Jon Falcon appears to be; good to have younger guys coming up. And if he did The Ute; he's good!

Did Dick have an easel displaying the photograph(s) of the car as shown at the 1959 GNRS? They may have been out of the line of sight in these photos.

Again, thanks for the photos...and congratulations, Dick. Were there any awards to be had? Did it win any? BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dave,many Thanks for the pics! The Ute is wayyyyyy to cool! I can only dream of having something that smooth!! Can't decide about that pickup,but the hottie in the roadster is
                        A-OK! It is great to see some Stude pics when its ZERO degrees here and I am up to my knees in snow! Thanks again.

Comment

Dick was that Rodz Deluxe doing the photoshoot? Might have to subscribe to insure a copy []

Can't wait for Dicks post about his overall feelings on the show, experience, and plans.[^]

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Nice job Dick. Wish I could have been there. Things are warming up here. It was only -2 this morning.

Claude Chmielewski
                            Studeski
                            http://www.studeski.com
                            Fillmore, Wisconsin
                            47 M-16 Truck
                            62 GT Hawk
                            63 Lark
                            64 Commander Wagonaire
                            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                            63 GT Hawk R2
                            [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
                            sigpic
                            Claude Chmielewski
                            Studeski
                            http://www.studeski.com
                            Fillmore, Wisconsin
                            47 M-16 Truck
                            53 2R5
                            60 Lark VIII Convertible
                            60 5E7 Champ pickup
                            62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                            63 Lark
                            63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                            64 Commander Wagonaire
                            64 Daytona Convertible
                            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                            36 Dictator
                            36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Bob, there were two signs displayed and a small black and white history information flyer for visitors that I grabbed, but didn't shoot close up yet. You can see the small folder display on the floor by the Kart's steering wheel next to Gord and Jon in the last picture below:

[img][/img]
                              Sorry for the flash reflection, but we've seen this from Dick. It was on a floor easel to not block the car, I think.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
                              Dick was explaining some things to another car builder friend of his, as Jon and Gord look on.

Comment

Working...
                              X